U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 08-23-2010, 10:25 PM

1,799 posts, read 2,350,368 times
Default Question about some abandoned blown up buildings and a building building boarded with green boards?

Ok I was watching this very beautiful video of someone driving around Minneapolis on a sunday, and I noticed a few interesting things.

At 2:31 in the video, theres a house and all the windows are green. Was the house boarded up with green boards or something?

At 3:33 it looks like the building is abandoned and part of it was blown up with a bomb or something. Is this building abandoned and does anyone know what happened to it?

At 3:40 theres a black building that looks like it also may be abandoned, and theres a part of a skyway that looks like it was also blown up at some point thats connecting the building to nothing. Was there another building across the street at one point? There must of been unless the skyway has always been connecting a building to nothing.

Does anyone know anything about these things.

BTW here is the video

YouTube - Downtown Minneapolis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-24-2010, 08:08 AM

415 posts, read 673,924 times
I don't about the building with the green windows but the "blown up" building is Mill City Museum. There's a courtyard inside of the shell of the old mill building (that's the part that looks like it exploded). The "abandoned" black building with the skyway leading to nowhere is the Guthrie Theater and that's an observation deck that has great views of the river.

Unread 08-24-2010, 08:42 AM

1,635 posts, read 729,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraMN View Post
the "blown up" building is Mill City Museum.
The Mill City Museum was built on the Washburn "A" mill, which blew to smithereens in 1874, killing everybody within a city block. They rebuilt it in 1880, and it ran without serious incident until it closed in 1965. The empty building burned in a fire in 1991, and for years only the blackened walls and some steel tanks tottering above the mess remained.

Unread 08-24-2010, 11:29 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,694,854 times
The building with the green boards is just an old small warehouse building that someone wants to eventually remodel into apartments or condos. I don't know why the boards are green.

At about 1:41 the driver actually does drive under a skyway that's only connected at one end. (The building was torn down several years ago, and hasn't been replaced yet.)

Unread 08-24-2010, 11:31 PM

Thanks! I know about the Mill City museum, I never knew thats what it was like though. No clue that was a skyway on the Guthrie Theatre.

Unread 08-25-2010, 12:37 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,215,747 times
Had to laugh at the Guthrie comments and its bridge to nowhere (which is a cool observation deck and the building itself gained international acclaim for its design if you have an interest in architecture). The Guthrie also sometimes gets mistaken for an IKEA.

Some cell phone pics I took of Mill City Museum the last time I was there:
Attached Thumbnails
Question about some abandoned blown up buildings and a building building boarded with green boards?-mill-city-1.jpg   Question about some abandoned blown up buildings and a building building boarded with green boards?-mill-city-2.jpg  

Unread 08-25-2010, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
Had to laugh at the Guthrie comments and its bridge to nowhere (which is a cool observation deck and the building itself gained international acclaim for its design if you have an interest in architecture). The Guthrie also sometimes gets mistaken for an IKEA.

Some cell phone pics I took of Mill City Museum the last time I was there:
I love architecture. The videos quality isnt crystal clear and the way the observation deck is shaped on the end made it look like part of it was blown up I really want to check it out now and go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul