Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 02:36 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times

Advertisements

On the Washburn issue: while I was growing up it was definitely known as the sub-par local high school (I, too, would have been within Washburn's district, but went to Southwest), but I've heard that Washburn has been steadily improving and is now considered a serious option for the college-bound. Our teacher neighbor has said that increasing numbers of kids in Washburn boundaries -- including those who are switching over from private schools in the area -- are choosing to go there, which is encouraging news.

On the Kenny issue, for what it's worth the schools in this area have also changed recently; I've heard that supposedly at one point Armatage was considered "bad," but that's certainly not the case now. It's now a Montessori magnet, though, so I suppose it's not a given that one would get in (although almost all the kids on our block go there, so I think the odds are still pretty good). I don't know if there are any schools considered undesirable in Southwest now, at least not at the elementary level. And Southwest High School certainly continues to be a popular and desirable choice, especially if one can get into the IB program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 03:06 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
On the Washburn issue: while I was growing up it was definitely known as the sub-par local high school (I, too, would have been within Washburn's district, but went to Southwest), but I've heard that Washburn has been steadily improving and is now considered a serious option for the college-bound. Our teacher neighbor has said that increasing numbers of kids in Washburn boundaries -- including those who are switching over from private schools in the area -- are choosing to go there, which is encouraging news.

On the Kenny issue, for what it's worth the schools in this area have also changed recently; I've heard that supposedly at one point Armatage was considered "bad," but that's certainly not the case now. It's now a Montessori magnet, though, so I suppose it's not a given that one would get in (although almost all the kids on our block go there, so I think the odds are still pretty good). I don't know if there are any schools considered undesirable in Southwest now, at least not at the elementary level. And Southwest High School certainly continues to be a popular and desirable choice, especially if one can get into the IB program.
Did you live in Kenny? If so, where? I was at 56th and Fremont, right near the park. Both Armatage (that's the one) and Washburn were bad through my high school years, so at the time it would have been problematic, and when we were growing up in Minneapolis at the time we had practically no money, so private school wasn't even mentioned.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:34 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,342,916 times
My kids currently go to Southwest or Lake Harriet Community School, but I know several people who send their kids to Washburn. Washburn DID have a terrible reputation and most folks I knew talked of sending their kids to SW or South. However, 2 years ago, Washburn went through a complete restructuring and now new teachers and smaller class sizes, plus a great principal (from all the reports that I've heard). I've heard many good things about Washburn in the past year or so.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:02 PM

No, I grew up in CARAG (literally right on the boundary between Southwest and Washburn, and once in the heart of West territory), but have been temporarily living in Armatage and have family in Kenny right by the park.

I didn't know the details about Washburn's restructuring, but that makes sense -- it's really been only recently that I've started to hear parents discussing Washburn as a real option. So far the people I know have kids who aren't yet at that point, so they're keeping an eye on it for the future. That's definitely a change since my high school years -- I didn't know anyone who went to Washburn. It was always either South or Southwest.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:51 PM

737 posts, read 1,654,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCate View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. We've looking at the Windom/Kenny/Armatage neighborhoods, but we were wondering about the access to restaurants, pubs, coffee in those neighborhoods. They seem to be more bedroom communities than 50th & France, Tangletown, etc. Do you have walking access to these types of things? Are there any pocket neighborhoods/cross streets you can suggest that we should check out?
One of the drawbacks to living in Windom is there are not a lot of dinning options that are within walking distance, Uptown and 50th & France are our closest options. There are a few decent places that we can walk to though, of course Caribou Coffee, Starbucks, Prima (Italian), and a few other carry out options like Beeks Pizza, Cathay Chow Mein, and the "Best Steak House", etc... (the crosstreet near us is W. Diamond Lake and Lyndale) but if walking to great spots is the goal then Uptown would be ideal. The only reason we didn't move there was because we couldn't find a house in the price range we wanted (our max was 250), typically the price goes up in regard to single family homes but I'm sure you guys could find a condo in that range around there. We weighed that option several times, so far though we have no regrets! We also looked in Longfellow, and the SW neighborhoods of St Paul (Macalester-Groveland, Highland Park, & Merriam Park).

Last edited by sandlapper; 01-13-2011 at 10:00 PM..

Old 01-13-2011, 10:32 PM

455 posts, read 1,114,755 times
Quote:
Also, does anyone have any thoughts about east Kingfeld area? Houses seem to get A LOT cheaper by Nicocollet than they are by Lyndale. Is that a bad neighborhood? Specifically around MLK park.
I live close to that area, but south of there. The area isn't too bad and yes the prices are cheaper than Lyndale. You are paying more for the prestige of the Lyndale neighborhood. The 46th Ave and Nicollet area isn't that much of a change. But whatever you do, don't buy a house on Nicollet. Very busy street.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. We've looking at the Windom/Kenny/Armatage neighborhoods, but we were wondering about the access to restaurants, pubs, coffee in those neighborhoods. They seem to be more bedroom communities than 50th & France, Tangletown, etc. Do you have walking access to these types of things? Are there any pocket neighborhoods/cross streets you can suggest that we should check out?
I missed this earlier, so I'll build on Sandlapper's comments. I'd actually put Tangletown in the same general category of quieter neighborhoods with some commercial nodes but nothing like what you find at 50th and France or in Uptown.

The 54th/Lyndale area does have some things, as described in Sandlapper's post. I think it's a neighborhood that will continue to evolve, and I think there's a good chance that better dining options will be part of that future. For some historic background, that stretch of Lyndale has had commercial stuff there for a LONG time. It's been in a transitional period lately, perhaps due to prior road construction and other things (the old movie theater went out in the '90s and the space has never fully been used to its potential; the old grocery store has been turned into a far more upscale Kowalski's, etc., there's been some updating of commercial buildings, etc.) I think more restaurants will be a part of its future.

As a big fan of city neighborhood planning documents, here's one that covers all those areas; it might be of interest to you, too: South Lyndale Corridor Plan
It spells out some of the community goals and plans, as well as provides all sorts of other information that could be useful for anyone considering buying in the area.

I'm temporarily in Armatage, and the ability to walk to things is pretty limited. There's a nice, although small, commercial node at 54th and Penn, but generally I walk a LONG way to get places (well, I did when the weather was nicer). There are restaurants and shops strung along the length of 50th, as well as pocket nodes here and there, but in general I would not choose to live in this part of the city if being able to walk to a lot of different places is important to you. There's just not a huge variety. It's very nice in many, many other ways, but it's pretty sleepy on the commercial front. On the other hand, if you just want to be within easy walking distance of a couple of restaurants and a coffee place or two, that's certainly feasible.

If you don't want or can't afford Uptown (or Linden Hills, which is quieter than Uptown but still has a larger central concentration of businesses) then you may want to consider the area where Kingfield, CARAG, Lyndale, and East Harriet collide (along the 36th Street corridor between Lakewood Cemetery and eastward, generally speaking); to me, that's where Uptown and Southwest Minneapolis collide. It's a bit cheaper there, has a quieter feel to it than the busier core Uptown, and has more dining/coffee options. 36th and Bryant is one of my favorite small commercial nodes, and there's a lot of other activity on Grand in Kingfield, plus a number of other small coffee places and restaurants at other intersections (Crema Cafe at 34th and Lyndale, for example). I've seen some very nice homes over there in your budget. If you lived somewhere like the southern part of CARAG you'd also be able to walk to the heart of Uptown and Lyn-Lake, but could also just spend your time hanging out at Gigi's and Our Kitchen (36th and Bryant), Crema Cafe (34th Lyndale), Urban Bean (34th and Bryant), El Meson (35th and Lyndale), Butter (36th and Grand) and so on.

Still, if you just want to live near some things, and don't need a lot of variety within walking distance, you may still be very happy with Window, Kenny, or Armatage, depending on specific location.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:01 PM

3 posts, read 4,463 times
If walking to neighborhood stores is important, you should check out walkscore.com. Put in an address and it'll rate the walkability of that particular location.

48th and Chicago is about 8 blocks from my house and we do walk there. Turtle bread is awsome, as well as Adrians and Pepitos. (walkscore=88)

54th and Nicollet has some shops as well, Liberty Custard, a new coffee shop, a hardware store, Tangletown gardens, and is near Tangletown. (walkscore=74)

54th and Lyndale is also a bustle of activity, starbucks, Kolwaski's grocery, a wine store... (walkscore=74)

50th and France area just has tons of shops. (walkscore=77)

Compare this to 54 and Xerxes, which is very near the creek, but has less amenities close by (walkscore=60)

Steve

Last edited by old-house-guy; 01-18-2011 at 06:21 PM..

Old 01-24-2011, 08:29 AM

7 posts, read 18,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old-house-guy View Post
If walking to neighborhood stores is important, you should check out walkscore.com. Put in an address and it'll rate the walkability of that particular location.

48th and Chicago is about 8 blocks from my house and we do walk there. Turtle bread is awsome, as well as Adrians and Pepitos. (walkscore=88)

54th and Nicollet has some shops as well, Liberty Custard, a new coffee shop, a hardware store, Tangletown gardens, and is near Tangletown. (walkscore=74)

54th and Lyndale is also a bustle of activity, starbucks, Kolwaski's grocery, a wine store... (walkscore=74)

50th and France area just has tons of shops. (walkscore=77)

Compare this to 54 and Xerxes, which is very near the creek, but has less amenities close by (walkscore=60)

Steve
Wow! This is great. Thanks Steve.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:29 PM

7 posts, read 31,879 times
Just wanted to say that according to the Mpls schools website, Kenny is now in the Southwest High School district. MPS Highschool Choice Center - Attendance Areas Map
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul