Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 01:11 PM

37 posts, read 66,661 times

Advertisements

I think one has to agree with most (if not all) of the points brought up.

Instead of attacking him/her, let us discuss the points raised. They are accurate, and I think the southerner is quite perceptive.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:28 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Well thank you for sharing, but why do you feel compelled to tell "us" this -- to make you feel better about yourself? Most of what you said is so stereotypical if it were a racial subject you'd be considered a blatant racist, instead it's just naive! No offense but we don't need lessons about how to maintain a city, especially when you compare it to Memphis -- the armpit of the South! The beautiful thing about this country is if you don't like one place, you are FREE to move to another, so what is holding you back? Instead of complaining and blaming your situation on an entire city and state, why don't you own up to your difficulties and do something about it yourself? At the same time, it's probably best to keep any negativity to yourself, especially during the winter, because most people don't like to hear it.

I do, however, appreciate your honesty and bluntness!

Old 01-11-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendij1 View Post
I think one has to agree with most (if not all) of the points brought up.

Instead of attacking him/her, let us discuss the points raised. They are accurate, and I think the southerner is quite perceptive.
It's one thing to make constructive criticism, it's another thing entirely to mention anything and everything that bothers you and then blame it on where you live. Most of life's problems can be solved by looking in the mirror, not others. He sounds like he's nominating himself Moses of the South, so maybe you can follow him out of MN and back to the promised land?

Old 01-11-2011, 01:43 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,655,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Most of life's problems can be solved by looking in the mirror...
So true.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:09 PM

16 posts, read 22,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_22 View Post
I don't believe you.
I wouldn't believe it either, but it happened.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Well thank you for sharing, but why do you feel compelled to tell "us" this -- to make you feel better about yourself? Most of what you said is so stereotypical if it were a racial subject you'd be considered a blatant racist, instead it's just naive! No offense but we don't need lessons about how to maintain a city, especially when you compare it to Memphis -- the armpit of the South! The beautiful thing about this country is if you don't like one place, you are FREE to move to another, so what is holding you back? Instead of complaining and blaming your situation on an entire city and state, why don't you own up to your difficulties and do something about it yourself? At the same time, it's probably best to keep any negativity to yourself, especially during the winter, because most people don't like to hear it.

I do, however, appreciate your honesty and bluntness!
Awesome!

If you read the whole post, you would have noticed that these views were not intended for the people of Minnesota, but for the people who are wanting to move here and have questions that most don't have the balls to answer. For those that have answered (thank you for help clearing these things up and also to notice that I am not alone in seeing these things) they have helped me to better understand why things are done in the manner that they are. I am from a different part of the nation and evidently things are way different here than they are in the south. Raciest? LMAO!!!!! You want a raciest comment, then go to Memphis and try to live your life in the middle of one of the biggest reverse raciest city in the nation. You wouldn't survive in that "armpit" of a city with that attitude. They would walk all over you and take everything you got while doing it. LOL... you don't know what it is like living in that situation...raciest...lmao.

Complaining about the situation? Yeah, to a degree I am, but I am also doing something about it in the process. I am in fact saving a nice lump some again like I did in Memphis to move out of here... in time it will happen, but I'm not going to rush it. Memphis is the armpit of the south... I know that you were trying to slap me with that, but I agree with you 100%

Screaming in the restaurant comment. Yes, it happens everywhere there is alcohol served which is in most restaurants. We are used to a quite, very low toned environment when it comes to fine dining so when we come here (and what you guys consider normal) and immediately notice the loud factor in a restaurant, it's hard not to notice and say something about it.

The winters here are not that bad. In fact, it's very tolerable. The only thing that I can see about winter that would be worth complaining about are the independent plow truck drivers with the huge chip on their shoulders as they tailgate and try to run you off the road. You want weather problems... try living in the south where it get 110+ with over 100% humidity for over 3 months strait. Try living with that while in a blink of an eye a thunderstorm pops up without warning and blasts a tornado through your neighborhood killing and destroying everything that you know. Sometimes that would happen twice a day. You think that a simple A/C unit would cure that? Imagine it being so hot that they don't just give out heat warnings, they tell you that if you don't stay indoors with sufficient A/C, you will die. People drop like flies out there because it gets so hot. People go crazy because it gets so hot. You want to see road rage? Spend a summer down there on an August day while the temps were in the steady 105+ and see how fast it takes to **** someone off AND watch how fast they pull a pistol out and shoot your car up if not you. Been there, done that and saw it happen more than once.

Yes, it's another person who wasn't born here that is pointing out the obvious things that I know others see too. In my line of business, I do get the fortune to meet others who are not from here and they will admit the exact same things as I do. I know you don't like to hear about and heaven forbid someone points it out and everybody gets offended...lol. It's not a stereo type if it's the truth. Everything that I stated is exactly to the tee what has happened to me here and I am simply expressing what I have experienced. If it made you mad to hear it... why?

GolfGal, Sweetie, that is the same attitude that I get from many people here in Minnesota. Thank you for validating exactly the attitude that I have been trying to explain. Instead of helping someone understand or reasoning a situation, it's the old standby attitude "Out of sight out of mind - You don't like it, leave it" That attitude is one of the reasons the divorce rate is so high in this nation. Work it out instead of tossing it out the window for the trash. (As a side note the divorce thing has nothing to do with you, it was used as an example only)

I'm a very patient and loving person and I do have my problems. I will promise you that you will have a very difficult time if you ever left MN and tried to adapt in another culture. You all missed the point that I've been all over the nation and I've experienced other cultures. This one strikes me as different and I wanted to express that to others so that I may have more insight as to why things are the way they are here.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
It's one thing to make constructive criticism, it's another thing entirely to mention anything and everything that bothers you and then blame it on where you live. Most of life's problems can be solved by looking in the mirror, not others. He sounds like he's nominating himself Moses of the South, so maybe you can follow him out of MN and back to the promised land?
Moses of the south.... that was funny! You obviously can't handle constructive criticism or any criticism for that manner. I mentioned it all because I wanted to inform others who have questions as a third persons perspective AND (believe it or not Min Chi Cbus, I wanted insight as to why it is so different) You seem to be one of the only ones here that has such a huge problem with this thread.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusGT View Post
Moses of the south.... that was funny! You obviously can't handle constructive criticism or any criticism for that manner. I mentioned it all because I wanted to inform others who have questions as a third persons perspective AND (believe it or not Min Chi Cbus, I wanted insight as to why it is so different) You seem to be one of the only ones here that has such a huge problem with this thread.
I'm not going to pretend like your attitude isn't bothersome, but I don't have a huge problem with you or what you said, I just don't know why you're sharing it with all of us except for maybe you want pity or to feel better about yourself.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusGT View Post
Awesome!

If you read the whole post, you would have noticed that these views were not intended for the people of Minnesota, but for the people who are wanting to move here and have questions that most don't have the balls to answer. For those that have answered (thank you for help clearing these things up and also to notice that I am not alone in seeing these things) they have helped me to better understand why things are done in the manner that they are. I am from a different part of the nation and evidently things are way different here than they are in the south. Raciest? LMAO!!!!! You want a raciest comment, then go to Memphis and try to live your life in the middle of one of the biggest reverse raciest city in the nation. You wouldn't survive in that "armpit" of a city with that attitude. They would walk all over you and take everything you got while doing it. LOL... you don't know what it is like living in that situation...raciest...lmao.

Complaining about the situation? Yeah, to a degree I am, but I am also doing something about it in the process. I am in fact saving a nice lump some again like I did in Memphis to move out of here... in time it will happen, but I'm not going to rush it. Memphis is the armpit of the south... I know that you were trying to slap me with that, but I agree with you 100%

Screaming in the restaurant comment. Yes, it happens everywhere there is alcohol served which is in most restaurants. We are used to a quite, very low toned environment when it comes to fine dining so when we come here (and what you guys consider normal) and immediately notice the loud factor in a restaurant, it's hard not to notice and say something about it.

The winters here are not that bad. In fact, it's very tolerable. The only thing that I can see about winter that would be worth complaining about are the independent plow truck drivers with the huge chip on their shoulders as they tailgate and try to run you off the road. You want weather problems... try living in the south where it get 110+ with over 100% humidity for over 3 months strait. Try living with that while in a blink of an eye a thunderstorm pops up without warning and blasts a tornado through your neighborhood killing and destroying everything that you know. Sometimes that would happen twice a day. You think that a simple A/C unit would cure that? Imagine it being so hot that they don't just give out heat warnings, they tell you that if you don't stay indoors with sufficient A/C, you will die. People drop like flies out there because it gets so hot. People go crazy because it gets so hot. You want to see road rage? Spend a summer down there on an August day while the temps were in the steady 105+ and see how fast it takes to **** someone off AND watch how fast they pull a pistol out and shoot your car up if not you. Been there, done that and saw it happen more than once.

Yes, it's another person who wasn't born here that is pointing out the obvious things that I know others see too. In my line of business, I do get the fortune to meet others who are not from here and they will admit the exact same things as I do. I know you don't like to hear about and heaven forbid someone points it out and everybody gets offended...lol. It's not a stereo type if it's the truth. Everything that I stated is exactly to the tee what has happened to me here and I am simply expressing what I have experienced. If it made you mad to hear it... why?

GolfGal, Sweetie, that is the same attitude that I get from many people here in Minnesota. Thank you for validating exactly the attitude that I have been trying to explain. Instead of helping someone understand or reasoning a situation, it's the old standby attitude "Out of sight out of mind - You don't like it, leave it" That attitude is one of the reasons the divorce rate is so high in this nation. Work it out instead of tossing it out the window for the trash. (As a side note the divorce thing has nothing to do with you, it was used as an example only)

I'm a very patient and loving person and I do have my problems. I will promise you that you will have a very difficult time if you ever left MN and tried to adapt in another culture. You all missed the point that I've been all over the nation and I've experienced other cultures. This one strikes me as different and I wanted to express that to others so that I may have more insight as to why things are the way they are here.
I've "survived" St. Louis, where I use to live, if that counts. Surviving isn't tough if you TRY to get along with the people you surround yourself with. I don't know why you're trying to coax people to leave the state on a MN forum but you're barking up the wrong tree. People who hate MN or the Twin Cities generally don't research forums about those cities just to find a place to vent. You may find a straggler or two who is on the fence, but why waste everyone elses' time? All I said earlier was that there is not much of a point to complain about your life to a group of people on a forum designed to discuss city and regional matters. You're not going to epiphanize anyone here with your "horror stories" of Minnesota, but like I said, I do appreciate the honesty and it's a different perspective than I'm used to.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:05 PM

455 posts, read 1,114,292 times
This post is AWESOME!!!!! I love hearing opinions from people that aren't from MN because too many MN people think that MN is the only place to be. Funny, but whenever I go on vacation to the West Coast, I never even think of this place and don't care to come back. It is just a place to be because there are jobs here and the cost of living is doable.

To the OP, yeah lots of native Minnesotans are going to be offended by your post because another trait of people in the passive aggressive region that is the Twin Cities, is that they can't stand to hear the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul