Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2011, 08:03 PM

43 posts, read 110,018 times

Advertisements

I am looking into the University of Wisconsin-Stout in Menomonie because it has a program of my interest that are closer to Twin Cities.

I am not familiar with the area at all because I would be moving from my home state Mississippi.

Anyway, I prefer to live closer to Twin Cities as possible and commute to school if I choose UW-Stout over my other choices.

Do you have any suggestions for great places to live between Menomonie and Twin Cities that is easily commutable?

I have been checking out both Hudson, WI and Woodbury, MN. Both sounds great but Woodbury is little farther. Hudson is still about 46 miles to UW-Stout but only 28 miles to Downtown Minneapolis plus it's more affordable to live. I have no idea about the job market in Hudson though.

I know that Twin Cities draw commuters from Eau Claire, WI and Rochester, MN so I am not the only one with insane commute. LOL!

Any suggestions/recommendations will be very helpful and deeply appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 06:03 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Why not live on or near campus? Sounds like you are just going to make your life more difficult in order to live near Minneapolis. Keep in mind that in this area a 40 minute commute means you miss class frequently because of weather conditions, especially in rural Wisconsin (or rural MN for that matter).

There isn't much between Hudson and Eau Claire other then River Falls and Menominee.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:22 AM

43 posts, read 110,018 times
Believe me, I've thought about the weather all the time.

My job will be in St. Paul near Marshall Ave. area and UW-Stout with a program of my interest is all the way out in Menomonie, WI.

I tried to do online program but it is restricted to people who already have MS or post-graduate degrees.

Any suggestions for me to do?

Old 02-06-2011, 05:59 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Find a different job?? I guess I don't know how old you are or what your family situation is but can you just go to college and work part time somewhere near school?

Otherwise I think you have discovered that either Hudson or Woodbury areas are your best bet. If you are going to school in WI, I would live in WI just in case there are changes to tuition reciprocity with states having budget issues. Maybe you will be lucky and can plan your school schedule so you only have classes 3 days/week?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul