U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-08-2010, 05:21 AM

1,570 posts, read 2,214,682 times

Advertisements

I agree with Camden Northsider: look into South and Southwest high schools. They have some good programs for gifted students. The Longfellow neighborhood is close to South High, and is served by the light rail, which you could conceivably ride to the Fort Snelling station to get to work. Southwest is in a nice area of the city, and isn't much farther from work. (Sorry, I don't know about sports at either school, I never went out for them in HS.)

As far as your son feeling comfortable and able to make friends, I'd give the nod to the city schools. Although I went to Minneapolis schools in 80's and early 90's, and I'm European-American, I was in some programs for "smart kids" with kids of all races, and we cared more about whether you were an Elf or a Dwarf than black or white. Hope this helps.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 05:39 AM

10 posts, read 7,780 times
Any non-denominational church would be great.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:41 AM

Well, I would prefer urban than suburban.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:50 AM

I spent all day yesterday checking the prices of the homes there. I could get a pretty decent home for around $250K. I looked at Edina, Eden Prarie, St. Louis Park, and Richfield. Today, I plan to look at South and Southwest.

I would be a bit concerned about the airport noise. But at the same time I know that there will be lots of snow and I don't want to be too far away from home so that my commute is a bit easier.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:49 AM

20,797 posts, read 32,258,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamscr24 View Post
I spent all day yesterday checking the prices of the homes there. I could get a pretty decent home for around $250K. I looked at Edina, Eden Prarie, St. Louis Park, and Richfield. Today, I plan to look at South and Southwest.

I would be a bit concerned about the airport noise. But at the same time I know that there will be lots of snow and I don't want to be too far away from home so that my commute is a bit easier.
Eagan, Mendota Heights and the Highland Park area of St. Paul are going to be your easiest commutes. You really don't want anything west of 35W because of traffic.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:56 AM

10,082 posts, read 14,687,777 times
Richfield would also be a very easy commute; that's practically in Fort Snelling's backyard. Parts of South Minneapolis would also be very, very easy; airport noise can vary a great deal even within very small geographic areas, but you'll very quickly get a sense of whether or not a place is too loud for you. Eagan is going to feel more suburban than urban; not as sure about Mendota Heights, but from my limited visits there it seems pretty suburban. Highland Park is more urban (although not in a bustling city kind of way); there's a nice walkable core with a lot of shops and restaurants. It's a nice area. Richfield is sort of a blend of urban and suburban, depending on where you are. (it's older, inner-ring suburb) Same thing could be said for much of the far south parts of Minneapolis.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:35 AM

Excellent! I was looking at Mendota Heights. I haven't checked out Highland Park, but there have been some suggestions for that place as well. I think I will start my research on some of the suggested areas. I hope I will make the best decision that will suit me and my family. It's not easy just packing up and moving to a strange place.

I thank you for all of your helpful responses because you and other posters have given me so much to look at.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:54 AM

1,777 posts, read 3,528,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamscr24 View Post
My son loves to play basketball, but he is very competitive when it comes to Track. So, track and basketball would be the two sports that he will be doing. I wanted to also look at joining the local YMCA. Me, my daughter and son love to workout and do activities together. We have always been members of the YMCA so I would like that as well.
There are some great YMCA/YWCAs here in the metro area- have never been myself, but the Lake Street "Y" in So Mpls is known as being one of the better facilities around (YWCA of Minneapolis). To see all metro "Y" locations so you can cross-reference comparative to where you are househunting, go here:
YMCA Twin Cities : Locations
YWCA of Minneapolis

adamscr, where did you say you were coming from? And you mentioned you would prefer urban more than suburban, can you give some more details around this preference?

Very generally speaking, residential neighborhoods in Mpls and its first ring suburbs are fairly similar- there is a denser neighborhood feel of tree-lined streets with sidewalks on standard city lots- a lot of the first ring suburbs will probably have slightly larger lots on average and some may not be as tied to the "grid" system of streets in Minneapolis as much as others. In Minneapolis you're more likely to find neighborhood business nodes with locally owned businesses along with a few concentrated areas of big box retailers, in the suburbs you're likely to find more big box retailers and less locally owned business. Generally speaking, diversity decreases once you leave the city limits (and within city limits, often times diversity decreases the farther you get from the city core), but there are suburbs with some diversity (esp. suburbs like Richfield) and this has been a growing trend in the past few years. Most areas that you are targeting or that would be close to where you work will be very safe places to live- as a general rule of thumb, crime will be higher the closer you get to downtown Mpls- this isn't always the case, however, and downtown itself is actually a pretty safe place (it tends to be the neighborhoods directly surrounding it that have some of the higher crime rates, but these are generally pretty low rates compared to other large metro areas, there are some very safe neighborhoods in/around downtown, and there isn't really anywhere you should worry about going to for fear of becoming a victim of crime, in my opinion).

Otherwise, the more suburban areas that aren't directly adjacent to the city (e.g. Mendota Heights, Eagan, etc.) are going to be more suburban development- cul-de-sacs, larger lots, homes built in just the past few decades, and large concentrations of national chains/big box retailers. Some of these do have some density and diversity (Eagan's racial diversity has been growing in recent years, but their numbers are still pretty small), but the feel will be substantially different.

As for educational options between the areas- you will not find much difference in the quality of education between the urban and suburban high schools despite what you'll hear from a lot of people locally and/or on this board; there are great schools in the cities and suburbs, my suggestion would be to ask folks on this board and/or talk to the schools themselves once you think you have decided on a location, and decide if you want your children to attend a diverse urban high school with a good reputation (South/Southwest High in Mpls would be closest to your work I believe; i'm not sure which high school services Highland Park but I know there's a good one, i'm just not as familiar with St. Paul side) or a less diverse, more affluent suburban high school district (Eagan, Mendota Heights, Edina, Golden Valley, etc.)....or an inbetween of the above (in terms of size, racial and socioeconomic diversity, density of neighborhoods, etc.) like St. Louis Park, Richfield, etc.

Good luck and welcome to MSP!

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 08-08-2010 at 12:03 PM..

Old 08-08-2010, 12:12 PM

15,670 posts, read 15,590,980 times
I'd say Richfield or East Bloomington

Old 08-08-2010, 05:58 PM

20,797 posts, read 32,258,978 times
Mendota Heights is far from "suburban"

The problem with the Richfield area near Fort Snelling is the constant airport noise, same with South Minneapolis near Fort Snelling.

Diversity is a matter of opinion around here, you can have a school that is 90% African American and 10% everything else and that is more diverse then a school that is 90% white and 10% everything else

Last edited by golfgal; 08-11-2010 at 09:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul