Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 02:31 AM

1 posts, read 5,248 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just received a job offer from a company in Fridley, MN.
I'm currently looking for a 1 bedroom apartment for rent. Any suggestions on which neighborhood I should live in?

THings to consider: female, 20s; have a dog; rent <900/month; safe neighborhood; convenient; close to downtown Minneapolis if possible.

Thanksss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 07:48 AM

12 posts, read 40,950 times
Have you checked out Roseville? I think it fits all your criteria and depending on where you live it's about halfway between Minneapolis and Fridley. You don't really say whether you're looking for an urban or suburban area, but Roseville is very walkable, dog-friendly, and extremely safe. It's equally accessible to both downtowns, either driving or via bus. It's about a 10-15 minute drive from Fridley and your commute would be opposite the normal traffic flow (i.e., into the cities) so it would probably be an easy drive each day.

I believe there are some decent rental options. If you're looking for more of a night life or city feel, then this probably isn't it, though. It's pretty family-oriented...more playgrounds than bars.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:05 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
I would live in Fridley. Why create a commute when you don't have to? Fridley itself is just fine, many rental opportunities there and an easy hop into Minneapolis for an occasional night out.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:40 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Since you want to be close to downtown, I'd check out Northeast Minneapolis by the Stone Arch Bridge (St. Anthony/Marcy-Holmes area); tons of rentals there, LOTS to do, lots of young professionals in their 20s, and it's an easy commute to Fridley, and within walking distance to downtown. Fridley would be my last choice if I were a single woman in my 20s. It's the epitome of boring. Perfectly fine for families or people who just head home after work, but not exactly geared towards your demographic. If you head a bit north on University (but still within city limits) you'll get slightly quieter neighborhoods, but still safe, fairly affordable, and with a good mix of people. I used to live in Marcy-Holmes when I was in my 20s, and loved the neighborhood; it's a great area for nice walks: beautiful historic houses mixed in with apartments, great access to the river and its parks, convenient, lots of shops, restaurants, bars, and a fascinating history and beautiful views of downtown.

Roseville isn't on the route between downtown Minneapolis and Fridley; it's off a different direction. Between Minneapolis and Fridley would be the NE neighborhoods of Minneapolis, Hilltop, and Columbia Heights.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:46 AM

54 posts, read 112,784 times
I used to live in Northeast Minneapolis and absolutely LOVED it! Ended up moving to have a shorter commute to work. But if you can find a decent apartment there I'd pounce on it. Lots of people in their 20's and 30's live there, lots of stuff to do(bars/restaurants/live music/festivals/) and it's a short jog up to Fridley.

Of course if you prefer suburbia I'd just live right in Fridley, New Brighton is also a possibility.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:32 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I would live in Fridley. Why create a commute when you don't have to? Fridley itself is just fine, many rental opportunities there and an easy hop into Minneapolis for an occasional night out.
It's fine, but it's dull as dishwater. A very generic post-war suburb. Living in Nordeast would put the OP close enough to Fridley and give a more interesting area, without creating too long of a commute

Old 01-02-2011, 10:39 AM

455 posts, read 1,114,292 times
Quote:
Fridley has the culture of a slice of Wonder bread. She said that she wants to live close to DT Minneapolis. I take this to assume that culture is something that she appreciates.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Since you want to be close to downtown, I'd check out Northeast Minneapolis by the Stone Arch Bridge (St. Anthony/Marcy-Holmes area); tons of rentals there, LOTS to do, lots of young professionals in their 20s, and it's an easy commute to Fridley, and within walking distance to downtown. Fridley would be my last choice if I were a single woman in my 20s. It's the epitome of boring. Perfectly fine for families or people who just head home after work, but not exactly geared towards your demographic. If you head a bit north on University (but still within city limits) you'll get slightly quieter neighborhoods, but still safe, fairly affordable, and with a good mix of people. I used to live in Marcy-Holmes when I was in my 20s, and loved the neighborhood; it's a great area for nice walks: beautiful historic houses mixed in with apartments, great access to the river and its parks, convenient, lots of shops, restaurants, bars, and a fascinating history and beautiful views of downtown.

Roseville isn't on the route between downtown Minneapolis and Fridley; it's off a different direction. Between Minneapolis and Fridley would be the NE neighborhoods of Minneapolis, Hilltop, and Columbia Heights.
Yes, my vote is to live in NE Minneapolis too.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:57 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
It's fine, but it's dull as dishwater. A very generic post-war suburb. Living in Nordeast would put the OP close enough to Fridley and give a more interesting area, without creating too long of a commute
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalife View Post
Fridley has the culture of a slice of Wonder bread. She said that she wants to live close to DT Minneapolis. I take this to assume that culture is something that she appreciates.

Amazingly you can drive into Minneapolis from Fridley to experience "culture" if you want too. I would venture a pretty good guess that this "culture experience" going to happen on Friday night and Saturday night-so 2 trips/week, vs the 5 trips guaranteed to work each week. I find the double standard on this board of living in Minneapolis and commuting to the suburbs vs living in the suburbs and commuting to Minneapolis quite comical actually.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:

Amazingly you can drive into Minneapolis from Fridley to experience "culture" if you want too. I would venture a pretty good guess that this "culture experience" going to happen on Friday night and Saturday night-so 2 trips/week, vs the 5 trips guaranteed to work each week. I find the double standard on this board of living in Minneapolis and commuting to the suburbs vs living in the suburbs and commuting to Minneapolis quite comical actually.
Yeah, nothing like having a couple of drinks and enjoying that culture and then having to worry about getting on the freeway to drive home

She wants to be close to fun things. Fridley isn't fun, just like Apple Valley isn't fun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul