Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 03:06 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
The Detroit Metro area is larger in population, so yeah, it's pretty significant.

Also, on a national (even international) scale, Detroit is much more recognizable.
Hey, Minneapolis is recognizable on the international scene! Just last week the guy sitting next to me on my international flight asked me where I was from. When I answered, he said "Minneapolis! Your former governor was Jesse Ventura!" Detroit can't claim THAT.

On a more serious note, I think Minneapolis's recognition factor on the national and international level depends on who is doing the asking. Minneapolis is better known in some areas, Detroit in others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 03:11 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Hey, Minneapolis is recognizable on the international scene! Just last week the guy sitting next to me on my international flight asked me where I was from. When I answered, he said "Minneapolis! Your former governor was Jesse Ventura!" Detroit can't claim THAT.

On a more serious note, I think Minneapolis's recognition factor on the national and international level depends on who is doing the asking. Minneapolis is better known in some areas, Detroit in others.

he sounds like he was pretty confused. MPLS doesn't have a Govenor, they have a Mayor. So, thanks for proving my point

jk. I had to do it!

Detroit has got us with GM and Ford, but MPLS is still pretty well known for Target, 3M, General Mills, Best Buy and such!

Plus it's crazy how recognizable the Vikings are. I've had many people mention to me the 'Vikings' when I say I'm from the Twin Cities.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:34 PM

455 posts, read 1,114,292 times
Quote:
Yeah, since the weather in the Twin Cities is SOOOOOOOOOO much different than Chicago, Boston, Detroit, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia... Give me a break.

There are really only about 15 important metros in the country in terms of GDP, population, TV Markets, etc. and the Twin Cities fall in that group. So, fall back and go move to Des Moines if you can't handle the weather or the economy. DUECES!
Oh, yes I forgot. Never ever say anything bad about Minneapolis. The locals think it rules the world or something.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:42 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalife View Post
Oh, we are better than Detroit. Whoop-dee-doo!!! Like that is some kind of accomplishment
Quote:
Oh, yes I forgot. Never ever say anything bad about Minneapolis. The locals think it rules the world or something.
Your comment was silly...you deserved to be called out

Old 02-27-2011, 05:40 PM

927 posts, read 2,465,885 times
Quote:
he sounds like he was pretty confused. MPLS doesn't have a Govenor, they have a Mayor. So, thanks for proving my point

jk. I had to do it!

Detroit has got us with GM and Ford, but MPLS is still pretty well known for Target, 3M, General Mills, Best Buy and such!

Plus it's crazy how recognizable the Vikings are. I've had many people mention to me the 'Vikings' when I say I'm from the Twin Cities.
I live in California now, but everyone at works knows me as "the Vikings guy" because they think the Vikings are the only thing to do in Minneapolis. When the dome collapsed everyone was saying "oh, no! What are people going to do in Minnesota now?! They lost all of their entertainment."

Also, not many people outside of the Twin Cities know that 3M, Best Buy, Target, General Mills are based out of Minneapolis.

With that being said, I'd say Detroit is probably more well known on an international-level, but Minneapolis has MUCH more to offer.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:42 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Minneapolis has its flaws, but many of the negative comments I've seen about the city are gross exaggerations, largely based (I think) on a lack of knowledge about the area. The Twin Cities isn't a cow town which is frozen ten months out of the year. Really.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:45 PM

455 posts, read 637,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
Also, not many people outside of the Twin Cities know that 3M, Best Buy, Target, General Mills are based out of Minneapolis.
Not dissing on Minneapolis, but I do agree with this... mainly because they don't care.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:01 AM

455 posts, read 1,114,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Minneapolis has its flaws, but many of the negative comments I've seen about the city are gross exaggerations, largely based (I think) on a lack of knowledge about the area. The Twin Cities isn't a cow town which is frozen ten months out of the year. Really.
Correct. It is only frozen 7 months out of the year. No way to live as far as I am concerned.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:35 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,655,638 times
LL, are you currently living in LA? How long was your commute this morning?

Old 02-28-2011, 10:06 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Correct. It is only frozen 7 months out of the year. No way to live as far as I am concerned.
Sounds to me like you don't know how to live. Why let little things like weather get in your way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul