U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 07:27 PM

336 posts, read 239,023 times
Default apartment for felons?

are there apartments or duplexes that anyone knows of in the metro that are felony friendly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 08:51 PM

4,443 posts, read 3,049,123 times
anywhere that accepts cash, probably.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:56 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,485,590 times
find a small privately owned place who'll rent who doesn't check criminal history, lol, but then again, those landlords are also probably stupid.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:35 PM

1,027 posts, read 968,151 times
I would assume there are some groups out there with some resources...maybe check with whatever agencies run half-way houses? (I know you aren't looking for a half-way house, but they would presumably have experience getting people from half-way to all-the-way?)

Old 01-22-2011, 02:51 PM

1,635 posts, read 743,745 times
Any of the Southwestern suburbs will be perfect for felons. Lots of rich folks with unlocked doors and no clue. I recommend you go there...

... but if you're talking about reformed felons, then check out Camden's note, below. Best wishes in your search.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:53 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,335,045 times
Hi Smith21,

Direct message with where you are looking to find a place and I might be able to provide a few contacts for you. As mentioned above, there are some (not as many as are needed) programs in Minneapolis available to assist ex-offenders with both finding employment and housing that would be good places for you to check in and network with, whether it's locating a place to live or looking for employment that I could also refer you to.

It's not easy for persons with criminal histories out there, and it's become increasingly more difficult in recent years despite some great successes of groups advocating for people with criminal histories.

On that note- are you familiar with Second Chance Day on the Hill and the MN Second Chance Coalition? The 2011 Second Chance Day on the Hill is coming up this Wednesday, 1/26, at 10:00am (@ the State Capitol) and would be a great place to advocate for this cause and network with some people working on this issue. Check out the Coalition's website (Second Chance Coalition | Justice Reform | 2nd Chance | Day on the Hill | Minneapolis | St. Paul | Minnesota) and the group's FB page (linked to from that site) to get more info on the event including signing up for one of the buses going to the event.

Good luck and again, feel free to direct message me with some more detailed info about what you are seeking.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:10 PM

409 posts, read 700,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
anywhere that accepts cash, probably.
Not nessecarilly true. Accepting cash is very advantageous for a business, as it saves on credit card fees, which can be as high as $20-30 for a large transaction like a rent payment. Realizing that you can save a lot of money by accepting cash and deciding to take the risk of renting to a convicted felon are completely unrelated.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:25 AM

20,804 posts, read 29,203,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
Any of the Southwestern suburbs will be perfect for felons. Lots of rich folks with unlocked doors and no clue. I recommend you go there...

... but if you're talking about reformed felons, then check out Camden's note, below. Best wishes in your search.
Much better than having to lock 3 deadbolts and having bars on your windows

Old 01-23-2011, 05:56 PM

1,635 posts, read 743,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Much better than having to lock 3 deadbolts and having bars on your windows
touche. FWIW, I don't have any bars on my windows... but I've got neighbors that do.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 21,941 times
I am also looking for an apartment for my husband and I. We both have good jobs and want to find a place for us by March 1st. We do need a 3 bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul