Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 05:27 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,626,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katholland View Post
Can anyone tell me how far of a drive is Lakeville to St.Francis? It looks as though we may have found a place to live in Lakeville, but I found a job in St.Francis...on a horse farm.
Worst decision of your life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 06:00 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,621,478 times
You'll never be home to enjoy your place in Lakeville. Find a job closer to Lakeville, or find a home closer to St. Francis. I think you'll find that commute to be unbearable.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:57 PM

298 posts, read 745,867 times
Katholland:

Since you found a job at a horse farm, I'm curious to know whether or not you have previously worked at any of the horse breeding or horse raising farms in and around Ocala especially with the horse racing industry as big as it is near Ocala?

As far as living in Lakeville (the far southern edge of the Twin Cities Metro) and working in St. Francis (the far northern edge of the Twin Cities), that would have to be a good 60-70 mile commute one-way through downtown Mineapolis. A further distance if you take the Twin Cities bypass Interstates 694 and 494.

Go to Google Maps then put in your potential Lakeville residence along with the horse farm address and see what the distance is.

If you choose to rent in Lakeville you can look at working for one of the horse farms immediately south of that location around Elko , Northfield , Fairabault , New Prague , Hastings , Montgomery , Lonsdale , etc. There are a lot of farms still in Dakota County, Scott County, Rice County etc.

If you really would like to work at the Horse Farm in St. Francis, find someplace to live right in St. Francis or someplace close such as: East Bethel , Cambridge , Isanti , Ham Lake , Oak Grove , Anoka , Elk River Princeton , etc

You might be interested in working for one of the two horse racing facilities here in the Minneapolis- St. Paul Area. Canterbury Park is in the Southwest suburb of Shakopee with live racing May through September along US 169 and Canterbury Road. Running Aces Harness Park runs live harness racing all Summer in the Northeast Anoka County suburb of Columbus, near Forest Lake along I-35 at exit# 129.

By the way, how is everything going with your husband gainning MN certification as an EMT? Any job prospects?

Old 03-01-2011, 06:18 PM

37 posts, read 133,305 times
Thats kinda what I thought...from looking at the map...it looked like quite a distance. LOL...as far as the winter there in MN...for me a "Floridian"...lol. I am originally from Long Island, NY. So the winter weather will be a welcome change for me. I have lived in Florida way to long and I am definitely ready a change. I miss the seasons and the cold.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:26 PM

My bad...in reply to mn55110...I myself have had 2 horses, actually racing breeds...Standardbred Harness Racer as well as a Thoroughbred. Both of which in recent years I had to put down due to health reasons that were not fixable. :-( I miss them greatly. As far as my husbands job prospects for EMT, we have found at least 40 available positions for hiring at different facilities. So on his end of it, things look very promising. The only thing he has to do is find a school to get his refresher course completed, then apply. Thank you everyone for all the tidbits of info you have sent my way. It has been so very very helpful and we are looking very forward to starting a new life there. ;-)

Old 03-01-2011, 07:15 PM

333 posts, read 701,642 times
Quote:
Thats kinda what I thought...from looking at the map...it looked like quite a distance. LOL...as far as the winter there in MN...for me a "Floridian"...lol. I am originally from Long Island, NY. So the winter weather will be a welcome change for me. I have lived in Florida way to long and I am definitely ready a change. I miss the seasons and the cold.
You'll get plenty of cold here...average highs and lows during the winter months are right around 20 degrees colder than Long Island. ugh. I think summer is more comfortable here though, for most people.

I would definitely join in with others in suggesting areas like Ham Lake, Elk River, Andover, Anoka, etc. All are really nice places to live with solid schools. Obviously, living a little closer in from the edge of the metro might afford your husband some more opportunities for work with a reasonable commute, but there is quite a bit going on in the north suburbs so hopefully he can find something in that area.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:19 PM

Ok...here come the questions again...lol. I have heard alot of nice things about the town of Prior Lake. Anyone want to give me your input on that area?

Old 03-02-2011, 01:04 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,816,905 times
Sure. The first thing I hear about PL is that the commute is rough. Very few ways to get into the city from there. Second, it seems to me like people live in Prior Lake to be apart from the metro area (even though it's in the metro area). It seems a little like a society of quiet suburban dwellers who are contempt being away from the city. I don't know why I get that vibe, but it just feels that way to me. Whether that is for you or not is for you to decide.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:57 PM

411 posts, read 987,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Sure. The first thing I hear about PL is that the commute is rough. Very few ways to get into the city from there. .
Excellent point. The few times I've had to go there I found it annoying to get to.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:03 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,066,170 times
Quote:
Ok...here come the questions again...lol. I have heard alot of nice things about the town of Prior Lake. Anyone want to give me your input on that area?
I guess it depends on where you will be working-Prior Lake to St. Francis would be even worse then coming from Lakeville.

I don't find getting to or from Prior Lake to be an issue at all. There is a very nice 4 lane road connecting Prior Lake to 35W or you can take Highway 13 north. You can also connect over to 169.

Prior Lake is a nice area, still small town. You will have a grocery store, some fast food places, etc. but would have to drive to Target/Walmart and other shopping-but not a bad drive. There is a Target right on 185th that goes right into Prior Lake. We drive through Prior Lake frequently on our way out to SW MN.

If you can find a job around Prior Lake, you won't be disappointed living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul