Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 07:13 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,356,859 times

Advertisements

Luckily this same Company is also responsible for producing the world's supply of Wild Rice Soup and has helped mitigate the lost income on hot dish.

MINNESOTA WILD RICE SOUP

2 c. cooked wild rice (about 1/2 c. uncooked)
1 lg. onion, diced
2 lg. fresh mushrooms, diced (or 1 sm. can sliced mushrooms, drained)
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter
1 c. flour
8 c. hot chicken broth
Salt & pepper to taste
1 c. light cream or half and half
1-2 tbsp. sherry or dry white wine (opt.)

Prepare wild rice as directed. Saute onions and mushrooms in the butter, about 3 minutes or until softened. Sprinkle in flour, stirring and cooking until flour is mixed in but don't let it brown. Slowly add the chicken broth until blended well. Add rice and salt and pepper to taste. Heat thoroughly; stir in the cream. Add dry white wine if desired. Heat gently, but do not boil.
Yield: about 12 servings. NOTE: Recipe can be made in advance up to the point of adding cream. Then reheated and finished at serving time.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:28 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,656,990 times
Go purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka!
Actually, not this summer because Wayzata beach has been closed off and on due to high levels of bacteria in the water.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:34 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,335,929 times
You know you're from Minnesota when 75% of your meals contain cream of mushroom soup as a primary ingredient.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:06 PM
PII PII started this thread

12 posts, read 20,519 times
Why did this thread get hijacked by people posting about everything from Indian food and soup, to being cleansed? Please remove the food spam! Lets get on exotic cars!

I see great story and photo galleries in Minneapolis Magazine where the socialites gather at countless charity events, typically driving and arriving in amazing cars!

Outside of NYC/ NW Jersey, I've never seen so many Bentleys driving around (mostly Lake Minnetonka - Orono, Wayzata, Edina area). I love this place more everyday.. Passed a new Bentley GTC in Wayzata this morning and Flying Spur at the gas station.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:13 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,335,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PII View Post
Why did this thread get hijacked by people posting about everything from Indian food and soup, to being cleansed? Please remove the food spam! Lets get on exotic cars!

I see great story and photo galleries in Minneapolis Magazine where the socialites gather at countless charity events, typically driving and arriving in amazing cars!

Outside of NYC/ NW Jersey, I've never seen so many Bentleys driving around (mostly Lake Minnetonka - Orono, Wayzata, Edina area). I love this place more everyday.. Passed a new Bentley GTC in Wayzata this morning and Flying Spur at the gas station.
So you don't have any decent hotdish recipies

Have you been to Chicago or LA? There are 100x more exotics on the roads. Maybe you have a point if you're talking percentages.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:33 PM
PII PII started this thread

12 posts, read 20,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
So you don't have any decent hotdish recipies

Have you been to Chicago or LA? There are 100x more exotics on the roads. Maybe you have a point if you're talking percentages.
Of course there are way more in places like So Cal, SE Florida, Chicago, NY, Dallas, Vegas, etc etc, but Minneapolis is still up there. I'd put it just a step below an area like Denver, only because they have new Ferrari, Aston Martin and Lamborghini dealers. We have Bentley and Maserati but the Twin Cities has a great selection of used exotics of every make. You can service everything here too!

The Western Burbs are very different from the rest of the state, at least that's what I've realized in my short time here. There is so much wealth, people are into designer fashions, and the country club scene of who's who. It's almost like NW Jersey without the accent and a somewhat passive aggressive nature rather than in your face straight fowardness they have.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:49 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,356,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PII View Post
The Western Burbs are very different from the rest of the state, at least that's what I've realized in my short time here. There is so much wealth, people are into designer fashions, and the country club scene of who's who. It's almost like NW Jersey without the accent and a somewhat passive aggressive nature rather than in your face straight fowardness they have.
You are correct in your observations. Many people like this aspect of the Western suburbs. It's not my style personally...but I guess it isn't all bad as it adds a little bit of character and variety to the Twin Cities metropolitan area. If you go east of there into Minneapolis proper you may see me pimping my exotic '01 Chevy Cavalier with 150K+ miles on it. It was purchased on a Denny Hecker car lot too, so word up. Can we hang or what?

Old 08-13-2010, 12:57 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,058,608 times
Well people in the western suburbs are some of the wealthiest, hence why you see all the fancy trendy vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
If you go east of there into Minneapolis proper you may see me pimping my exotic '01 Chevy Cavalier with 150K+ miles on it. It was purchased on a Denny Hecker car lot too, so word up. Can we hang or what?
Haha!!! We got a mid 90s(95 I believe) blue Chevy Astro minivan with over 200k miles on it! It sure isn't fancy or trendy or exotic, but it works!

Old 08-16-2010, 10:36 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,716,559 times
A lot of those really fancy cars aren't very practical in MN's climate; it could be that you're noticing so many of them in such a small time because everyone who does own one is out riding around while the weather is nice. And a drive out to Lake Minnetonka is a classic Twin Cities summer drive. I do agree, though, that the western suburbs have a reputation for being a bit more flashy with the money and the status symbols; not that people in other parts of the metro don't also have a lot of money and don't also have their own forms of status symbols, but I think it comes out in different ways. (or maybe they just keep their luxury cars elsewhere; many very wealthy Minnesotans -- as well as perhaps a surprising number of middle class people -- have second homes in more moderate climates.)

It's also easier to be wealthy in MN than in many states -- not to become rich, necessarily, but rather that you can get more for your money. I suppose people can argue about things like taxes, etc., but you can live a more luxurious lifestyle on less money here than in many other cities. Perhaps that translates into a larger percentage of people with more money for exotic cars and other luxuries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul