Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:27 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
Hey smart guy, I work with a half dozen Somalis at my hotel, they are perfect gentlemen. Unlike you. Your remark is outrageous and racist. Go away.
Somalis are not a monolithic group. Both sets of experience could be correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 09:31 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,091 times
Yeah, I've spent most of my free time in Minneapolis in Cedar-Riverside. And my wife used to work in the area. It's an awesome neighborhood with great people.

It's a shame you didn't say something like that in your interview - because there are probably plenty of doctors involved in the admissions process that would have voted you down based purely on such a statement. Particularly with so many hundreds of qualified candidates, they don't feel the need to spend their time training malcontents.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Somalis are not a monolithic group. Both sets of experience could be correct.
True. There are probably more sexual deviants at the U of M than among the Somali community though.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:39 AM

7 posts, read 6,409 times
I didn't mean to offend or generalize to all Somalis. Like I said, I worked at Riverside ED and got to know lots of Somalis. My remark was only to describe the area. There are indeed lots of gangbangers in that area which happens to be predominately Somali. Maybe I should have left out the Somali descriptor. It seems to be hard to be completely PC.

I want to reiterate that I do not believe all Somalis are criminals. But nevertheless, one would be a fool to say that the Cedar/Riverside area is a safe place to raise a family, walk at night, etc.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
Yeah, I've spent most of my free time in Minneapolis in Cedar-Riverside. And my wife used to work in the area. It's an awesome neighborhood with great people.

It's a shame you didn't say something like that in your interview - because there are probably plenty of doctors involved in the admissions process that would have voted you down based purely on such a statement. Particularly with so many hundreds of qualified candidates, they don't feel the need to spend their time training malcontents.

My previous remark is being totally taken out of context. You might think that area is great and I have met many great people from the area, but would you move your small child there and not worry about it? It may be an area with great people but there is also gang activity and a lot of crime.

You people are generalizing way too much. I have met many awesome people from North-Northeast Minneapolis too but that doesn't mean it is safe for me and my family.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFHawks View Post
My previous remark is being totally taken out of context. You might think that area is great and I have met many great people from the area, but would you move your small child there and not worry about it? It may be an area with great people but there is also gang activity and a lot of crime.

You people are generalizing way too much. I have met many awesome people from North-Northeast Minneapolis too but that doesn't mean it is safe for me and my family.
Personally - yes, I would. But I don't expect everyone to think the same way as I do about everything.

I don't know if you're from Minneapolis or have spent a lot of time there. But the Somalis deal with a lot of crap from residents, particularly for a group that is as close to being model immigrants as you can get (knowing english, being entrepreneurial, maintaining communities) - and there are people like me who have heard it all and are sick of it and react quickly to such comments. If anyone took you out of context, it's just because we've run into that context plenty of times. It has less to do with being PC and more to do with the fact that there are a lot of people who seriously don't like the Somalis. And it's not all that hard to avoid being mistaken as one of them.

Late Edit: There is actually significantly less reported crime in Cedar-Riverside than several other of the inner city neighborhoods. Its crimes reported per month are often closer to Linden Hills than to Marcy-Holmes, Como, Seward and other neighborhoods close to downtown and campus. So unless there's some sort of evidence of a massive amount of unreported crime as opposed to other neighborhoods (which could be possible, based on the amount of immigrants, but I've never seen any real evidence of), the allegation that it is "high crime" is rather misleading. There's crime on par with the rest of the city. It's better than some neighborhoods, and worse than some.

Last edited by FamousBlueRaincoat; 02-16-2011 at 10:00 AM..

Old 02-16-2011, 10:03 AM

Yeah I can see that. I am not from minneapolis. I am from Stillwater where no one needs to lock their doors. Also, going to undergrad at the U we receive crime alerts that I think are super biased now that I think about it. ~95% of the offenders listed are 'east african' in the reports and are in that area (mostly muggings with life-threatening weapons) the sexual assaults occur in Marcy-Holmes area mostly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul