Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 05:29 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,796,320 times

Advertisements

Mitch - stay away from politics - IMO NEVER a good idea for a first (or ever) conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 05:44 PM

43 posts, read 110,018 times
Thanks for warning me about politics!

I guess I will start with the weather and let the conversation going smoothly and naturally as possible without going into personal details unless I'm asked.

Is that more Minnesota-like way of engaging in conversations?

Old 12-28-2010, 05:51 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,796,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchMS View Post
Thanks for warning me about politics!

I guess I will start with the weather and let the conversation going smoothly and naturally as possible without going into personal details unless I'm asked.

Is that more Minnesota-like way of engaging in conversations?
Indeed - the weather is always, I mean ALWAYS a topic - and loved. Cant go wrong with weather - see you already are fitting right in!!!

Old 12-28-2010, 06:35 PM

96 posts, read 131,863 times
Hi,

Make trip out here before you commit to TC!

Old 12-28-2010, 07:40 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,658,251 times
I think you will enjoy the Twin Cities Mitch!
The winter weather is really something that you have to adjust to. Not really because of the cold snaps and snow but due to the fact that it is constant and seems to go on forever with no big thaws until March. My advice, stay as busy as possible in the winter (work, socialize, sports, other activities) and the long winter should not bother you that much and go by in a flash. Once spring kicks in (usually April in these parts) slow down and enjoy the outdoors. From April to November, Minnesota is a great place to be outdoors.

In the Twin Cities, I would go as far as to say that asking someone about their religion when you are meeting people is kind of taboo in a way. Even if they are religious, the question will probably come off as strange. There are many religious people in the Twin Cities that are active in church activities, but outside of your church group, religion isn't really part of normal conversation. Minnesotans usually try their hardest to stay away from conversations that may arise in conflict (which religion can be) to casual acquaintances. I think this is where people usually say that it is hard to make friends here, it usually takes a while for people to warm up to new people they meet but once they do you can usually form long term and meaningful friendships.
Come up and visit during the winter if you can. The Twin Cities are a great place to live and have a great quality of life. If it wasn't for the winter thing, they would be almost perfect IMO. We did get up to 36F today, which is a heat wave for this time of the year, so it can get nice in the winter

Old 12-28-2010, 07:53 PM

43 posts, read 110,018 times
To Sammy and MN Spring:

Thanks for your advices! I'm glad to hear that. Oh, I definitely will visit Twin Cities around March or April of next year to see for myself because I want to be sure before making a huge change by moving to MN. I haven't really visit anywhere much except for family in Atlanta and St. Louis but St. Louis has more southern feel to it than Midwestern though.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:13 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,658,251 times
No Prob.

It's funny because I have actually been contemplating making a move down south either in the Missouri or Mississippi areas for quite some time. I am very familiar with Missouri but need to check out Mississippi more. These thoughts always come up as I live through yet another Minnesota winter. As I get older, I want more to have a rural, slower pace of life where we don't get 15 snow storms every winter.
I know the way of life is different and I would be trading cold winters for horrible summers, but I figure I might as well check it out as part of a long term goal. Any advise for me regarding what to check out in Mississippi or how not to stand out as too awkward?

Old 12-28-2010, 08:55 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I, too, would suggest staying away from politics; I talk politics a lot with the people I know, but in general I think it's put into a similar category as religion: just something you don't discuss with people you don't know well. Some people who DO know each other well don't even discuss it! I think that's a bit odd, but I think it's one of those agree to disagree and don't want to argue about it things -- as noted, people will often go to great lengths to avoid conflict. On the other hand, there are lots of activities to get involved, politically, so if you want to meet people then becoming active at the local level (attending caucuses, etc.) is a great way to meet people, and in that context you can of course discuss politics all you want.

Asking someone where they are from would be a perfectly good way to start a conversation. Don't worry too much about it; I'm sure whatever you ask about you'll fit in fine. No need to be afraid to ask about personal details, it's just that religion and politics are the only two topics I can think of that could make people uncomfortable. On the other hand, I wouldn't censor myself too much either; lots of people love to talk about those things, and while you may run the risk of making someone a bit uncomfortable, you also have the chance to have an interesting conversation with someone who is bored talking about the weather.

Cross-country skiing is a great way to get out, and ski rentals are often pretty cheap. Ice skating is found everywhere, and you can buy the skates used. I grew up in Minnesota and have never been on a snowmobile or gone ice fishing, so if you do either of those things you'll be one (or two) up on me! It sounds like you have a good attitude about the winter. I don't enjoy the winter, but think it's worth it in th end. I also do like the change of seasons; when we lived elsewhere I not only missed the snow, but also missed the dramatic summer storms that we have here. I think the ups and downs of the weather is part of what makes it a safe conversational starting bit. It's almost always going to be changing, at least a little bit. Or it's too hot/humid/cold/snowy (or, if lucky, just perfect!), and you can commiserate.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:09 PM

737 posts, read 1,653,603 times
I grew up in South Carolina so I'm about as southern as they come. Here is my impression:

Is it really hard to make friends there like people say?
It is a bit more difficult than many other places Iv'e lived, but not impossible. Minnesotans are a reserved bunch. At times some of their "mannerism" would seem rude in the south, but I don't believe it is malicious, I just think they are oblivious to it, at any rate it is no where near as malicious or rude as the eastern seaboard (New England to the Atlantic Southeast).

Can you get adjusted to Minnesota winters with heavy snow easily?

Depends, if you have already lived in an area with significant snowfall, and cold temps in winter adjusting is easier than moving up straight from the south. If you move you will need 1) a down goose feather or wool jacket, 2) gloves 3) hat 4) Snow boots 5) Front wheel, or All wheel drive (rear wheel sucks in the winter, I made that mistake last year), 6) a scarf (the more skin covered the better off you will be, & 7) stay active take up a winter sport best way to get out and adapt to the new environment, also you might meet some people with common interest.

Does "Minnesota Nice" exist?

Absolutely, but it can be found in most areas of the country as well though.

So do I like the Twin Cities, Absolutely!

Good, luck!

Last edited by sandlapper; 12-28-2010 at 11:21 PM..

Old 12-29-2010, 08:25 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcyHolmesMaven View Post
How religious are the people in Twin Cities/Minnesota? I agree with previous posters that few Minnesotans are overtly religious, but there is a very big difference between city neighborhoods and the outlying suburbs, with the latter (in general) having a much greater percentage of religious and political conservatives. You might not want to choose to live in Michelle Bachmann's district, for example!
I'm religious but I keep it to myself as that's a personal thing to me. Sometimes people try to press their religion on others though. My wife is Jewish and she's told me a number of occassions where people have brought up religion to her and made her feel uncomfortable. I have to say that most of these people were Evangelical Lutherans, though, and my understanding of this sect of Christianity is that they are encouraged by the church to preach the Word of God to others and try to convince them that Jesus is the answer to salvation. I realize this isn't ALL Lutherans, but mostly the right-wing extremists. Personally, I can't stand this practice (even as a faithful Christian), but it's pretty rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul