U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:02 PM

115 posts, read 223,551 times

Advertisements

Just curious, I have a potential job offer in Edina, but live in Shoreview. I've gotten used to driving a mile to work and back, but it's time for me to move on with my career.

I'm currently looking for and beginning to interview for Business Data Analyst type roles. Ideally, I'd like to stay in Ramsey County, but I'm getting bites in Edina near Crosstown and 169.

Would this be a tolerable commute to make everyday, or would I begin to resent it? Also, with this kind of job, should I perhaps consider keeping my options open in Ramsey County and not being too hot-to-trot?

Better pay, better benefits, but I typically don't like spending time in traffic. I don't have enough experience driving at rush hour, much less rush hour towards Edina to get a better feeling.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 12:21 PM

396 posts, read 510,189 times
My opinion is that it would be horrible. 35W going south is bad during morning rush hour and going north bad in the afternoon. You could take 694 to 100 but 100 is horrendous during rush hours.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:33 PM

5,531 posts, read 6,065,203 times
I-35W South in the morning really isn't bad.....I take the bus northbound every morning and THAT is the side with the slower traffic, going into downtown. Hwy 62 would be your bigger issue, and even that moves (albeit slow). Putting two and two together, it sounds like you're getting an offer from UnitedHealth Group. I worked there. Some people love it, others don't. I didn't so much, but it wasn't the worst either. They have a lot of job openings because there is a lot of turnover there, so just be wary and make sure you like your boss!

Old 03-03-2011, 12:35 PM

333 posts, read 390,276 times
My better half used to do the exact opposite commute and it took her 50 minutes door to door, each direction. Up to twice that long with bad weather. Bear in mind that we live five blocks from Minneapolis proper and inside of 62, and her employer at the time was right at the junction of 694 & 35, so add another ten minutes getting to the other side of Edina during rush hour, plus however much longer it takes you to get to your home from 694/35...

It could easily be a 50-70 minute average commute all said and done, and you'll be driving through several of the worst patches of traffic in the entire metro, every day in both directions.

She felt the same way too, initially, thinking at first that she'd appreciate the down time in the car, etc. but it quickly turned into an unbearable grind. While she left the company for reasons that had nothing to do with the commute, at the time she was hammering out a flex schedule to allow her to telecommute three days a week. Which she has done full time for the last couple years, incidentally, for different employers.

It might very well be worth it to some people depending on the raise/benefits but it's probably fair to assume you're going to lose 2+ hours of your life to commuting every day, and you can roughly double that during inclement weather. Just my two cents.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:40 PM

5,531 posts, read 6,065,203 times
Depends what time of year, too.....We live near Southdale and when working at UHG I could get there via Hwy 62 in 10 minutes from Jan - Apr, or it could take up to 25-30 minutes from Apr-Dec, especially on Wednesday or Thursday (accidents or weather not included). Since the Crosstown Commons was redone everything did run smoother though. But you can expect to tack THOSE figures on to the 50 minute estimate from DirtMagurt.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:00 PM

761 posts, read 2,074,671 times
What would the hours be? That will make a big difference.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:01 AM

230 posts, read 381,625 times
I drive from Shoreview to downtown Mpls - it's about 30 mins under the best circumstances (coming home late at night after rush hour). Usual is 35-40 mins. With bad weather it's easily an hour. I drive out to Edina fairly often for various things from my office. At rush hour that's maybe 20 mins - going out Hwy 55 to 100. So ya, I'd say you'd be spending two hours a day commuting to work. I personally wouldn't want to drive to Edina and it would be quite an adjustment if my current commute was a mile. I'd have to love the job a lot or be unemployed and desperate to make a commute like that.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:56 PM

774 posts, read 726,551 times
I'd say everyone's tolerance level is different to what is "bad traffic" vs. "good traffic". However, as others have mentioned, you're looking at about 10 hours/week sitting in a car, if not more, and you mentioned you don't like sitting in traffic. I spend about 1/2 that driving and that's my threshold. I would rather have the time to spend doing tasks I prefer.

It's hard to say no if you're getting the right offer, but I'd ask what are the things you love about Shoreview and ask if you can't come close living in a location nearer Edina if that's where your new job takes you (and you like the job). Furthermore, ask if it's worth it to stay in Shoreview if you never have time or energy to enjoy living there.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:32 AM

15,735 posts, read 15,873,340 times
Going to be almost an hour each way.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:26 AM

115 posts, read 223,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
I'd say everyone's tolerance level is different to what is "bad traffic" vs. "good traffic". However, as others have mentioned, you're looking at about 10 hours/week sitting in a car, if not more, and you mentioned you don't like sitting in traffic. I spend about 1/2 that driving and that's my threshold. I would rather have the time to spend doing tasks I prefer.

It's hard to say no if you're getting the right offer, but I'd ask what are the things you love about Shoreview and ask if you can't come close living in a location nearer Edina if that's where your new job takes you (and you like the job). Furthermore, ask if it's worth it to stay in Shoreview if you never have time or energy to enjoy living there.
The pay increase is so large that it's tempting (we're talking about a 12k per year pay increase)... but I believe I am ultimately going to tell them no.

What keeps me in Shoreview is I like my living situation, I like that the area is a little more spread out with wilderness abound and how I can be a mile from work and 694, and a just a few miles away from the country and farms -- something you simply can't find in Edina. My friends all live here, and my parents live nearby in North Oaks.

And more importantly, after years of involvement at my church, I was elected to a 3 year term on a leadership council. I judge for a local high school speech team -- my old speech team. I really don't want to give either up. Speech Communication and church/community/charitable involvement are passions of mine and I am so familiar with the crowd here that I really don't think it's worth it to uproot my entire life to move to Edina and re-establish myself (I'd want to move further away if that was the case!). Edina is enough away where Shoreview isn't convenient, close enough where I'd feel silly moving and unhappy making so many drastic changes.

I hope I'll be able to find something else up in this area. I'd like to stay in Ramsey County if possible -- or at least no further south than either downtown St Paul or Mpls.

It just seems like there are far more jobs to be found in the Southern suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul