Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2010, 01:45 PM

7 posts, read 16,859 times

Advertisements

Hello all. First let me apologize as I'm sure this post is a bit redundant. I am currently working the BP oil spill and will be wrapping up soon. I have lived in Florida for the last seven years and I am tired of the sun and lack of any topography. Anyway I am going to be off in a week and was planning a trip to Minneapolis to check the area out.

I love the idea of an urban city set on a backdrop of such beautiful country. I am looking for some advice on hotels in the downtown area that are reasonably priced. Someone had mentioned nice rides in a previous post. Any more info on what that is? I am an avid cyclist and it appears that there is a huge cycling community in Minneapolis.

I would also love some advice on things to check out while I'm there. Not planning on hitting the suburbs. Any recommendations on areas to consider for housing should I decide to relocate? I have a nine year old daughter so safe schools in the city are important.

I am truly excited about visiting the area!! If anyone has some availability during that time, I would love an insiders point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 02:29 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
We moved here from Florida a year and a half ago. We love it. Its gorgeous - the schools are excellent - I would suggest a first ring suburb.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:42 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,342,916 times
There defintely is a large cycling community here. I think you'll like the availability of trails both in the cities (especially along the lakes, river and Minnehaha Creek) and the suburbs. The topo of the Twin Cities is probably not one of our best features--relatively flat, with a few valleys and small hills--though it is more than Florida or Illinois.

As to places to consider to live--it depends on your budget. SW Mpls is a very popular place for families, but its also spendy. There certainly are other good schools in the city--you might look into the Seward/Longfellow neighborhood. Someone else can write in about those areas.

Inexpensive hotels in downtown: Check Hotwire.com and maybe you can get a 3.5 or 4-star hotel for a cheap price. Or I'd recommend the Holiday Inn Express on 10th Street, the Doubletree (on 11th at Lasalle) or the Millenium Hotel (13th & Nicollet), or the Normandy Downtown Inn (a less interesting area of downtown on 4th Avenue and 8th Street).

Hope you enjoy your visit!

Old 10-03-2010, 09:04 PM

540 posts, read 1,096,860 times
Info on Nice Ride: Nice Ride MN - Home

FYI though, the system does put a $50 fee on your credit/debit card until you return the bike.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:25 PM

256 posts, read 586,151 times
One of the first things to check out is Minnehaha Falls. It's a great waterfall in a great park - and it's free. I would just drive around and see the city for yourself. I like the houses on Minnehaha Creek, Tangletown or around Lake Nokomis.

Lots of good stuff for kids here, the Science Musum, Children's Museum, Como Zoo in Saint Paul, the Minnesota Zoo in Apple Valley.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:28 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,063,464 times
Of course Minneapolis is a great city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Lots of good stuff for kids here, the Science Musum, Children's Museum, Como Zoo in Saint Paul, the Minnesota Zoo in Apple Valley.
I went to all those places on field trips in elementary school. Actually had 2 field trips to science museum, once in elementary and once in middle school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul