Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2010, 05:17 PM

72 posts, read 158,033 times

Advertisements

Sorry for all the posts here lately, but i'm having a hard time finding who to contact for job possibilities. I have looked at the Greenway Coalition website, the MNDOT site, and a few other alternative transportation sites. I am graduating in December with a Bachelors in Geography. I don't have any real experience within the transportation realm of geography, but I really would like some form of job within alternative transportation. I would love to do route planning, or the final cartographic work to have it able to be published.

As with most jobs listed on usjobs.gov, indeed.com, and career builder/monster, it is a requirement to have multiple years of experience. I would take just about any geography job available, but transportation would be awesome to get into, and a big reason I am seriously looking at Minneapolis to become home. Can anyone possible share some links on where I may look for State/Government based jobs in the city proper?

This may seem a bit juvenile, but given the out of state aspect, is it within reason to send a resume to the HR desk of a company, or a bit higher up in the company if there is not a specified employer desk address?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 08:04 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
One problem that you're up against (or at least I assume you're up against; I don't work in the field) is that the Humphrey Institute at the U of MN is based locally, and you'll be competing against their graduates (who will have the graduate degree, the connections, the local internships, etc.). Not to say that you can't find something, just that it's not surprising you're having a difficult time.

It's not a government job site, but I'd check out the MN nonprofit job board; I know that MN Nice Ride, for example, advertised there when they were hiring last year. And keep checking back the actual city website, the Hennepin County website, and be a regular reader on the local transportation blogs; sometimes they might list jobs.

I don't know where you are now, but also check with your current professors to see if any of them have contacts in MN; maybe they can help. You could also consider looking for a paid internship (it's a foot in the door, at least) and go from there.

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 09-05-2010 at 09:18 PM..

Old 09-05-2010, 08:27 PM

72 posts, read 158,033 times
Yah, that's going to be a give and take that the University is there. They offer a transport master if I remember correctly as that was one of my future goals. I am going to talk with my director and see if he may know anyone, though I believe 2/3 my professors are South Carolina transfers.

I will look at the job board, I hadn't come across that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul