Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 10:18 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,369,864 times

Advertisements

So I didn't even know these places existed until a few weeks ago. We went to one in a suburb of Chicago and I thought it was a pretty nice change of pace to going to a bar. Anyone found any good ones in the Twin Cities? I'm sure they are around somewhere but I've never seen one. A google search brought back some results but none of them sounded like clearcut hookah bars but more of places that just happened to allow hookah on the side?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 09:24 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,706,475 times
I've been to a couple in San Diego. I always thought, "why doesn't uptown have something like this?"

Probably the passive agressive lutherans here think it's a drug or "not family like"

Old 08-21-2010, 01:15 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
I've been to a couple in San Diego. I always thought, "why doesn't uptown have something like this?"

Probably the passive agressive lutherans here think it's a drug or "not family like"
People are smoking hookahs at sidewalk tables all the time in front of some place at Lyndale and 26th.

It isn't really a "Hookah Bar" though. I think it is mainly a Market/Deli.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
People are smoking hookahs at sidewalk tables all the time in front of some place at Lyndale and 26th.

It isn't really a "Hookah Bar" though. I think it is mainly a Market/Deli.

All i was getting at is how weird it is here. In San Diego, when I was 19 i went to a hookah bar with my aunt and uncle and cousins and other people...like it was no big deal..

Then... My buddy had a Hookah and brought it over in MN and you should have seen the looks from people. they thought we were smoking smack. It's like settle down, it's legal tobacco people...

Old 08-21-2010, 04:08 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
...and you don't only have to put legal tobacco in them.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
...and you don't only have to put legal tobacco in them.
... Like your thinkin brother... We never did.... lol....

Old 08-22-2010, 04:28 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,656,764 times
There are several African and Middle Eastern restaurants along Nicollet south of downtown that have hookah bars.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:53 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,094,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
So I didn't even know these places existed until a few weeks ago. We went to one in a suburb of Chicago and I thought it was a pretty nice change of pace to going to a bar. Anyone found any good ones in the Twin Cities? I'm sure they are around somewhere but I've never seen one. A google search brought back some results but none of them sounded like clearcut hookah bars but more of places that just happened to allow hookah on the side?
So, actually answering your question (instead of dwelling on "passive-aggressive lutherans" ):

There are two hookah bars to my knowledge on Grand Ave in St. Paul: Grand Hookah at about Grand and Fairvew, and Shish Mediterranean Cafe right by Mac (Grand and Snelling).

There are two or three on Central Ave just south of 694 (Columbia Heights). Pyramid and Yafa are the names, and then I think there is one more, too.

There is one in Eagan called Med Cruise Cafe. There are a few headshops and some other places that serve hookah outdoors, as well-- the place at Lyndale and 26th that was mention, and also Piecemakers. There is also a place right by where I used to work in NE mpls (Marcy-Holmes) that is a small deli that serves hookah on the sidewalk, right on 4th street by 35W.
Hideaway may also serve Hookah as well.

So, you have a lot of options. If you want specifics, pm me, but a google search of "hookah minneapolis" will yield lots of results....

Old 08-23-2010, 11:55 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,094,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
All i was getting at is how weird it is here. In San Diego, when I was 19 i went to a hookah bar with my aunt and uncle and cousins and other people...like it was no big deal..

Then... My buddy had a Hookah and brought it over in MN and you should have seen the looks from people. they thought we were smoking smack. It's like settle down, it's legal tobacco people...
Agree to disagree? Me and my friends have been smoking hookah and frequenting the bars/lounges for years....ever since we turned 18.

It may be generational, as well. For folks my age that grew up with/went to school with East African immigrants who were constantly smoking hookah, it's not much of a foreign concept. For people my parents' age, yeah....maybe you're right and there is some hesitation....

Old 08-23-2010, 03:38 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
I'm not sure of the current status, and as I don't smoke hookah I haven't really paid much attention, but I think some of the differences between Minneapolis and cities in other states comes down to tobacco laws. Some states have less stringent laws, or just different loopholes. Maybe it's just tougher to open a hookah bar here than it is elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul