Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 04:51 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,656,373 times

Advertisements

I used to love going out to places to catch live music, but I haven't been to too many bars or cafes in the Twin Cities lately during music hours.

Do any of you have recommendations? What kind of stuff do you like to hear when you go out, and where do you go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 04:55 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,674,523 times
I like the smaller, more intimate bars, almost pub-like if you will. I like places with maybe two dudes with acoustic guitars on stools, or a guy with a piano. Just simple, easy to listen to, chill stuff. Nice places to sit back and grab a micro brew or 4 and listen to a decent artist.

Where? Hmm Haven't found many. There are plenty of places in MPLS though, I'm sure. Before a concert at First Ave once we walked to a bar and got a few drinks, the place was cool, it was tiny, but packed and a great musician playing some tunes on his acoustic. I dont remember the name of the place though, its just down from First Ave, kind of buy Block E if i remember right

Old 01-02-2011, 05:19 PM

96 posts, read 131,913 times
people go out in Twin Cities? Lol..this is news for me.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:24 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Pardon My French in Eagan. They have amazing food and have live music many weekends (Jazz frequently). It's a great lunch spot too and a great place to buy French pastries if you like those.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:39 PM

96 posts, read 131,913 times
this place looks great, golfgal. How come I never heard of it?

Do u know any other good french places/bakeries? Love french stuff, this might help me feel better. Thanks

Old 01-02-2011, 08:45 PM

88 posts, read 301,386 times
There's tons of music in the Twin Cities. Many bars and coffee shops in the cities proper have music on a regular basis. City Pages is a good resource to figure out what's happening on any given night of the week. That said, a couple of my favorite spots are...

First Avenue in downtown Minneapolis. You can't talk about music in the Twin Cities and not mention this. It's a living piece of Minneapolis music history and definitely worth checking out. Lots of national acts of various sizes. More and more local acts are starting to sell it out too, which is a testament to the thriving music scene here. The 7th Street Entry is connected and provides a much more intimate setting for smaller bands as well. Often overshadowed by First Ave. (or the Mainroom) but very cool in it's own way.

The 331 Club in NE Minneapolis has music most nights of the week and is free. It gets pretty busy on Fridays/Saturdays. Trendy spot depending on the night.

The Hexagon Bar in (I think) Seward also has free music many nights. A good dive with an interesting mix of music fans and neighborhood regulars.

The Turf Club in St. Paul's Midway is probably my favorite venue and what I consider St. Paul's finest. Local bands pretty much every night. Smaller national acts every once in a while. Local musicians work and show up here to support each other. Always at least a $5 cover. Go on a Friday or Saturday when the Clown Lounge is open in the basement. A much quieter spot to have a beer and talk with friends. Good jukebox and sometimes live music or DJs down there as well.

While not as thriving as the Turf Club, it's worth mentioning Hotrod's and Big V's just across Snelling. Music most nights and just a short walk away.

Honorable mentions: Triple Rock Social Club, Cabooze and Cedar Cultural Center in Minneapolis and Station 4 in St. Paul.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:43 AM

409 posts, read 1,241,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy332 View Post

Do u know any other good french places/bakeries? Love french stuff, this might help me feel better. Thanks
A new french bakery opened up pretty recently on 46th & Grand-- 46th Patisserie. It's tasty!

Old 01-09-2011, 09:30 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,367,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy332 View Post

Check out New French Bakery off of 26th Ave and 26th St S in South Minneapolis...very good baked goods to be found there.

There is a good French restaurant in downtown Minneapolis called Vincent. It's off of Nicollet Mall and 11th St S.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:10 PM

646 posts, read 1,639,303 times
The Dakota Jazz Club & Restaurant is fantastic. It is connected to the Skyway so you don't have to go outside if you stay in the downtown area. Its at Nicollet Mall and 10th.

Dakota Jazz Club & Restaurant | Dakota Jazz Club & Restaurant

Old 01-14-2011, 12:00 PM

7 posts, read 18,630 times
501 club is good too. Similar to 331, no cover and lots of different acts and generas of music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul