Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 07:40 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
YouTube - Tom Waits - 9th & Hennepin

Well it's Ninth and Hennepin
All the doughnuts have names that sound like prostitutes
And the moon's teeth marks are on the sky
Like a tarp thrown all over this
And the broken umbrellas like dead birds
And the steam comes out of the grill
Like the whole goddamn town's ready to blow...

9th & Hennepin Lyrics by Tom Waits
This reminds me more of Portland than Minneapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 05:58 PM

1 posts, read 5,524 times
We now have lawmakers implementing behavioral control legislation to insure the fun and good times, as well as free-market system are closed down for good. More here:

500 local bars and restaurants were put out of business since Minneapolis, St. Paul, and Bloomington enacted smoking bans

Last edited by mwernimont; 02-06-2012 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: link

Old 02-06-2012, 07:28 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,655,638 times
What can you say? Law enforcement enthusiasts really like their jobs.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:34 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Speaking of Basilica, what was the Cathedral of St. Paul like? I ask because I'm a Christian of Roman Catholic denomination. That and th Cathedral of St. Paul is the Cathedral for the Archdiocese of St.Paul-Minneapolis.
As a Catholic from Sioux Falls, I have visited it several times. It's gorgeous and very inspiring. Worth the visit.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 5,344 times
looking for info about the roaring 20's strip club and all strp clubs in mpls/st.paul from 1977to1985 use to work in alot of the club's hoping to find some of the old gal's.I am only 52now but I sure hadalot of fun and made some good cash for a young lady...Anyone have something to contribute? I would appreciate it thank you(Stage nameSammi)

Old 07-08-2012, 09:25 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
Of course I remember. Moved into Minneapolis in 1966. Worked there until 1984. Marc's Big Boy and the Aster Arts on the south side of Hennepin between 6th and 7th. Grand Central Market on the other side. Gay 90's and Roaring 20's bars. Java Restaurant at 5th and Hennepin, my introduction to Middle Eastern Food. Across from Block E was the theater that premiered Jaws in Minneapolis. Line went up Hennepin, bent around corner onto 7th Street. I think there was a rifle range and bowling alley on the second level of block E. There were Shinders stores at both ends of that block. I can visualize it after nearly 50 years.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 5,251 times
Worked there from 74 to 81. Bridgeman's ice cream, Arthur Treachers, Academy theater, Musicland, Music City, Hot licks...Lot of very good memories and valuable life lesons. If you were looking for trouble you could find it but alot of decent people worked in those places. The cops (all white) ran it with an iron fist, but usually looked the other way for us when we snuck in underage to the bars or climbed the firescapes to the roofs to smoke pot. yes, there were drunks and what people would call skid-rowers but if you treated them with respect and stood your ground, they left you alone.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:19 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afbrown View Post
Worked there from 74 to 81. Bridgeman's ice cream, Arthur Treachers, Academy theater, Musicland, Music City, Hot licks...Lot of very good memories and valuable life lesons. If you were looking for trouble you could find it but alot of decent people worked in those places. The cops (all white) ran it with an iron fist, but usually looked the other way for us when we snuck in underage to the bars or climbed the firescapes to the roofs to smoke pot. yes, there were drunks and what people would call skid-rowers but if you treated them with respect and stood your ground, they left you alone.
Funny you mention fire escapes. We rented a warehouse "jam space" at 600 Washington Ave N. in the 1980's to play music & hang out at. The building is where Black Sheep Coal Fired Pizza is now & next door was another old warehouse that had a fire escape you could get up to if you climbed up on a semi-truck that was usually parked there. Once on top of that warehouse there was a wall about 9'-10' tall that we'd have to get a run at, jump & grab on with our fingertips & pull ourselves up onto. At that point you'd be on the highest rooftop for blocks & you know what was up there? A full sized swing set! We'd drink beer, smoke weed, play guitars & swing into the wee hours of the morning. Good times.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:05 PM

833 posts, read 1,713,443 times
20 years old ( from rural MN ) I was working union construction in Mpls.

I drove down alone one Wednesday night to Washington AVE to check out the bars.

Stopped in an all black bar called the Key Club and drank a few beers ( I looked about 22 so I never got carded )
Hookers all over ( streets, in the bar )

Went across the street to a bar at the corner of Washinton and Cedar. All Indians in there and they were big guys.
I was a fit 5/10 ,,,,,,,,,,195......and I was small compared to them.

One thing about back then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you minded your own business, had a confident attitude, everything was fine.
I never once felt threatened or uneasy.

Can't say the same would be true for a young guy today.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:04 PM

122 posts, read 337,401 times
I was waiting for the #2 bus after work one day around 1984 when a pile of squad cars and ambulance converge on the building across the street. It was an insurance building? Turns out some lady went into the offices there and pulled out a big French knife and buried it into the back of her cheating husband.
Attached Thumbnails
Memories of gritty '70's & '80's downtown Minneapolis-wash.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul