Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 10:41 AM

761 posts, read 3,414,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
And this is the team that wants us to shell out how many mega millions to build them a new stadium?
Quoted for future reference. When the Vikings can no longer play in the metrodome and are forced to move (hopefully not to L.A.) and we don't have a pro football team, I don't want to see a single thread about how you are upset that our taxes have to be raised (more than whatever it would be for a stadium bill) due to the lack of revenue that was brought in from the Vikings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 10:54 AM

198 posts, read 483,258 times
With all the aging players and pending free agents, it looks like we're in for some rebuilding years. Trouble is, once the team gets its bearings again Peterson may well be an old man in running back years. So that begs the question - should the Vikes try to pull off a Herschel Walker in reverse trade while AP is still in his prime? I am not necessarily advocating this - just throwing it out there for discussion.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:54 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_22 View Post
With all the aging players and pending free agents, it looks like we're in for some rebuilding years. Trouble is, once the team gets its bearings again Peterson may well be an old man in running back years. So that begs the question - should the Vikes try to pull off a Herschel Walker in reverse trade while AP is still in his prime? I am not necessarily advocating this - just throwing it out there for discussion.
First off, no team would be stupid enough to make a trade even remotely as big as the Herschel Walker trade. Also, Adrian Peterson is younger and much better than Herschel was at the time of the trade. I say we hold onto AP as long as we can. He should have 3-5 solid years left in him. If we want any chance of having an effective offense next year, skill position players like Adrian Peterson and Percy Harvin are going to be a necessity.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 12-21-2010 at 01:02 PM..

Old 12-21-2010, 12:34 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Good chance my Vikings can still move up in the draft unless they do something unusual (like win a game) these next two weeks.

new teams for us to chase down and their remaining schedules...

(4 - 10) Buffalo ...... New England, @ New York Jets
(4 - 10) Detroit ...... @ Miami, Minnesota
(4 - 10) Arizona ...... Dallas, @ San Francisco
(3 - 11) Denver ...... Houston, San Diego
(3 - 11) Cincinnati ... San Diego, @ Baltimore
(2 - 12) Carolina ..... @ Pittsburgh, @ Atlanta

My preferences for next year...
  • they draft a young Joe Montana or Tom Brady type QB
  • pick up some defensive backs and offensive linemen in the later rounds
  • spend free agent money like there's no tomorrow
  • lower the price of beer
  • get the dome ready by next saeson.
Realistically, I'm not holding out much hope for that last one.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:00 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,268,041 times
First of all the good news: The atmoshphere at the game was amazingly great! Ten times better than the best game at the Metrodome. I think this is proof that WHEN we build a new stadium it must be OUTDOORS with NO ROOF.

Bad News: Our team sucks and we won't be good for awhile. Hopefully we can draft a top QB in the first round next year and build around him. I personally want Mallett but theres a number of potential prospects out there that I'd be happy with. Ricky Stanzi? I'm still pissed we passed on McCoy last year - just another sign of Childress' incompetence.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:26 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Brady was a sixth round pick. First round QBs rarely work out. In fact, of QBs drafted in the first round since 2000, most have been total busts! Here's the breakdown:

Stars
1) Philip Rivers
2) Eli Manning
3) Ben Roethlisberger
4) Michael Vick
5) Aaron Rodgers

Solid Starters
1) Jay Cutler
2) Mark Sanchez
3) Carson Palmer
4) Matt Ryan

Total Busts
1) Jamarcus Russell
2) Jason Campbell
3) David Carr
4) Joey Harrington
5) J.P. Losman
6) Matt Leinart
7) Alex Smith
8) Rex Grossman
9) Brady Quinn
10) Byron Leftwich
11) Patrick Ramsey
12) Vince Young

I really don't like those odds.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:47 PM
AFH

28 posts, read 44,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Brady was a sixth round pick. First round QBs rarely work out. In fact, of QBs drafted in the first round since 2000, most have been total busts! Here's the breakdown:

Stars
1) Philip Rivers
2) Eli Manning
3) Ben Roethlisberger
4) Michael Vick
5) Aaron Rodgers

Solid Starters
1) Jay Cutler
2) Mark Sanchez
3) Carson Palmer
4) Matt Ryan

Total Busts
1) Jamarcus Russell
2) Jason Campbell
3) David Carr
4) Joey Harrington
5) J.P. Losman
6) Matt Leinart
7) Alex Smith
8) Rex Grossman
9) Brady Quinn
10) Byron Leftwich
11) Patrick Ramsey
12) Vince Young

I really don't like those odds.
9 out of 21 isn't rarely. Almost half the starting QBs in the NFL are first-round draft choices. First-rounders work out more often that those drafter in other rounds. Hall of Fame Quarterbacks drafted in the 6th round are indeed rare, however.

First-round is almost a 50-50 proposition. Second round is a long-shot. Third and beyond is a complete longshot.

There's a reason half the Super Bowl rings worn by winning NFL/AFL QBs are on the fingers of first-round draft choices.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:12 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
First of all the good news: The atmoshphere at the game was amazingly great! Ten times better than the best game at the Metrodome. I think this is proof that WHEN we build a new stadium it must be OUTDOORS with NO ROOF.
Great perspective and thanks for the report. I would prefer a movable roof stadium to take advantage of football weather and have a year-round venue when needed (Super Bowl, NCAA Basketball) but realize the political climate will make that extra $200M (plus?) a tough sell.

Also realize that the movable roof would likely remain unmoved (and closed) during the winter and what you experienced last night, can never be duplicated indoors. The Vikings have long stated that they would prefer an outdoor stadium.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:50 PM

256 posts, read 664,236 times
I loved that the game was outside. It was fun to watch in that respect. My favorite part of the game was seeing Bud Grant and all the greats out on the field.

Joe Webb is a 3rd string, rookie qb and may not have been the best player last night, but at least he TRIED. He had a little heart. There was a whole lot of players that looked like they didn't even want to show up for the game, which has seemed to be going on all season long.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:03 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,655,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsky1 View Post
I don't want to see a single thread about how you are upset that our taxes have to be raised (more than whatever it would be for a stadium bill) due to the lack of revenue that was brought in from the Vikings.
Let's get more general. Shouldn't every business owner get taxpayer funding to build a new store, factory, or warehouse, merely because he may bring in future revenues to the city? Shouldn't every homeowner get taxpayer funding to build or rehab their home, because it will increase the value of the property?

If not, why single out a sports team for preferential treatment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul