Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 07:59 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

I did check with the state of Minnesota and Metropolitan Council. With Metropolitan Council, the GIS-related jobs available require at least 3 years of experience. I only have an internship for experience. With the state of Minnnesota, all of the GIS related jobs were with the Dept of Natural Resources and you have to be a current employee to get the job. It isn't a matter of finding job postings. It is a matter of the requirements being very stiff. It is trying to find entry level jobs that is very difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 04:31 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I did check with the state of Minnesota and Metropolitan Council. With Metropolitan Council, the GIS-related jobs available require at least 3 years of experience. I only have an internship for experience. With the state of Minnnesota, all of the GIS related jobs were with the Dept of Natural Resources and you have to be a current employee to get the job. It isn't a matter of finding job postings. It is a matter of the requirements being very stiff. It is trying to find entry level jobs that is very difficult.
I wouldn't let 3 years of experience hold you back from applying for those jobs. Often a college degree with some internship will be enough or at least get you noticed for future jobs. Send in your application, you might be surprised.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:07 PM

228 posts, read 665,124 times
My partner was GIS/geography/cartography and was able to get a post-bachelors internship up here via an engineering firm. It is sort of GIS related and part time, but was the best he could get (relative to some other factors) at the time. He did apply to several local government agencies and local cartography companies and never made it to the interview stage. He did also interview for a full time GIS position with U of M working on some grant project, but they had apparently already made a decision on who they were hiring and already going through the motions.

It is a tight tight market up here for GIS, that is for sure. If you have programming experience, or want to do installs for ESRI, you may do ok, but beyond that, good luck.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:28 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sondra_finchley View Post
My partner was GIS/geography/cartography and was able to get a post-bachelors internship up here via an engineering firm. It is sort of GIS related and part time, but was the best he could get (relative to some other factors) at the time. He did apply to several local government agencies and local cartography companies and never made it to the interview stage. He did also interview for a full time GIS position with U of M working on some grant project, but they had apparently already made a decision on who they were hiring and already going through the motions.

It is a tight tight market up here for GIS, that is for sure. If you have programming experience, or want to do installs for ESRI, you may do ok, but beyond that, good luck.
I don't have programmimg experience. I flunked programming in college. I did alright in my GIS courses, but poorly in programming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul