Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 01:42 PM

6 posts, read 13,346 times

Advertisements

I am moving to eagan with my 1st grade daughter and 6th grade son. Our house is in district 197 ( pilot knob elementary and friendly hills middle school). They can open enroll for district 196 (deerwood elem. And blackhawk middle school). There is room for them at these schools. I would need to drive them or request for them to ride on an existing bus line nearest our home. I also feel the need to compare the two highschools...henry sibley for 197. East view and eagan for 196. Any help would be appreciated! Then there are the magnet schools!!! What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 06:06 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
It's a toss up actually. Eastview probably has the "best" test scores of the three, but not by much. Eastview students in general are also a lot more focused on what car they drive, how you style your hair, etc. Eagan is a bit more down to earth but all three schools are pretty upper middle to upper class populations. Sibley is smaller then the others and as an alum, they still offer an outstanding education there too.

What activities do your kids like? That might help make the decision. Sibley is the only one of the three with an orchestra program--outstanding program-but the long time director retired so I don't know how that will hold up. They used to have the top parade marching band in the nation but under the current director they are, well, not so good.

Isn't it nice when we HAVE these choices in MN though

Old 05-25-2011, 07:51 PM

6 posts, read 13,346 times
Thanks! My daughter loves dancing and singing. My son plays basketball and plays the guitar. The guidance counselor at friendly hills wasn't too friendly on the phone. I think I am looking for the school that is the most ecclectic. Sounds like I would like the values at eagan h.s.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:55 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,698,572 times
This is easy. The answer is 196, arguably the best in the state. The the schools are newer, better at sports, and have more resources.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:57 PM

3 posts, read 7,400 times
My son attends Glacier Hills Art and Science Magnet school in 196. We love it! We also open enroll from District 197 - and he would have attended Pilot knob Elementary. We originally chose 196 because daycare was in that district, but now I am happy that we've open enrolled. 196 is a great district!

Old 06-08-2011, 07:06 AM

267 posts, read 558,447 times
This brings back memories.

18 months ago I got a call from the Pilot Knob Elementary principal. He was upset because I was selling a house in his school district and advertising that buyers could open enroll out of District 197 and go to 196 instead (just as my sellers were doing). He invited me to come visit their school so I did and then wrote a blog article about it - http://www.dakotacountyproperties.co...al-tom-benson/

My take is that Pilot Knob and Friendly Hills would be very comparable to the District 196 alternatives. That said, I think there's a pretty big advantage to Eagan/Eastview over Sibley at the high school level.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWallace View Post
This brings back memories.

18 months ago I got a call from the Pilot Knob Elementary principal. He was upset because I was selling a house in his school district and advertising that buyers could open enroll out of District 197 and go to 196 instead (just as my sellers were doing). He invited me to come visit their school so I did and then wrote a blog article about it - Choosing Pilot Knob Elementary – Interview with Principal Tom Benson

My take is that Pilot Knob and Friendly Hills would be very comparable to the District 196 alternatives. That said, I think there's a pretty big advantage to Eagan/Eastview over Sibley at the high school level.
I do have to say that "big" is an overstatement. I think if you took the same trip to Sibley you would find a different story. The biggest advantage Sibley has going for it is that it is a pretty upper middle class/upper class high school with a VERY small lower income population--much like you will find at Eastview. Academics are heavily stressed there. While Eastview test scores are slightly higher, you do have smaller classes at Sibley. I still give the 196 schools the edge, but Sibley isn't far behind.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:18 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,369,864 times
Just to add in my 2 cents. In looking at the posts being made in this topic, I sincerely hope that I NEVER find myself having these types of conversations when determining the schools I will be enrolling my children in. Seriously....who freakin' cares about a school's test scores and the income levels of the families....and why would anyone in their right mind think that finding the school with the highest test scores and lowest % of lower income students is going to give their child a better education. I'm sorry, but that is just absurd.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Just to add in my 2 cents. In looking at the posts being made in this topic, I sincerely hope that I NEVER find myself having these types of conversations when determining the schools I will be enrolling my children in. Seriously....who freakin' cares about a school's test scores and the income levels of the families....and why would anyone in their right mind think that finding the school with the highest test scores and lowest % of lower income students is going to give their child a better education. I'm sorry, but that is just absurd.
People with kids care--we will revisit this when you actually have kids in school...

Old 06-08-2011, 01:15 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
People with kids care--we will revisit this when you actually have kids in school...
Caring is one thing. Being overly meticulous to the point of absurdity is quite another.

In the Twin Cities, most of the public schools are roughly on par with each other, and I don't understand the need for such discussions here in most cases.

Minnesota also has statewide open enrollment, meaning you aren't stuck in your local feeder pattern (unlike the situation in many other parts of the country) if there really is some substantive difference that matters to you and your children.

Be very thankful for what you have, Twin Cities residents. It could be worse, believe me. Move down here. Your eyes will be opened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul