Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 08:46 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Who considers 90% black to be more diverse than 90% white? No one on this thread has suggested that. I, for one, don't consider 90% of ANY one race to be anything near "diverse." But given that there are no Twin Cities suburbs that come anywhere near those numbers, that's sort of a moot point. (Brooklyn Center is still majority white! Just barely, but still majority white -- NOT anywhere near 90% black. And of the 49% of minority residents, they're not all black. There's more to diversity than just black and white people.) And for what it's worth, doesn't Min-Chi-Cbus live in Edina? I think it's time to question the assumptions here!!

On the suburb question: SOME suburbs have become very diverse. MOST suburbs have probably become more diverse than they were ten years ago, but that doesn't mean they're all big melting pots now; for some suburbs that still means they're only 93% white now, compared to 97%. And yes, as many of us have recognized on other threads (and is common knowledge) many city neighborhoods aren't all that diverse either. This thread is looking at overall city boundaries rather than neighborhoods, though, and in this case the topic is suburbs.
What was that for? We went to the same elementary school, remember? If you have a problem with me because my current residence in is Edina why don't you PM me and discuss it in person? You have no idea what you're talking about, as usual.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:52 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
What was that for? We went to the same elementary school, remember? If you have a problem with me because my current residence in is Edina why don't you PM me and discuss it in person? You have no idea what you're talking about, as usual.
Hey, calm down. I thought Golfgal was the one criticizing you. I know you're FROM the city, but don't you live in Edina currently? Or recently in the past? My point wasn't to criticize you -- or anyone else -- for living in Edina or any other suburb (and I like parts of Edina just fine!), but rather to protest against the allegations that the only people on this thread were people living in the city, people who (in the eyes of some) apparently never step foot in a suburb. Obviously you've spent time in the suburbs (as have I). But what do I know? I have no idea what I'm talking about, "as usual."

I certainly did not intend the reference to living in Edina to be taken as an insult (what's wrong with living in Edina??); just a statement of fact. It was simply a response to Golfgal. My problem was with her post, not with yours! (the "assumptions" comment was aimed at her, not at you -- HER assumptions, not yours, as she seemed to assume that you are a city resident who doesn't get out much, and therefore should or could not possibly comment on diversity in the suburbs.)

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 01-23-2011 at 03:21 PM..

Old 01-23-2011, 09:00 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Hey, calm down. I thought Golfgal was the one criticizing you. I know you're FROM the city, but don't you live in Edina currently? Or recently in the past? My point wasn't to criticize you -- or anyone else -- for living in Edina or any other suburb (and I like parts of Edina just fine!), but rather to protest against the allegations that the only people on this thread were people living in the city, people who (in the eyes of some) apparently never step foot in a suburb. Obviously you've spent time in the suburbs (as have I).

I certainly did not intend the reference to living in Edina to be taken as an insult; just a statement of fact. It was simply a response to Golfgal. My problem was with her post, not with yours! (the "assumptions" comment was aimed at her, not at you -- HER assumptions, not yours, as she seemed to assume that you are a city resident who doesn't get out much, and therefore should or could not possibly comment on diversity in the suburbs.)
Actually I was criticizing audadvnc and his North Minneapolis neighborhood considering he is the one that keeps throwing out comments about the suburbs.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:50 AM

I'm sorry about all the misunderstandings here. I'll let it go, and try to get back to the original question:

No, I don't think there's any magic number or equation that correlates diversity levels with a "better" neighborhood, but generally speaking, I do think it is an undesirable thing if a neighborhood in today's Twin Cities is well into the 90% points white. Those numbers should be dropping as the Twin Cities continues to grow more diverse, and I do think that's a good thing. I don't think it's healthy for a community in today's world to have such a high percentage of people from any one race/ethnicity that the odd person out who doesn't fit that profile will feel like the token [insert race here] resident. I don't ever envision that everyone will be spread out in equal numbers across every neighborhood, and I think that's okay, too. I think economic diversity is more important to a neighborhood's health and livability than is racial or ethnic diversity.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:20 PM

Another thought on the topic: I think this also varies heavily by age. We've been spending a lot of time in Southdale lately (got to get out of the house and walk around somewhere warm!) and I've noticed that a LOT of the other families with younger kids are not white. Granted, not all the people at Southdale live in Edina (we don't), but while I don't know demographic break-down of some of these areas by age, my assumption is that Edina's older population (and Richfield's, and Bloomington's, and Southwest Minneapolis's) are heavily white, while the racial/ethnic demographics of the younger crowd is very different. I don't think anyone walking around Southdale lately would say that the Twin Cities are "lily white."

Old 01-23-2011, 04:24 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,225,174 times
Not only are suburbs getting a lot more diverse - but I think in the not-so-distant future (like, less than 100 years) a lot of the suburbs are going to be primarily minorities and other "underclasses".

I don't think people actually dislike suburbs because they're white (at least white people don't dislike them because of that...speaking as a white person myself). I don't know that I've ever lived in any neighborhood, in any city, where there wasn't at least a plurality of white people. I think, taking the entire city, Philly may have slightly more black people then white. But there has been a large segment of black people here going back a long, long time. More than anything, I think it's sort of just a fun little stereotype that supporters of cities throw at the suburbs. Perhaps its not fair...but cities have enough stereotypes about them that it probably is fair, for the sake of fun anyway.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:33 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Plus, a 90% white city is very diverse by outstate Minnesota standards. If a non-Twin Cities-area town is 10% or greater minority (Mankato, Marshall, St. Cloud, Rochester to name them all), it's definitely considered to be a bastion of diversity and multiculturalism compared to the surrounding area. There are many towns in southern Minnesota that are literally 100% white, and others that are more than 99% white. Compared to the outstate, places like Burnsville and Eagan seem very, very diverse, let alone Brooklyn Center.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:00 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,423,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
Not only are suburbs getting a lot more diverse - but I think in the not-so-distant future (like, less than 100 years) a lot of the suburbs are going to be primarily minorities and other "underclasses".

I don't think people actually dislike suburbs because they're white (at least white people don't dislike them because of that...speaking as a white person myself). I don't know that I've ever lived in any neighborhood, in any city, where there wasn't at least a plurality of white people. I think, taking the entire city, Philly may have slightly more black people then white. But there has been a large segment of black people here going back a long, long time. More than anything, I think it's sort of just a fun little stereotype that supporters of cities throw at the suburbs. Perhaps its not fair...but cities have enough stereotypes about them that it probably is fair, for the sake of fun anyway.
I dunno, potlucks get a lot more interesting when you have at least 4 continents represented at your table. That alone might be enough to swing me against non-diverse suburbs.

(I'm mixing race, ethnicity, and geography here, which isn't totally fair...just playing, though)

Old 01-23-2011, 06:06 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,060,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Uptown_Urbanist wasn't insulting Edina. Golfgal was accusing you of never leaving your house in Minneapolis and never ever setting foot in a suburb in your entire life, and Uptown_Urbanist was pretty much saying that since you live in Edina it's kind of hard to always be in Minneapolis and never step foot in a suburb when you live in one. Golfgal was the one who didn't know what she was talking about, since you live in Edina and not Minneapolis.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:08 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,060,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Sitting in your home in Minneapolis assuming the suburbs are "lily white" is a different story.
You sound like my father with all of these incredibly ignorant and closed minded assumptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul