Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2011, 04:57 PM

765 posts, read 2,128,463 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm leaving to go home on Amtrak for 2 weeks. If I parked my car there at the station in St. Paul, do you think it would be safe? I left my car there for this length of time once before and it was fine, but that was an old junker, and now I have a newer car. If not, is there a long term parking lot where I can leave it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 04:31 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,673,286 times
What's Amtrak's policy? I'd be more worried about Amtrak having it towed away for violating their overnight/long-term parking policies than anything else. Call the station to be sure.

Once you clarify all that with Amtrak, just leave the interior clean with nothing attractive in sight (best to leave it as empty as possible, just in case), and you should have nothing to worry about. Unless you have a rare or "desirable" car (like an Integra GSR), nobody will try to steal the car itself, but broken windows are universal to beaters and BMWs alike, if you leave something valuable in sight. I'm sure they have security guards who work at the station, and they would certainly patrol the parking lots and call police on any suspicious people lurking around.

In short though, don't ask us, ask Amtrak.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:07 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,656,542 times
Two weeks seems like a long time to store a car for free. I'd guess that, after a few days, Amtrak employees will wonder if there are any bodies in the trunk...

Old 03-07-2011, 09:46 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
Recalled checking into the parking situation sometime ago and I believe that you can park in their lot for free and that the lot is "regularly" patrolled by security staff. Lot probably holds 60 to 70 cars and it's not as if it is unoccupied. Probably wouldn't leave anything of value in my car but I wouldn't worry about leaving it for a couple weeks. You might find out more specific info on Yelp about the station and it's nuances.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:54 AM

8 posts, read 38,125 times
My father takes Amtrack from St. Paul sometimes a couple of times per year and leaves his truck there. Leaving it there a couple of weeks is a timeframe he would do. His truck isn't brand new, but I wouldn't say it's rotten.

Maybe ask Amtrack if watch the parking lot; even if they do it's no guarantee though. As with leaving your car anywhere, not having valuables (new electronics, etc) in it decreases the chance your car will be broken into.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:09 AM

370 posts, read 903,108 times
Go to the desk and ask them for a pass to put on the dash, they're good for a month and there is no fee. You'll need to park in the fenced area.

I parked my pickup truck there every other week (usually for 5-6 days, sometimes for up 10 days) for over a year and had no problems. LOL, I left my driver's side window down once for the whole time I was gone and the only problem I had was a damp drive home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul