Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 08:28 AM

302 posts, read 727,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
After living in Minneapolis for nearly 20 years, I moved to LA from Minneapolis last summer, and haven't regretted it at all! I miss the people and friends I grew up with in Minnesota, but I know the dark, cold, and snow are not for me.

California is a beautiful state with lots of friendly people and tons to offer. It's not nearly as "bad" or as scary as people on these boards make it seem. I highly recommend it!
I lived my entire life in California (grew up there....30+ years)...I think it is VERY expensive, traffic is terrible, overcrowded, hot year round (plus crime, earthquakes, etc). Life is what you make of it, but life is harder in California (IMHO).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 09:06 AM

96 posts, read 131,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSMCGirl View Post
I lived my entire life in California (grew up there....30+ years)...I think it is VERY expensive, traffic is terrible, overcrowded, hot year round (plus crime, earthquakes, etc). Life is what you make of it, but life is harder in California (IMHO).

Please..I lived in Fremont and loved it!!!!

You can see the list of cities I'ved in, and Fremont (bay area) is way at the top of the list. I left for a simple reason--high rent. Minneapolis has nice places but it is no california.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:39 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
My family moved to California and they all said they they miss MN more than they thought....and none of them are originally from here, but lived here for 20 years. They miss the seasons, politeness and overall charm of the area the most.

As far as Seattle is concerned, be warned that Seattle is notorious for having the highest suicide rate for major cities in the U.S., and if you don't like darkness, Seattle is DARKER than MN in the winter because it's further north, and obviously it's not as sunny either (depending on what source you believe, MN sees around 60% chance of sunshine on any particular day compared to say Pittsburgh, which sees a 48% chance, or Phoenix, which sees a 90% something chance).

Old 12-24-2010, 11:51 AM

232 posts, read 736,215 times
I'm not trying to be funny with this story because I (in a way) get what you're saying. I moved to Minneapolis (downtown) and just found a lot of people who were snobs, rude, overeducated (and acted like it), only wanted to be around people who were 'good enough' to be seen around...then I went to Detroit where not much changes, people say terrible things about it, but you know what? I met the most real, honest people I've ever met. Terrible things happen, but they happen anywhere. I now feel like you're at certain points in your life, you end up in a new city and being there teaches you something about yourself...then you're ready to check out a new place.

I have always had to work hard to make me feel at home in my environment rather than the other way around. People in general have a hard time going places alone or trying something new or different. Been there too, but at some point you just gotta do it. Just try to smile a little and get through this period, a lot of us have been there, and got through it!

Old 12-24-2010, 12:32 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Good advice!

Old 12-24-2010, 06:33 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,446 times
Winter may be long but Spring and Summer are definitely worth it!

Old 12-24-2010, 08:06 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth07 View Post
I'm not trying to be funny with this story because I (in a way) get what you're saying. I moved to Minneapolis (downtown) and just found a lot of people who were snobs, rude, overeducated (and acted like it), only wanted to be around people who were 'good enough' to be seen around...then I went to Detroit where not much changes, people say terrible things about it, but you know what? I met the most real, honest people
I find homeless people, the poor, to be the friendliest. If you get tired of the overeducted snobs, make you way to the homeless area of town, and you'll find far more friendly/interesting people to talk to, they're never in a rush, they have no agendas.

Last edited by tijlover; 12-24-2010 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 12-24-2010, 08:09 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
What adds to the stress in living in colder climes, particularly during this mega-recession, is the knawing thought that occasionally arises: What if I became homeless?

You can weather it a bit better in CA, FL, TX or AZ, the thought of it doesn't create as much stress or panic.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:31 PM

96 posts, read 131,987 times
to me the stress from the cold is due to:

1. not being able to exercise (I cant afford health clubs and I would prefer a nicer one, otherwise not interested in inside work out).

2. I hate the driving (my car is a little old). I would love to bike commute, need to move downtown. But then I would freeze my ass off either way.

3. People are weird in winter, they act like the best things in life are to bundle up and do the winter thing. People who like it here actually love the cold, they love to sled and build snow men and watch a movie with hot chocolate at night. Not interested in any of that.

4. Like tijlover comments, one must always have a Plan B!

Old 12-24-2010, 08:58 PM

302 posts, read 727,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy332 View Post
Please..I lived in Fremont and loved it!!!!

You can see the list of cities I'ved in, and Fremont (bay area) is way at the top of the list. I left for a simple reason--high rent. Minneapolis has nice places but it is no california.
I never said Minnesota is LIKE California. There's no comparison. California has some of the best qualities AND the worst of states. As I said "LIFE IS HARDER IN CALIFORNIA". YOU couldn't afford it...you left. I personally would never go back there...and I lived my WHOLE life there...most of my family is still there. Worked my butt off for a dumpy apartment. Would never have been able to buy anything. Here I own my own home for much less than I paid in rent in California. Literally, my expenses were cut in HALF when I moved here. And I think the quality of life here is MUCH better than California. I can only take so much hot and hotter weather...floods, fires, earthquakes. How is that paradise?? Plus I don't worry about crime here. Murders are daily events out there (and most don't even make the news!). No thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul