U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-24-2011, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Cleveland bound with MPLS in the rear-view
5,531 posts, read 5,967,721 times
Reputation: 2225

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon_toast View Post
I used to be one of those "it's not that bad" people. After moving to TX, I realized all those "fun" winter activities were really not that fun, I just pretended they were. My DH, who has lived in MN his entire life, looked at me in February with a smile and said -- when you can have winters like this, who would choose to live in MN?
......when you can have summers like this, who would choose to live in TX?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-24-2011, 01:46 PM
 
910 posts, read 1,201,956 times
Reputation: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon_toast View Post
I used to be one of those "it's not that bad" people. After moving to TX, I realized all those "fun" winter activities were really not that fun, I just pretended they were. My DH, who has lived in MN his entire life, looked at me in February with a smile and said -- when you can have winters like this, who would choose to live in MN?
This is it! "Fun activities" in winter, really aren't that fun. They mostly consist of sitting on a frozen lake, ski lodge, or hunting shack, waiting...

While Texas is warm and humid in the summer, it seems much better to me than winters in Minnesota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 02:08 PM
 
1,038 posts, read 1,106,261 times
Reputation: 469
To each their own! I truly love cross-country skiing...its cold when you start up, but pretty soon the blood is flowing you you are pulling off layers as you zip along the snow sparkling under the bright snow. Just started a few years ago, and its made me look forward to winter that much more.

I have no use for temperatures and humidity over 95. My wife is even worse...she pretty much melts into a puddle as soon as it crosses 85 degrees, but lights up at the first sign of snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 02:18 PM
 
Location: MN
3,738 posts, read 4,986,849 times
Reputation: 1629
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
This is it! "Fun activities" in winter, really aren't that fun. They mostly consist of sitting on a frozen lake, ski lodge, or hunting shack, waiting...

While Texas is warm and humid in the summer, it seems much better to me than winters in Minnesota.

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean that everyone else shouldn't.
I know people who live for Ice Fishing. To me it's not very fun, but I'm not going to chastise people who like it. And... Not many people "sit on a hunting shack" in the winter.

I like CC skiing. That's a blast. Snowboarding and skiing is great too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 02:19 PM
 
440 posts, read 301,843 times
Reputation: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Extremes are what I find to be "bad", and below 15 degrees or above 95 is "extreme" to me, and in Minnesota it's below 15 roughly 30-45 days, and above 95 maybe 5 days. In Houston it's above 95 100+ days. So how "bad" is the weather here, truly?
But you are looking at daily "highs" for measuring both "above 95" and "below 15." There may be only 40 days in Minnesota where the high is not above 15 (don't know if that's accurate--just accepting your numbers), but if you are going to say Houston is miserable because it gets above 95 for 100+ days, then you have to look at how many days Minneapolis gets below 15, not how many days Minnesota "doesn't get above 15." The equivalent would be saying that there are zero days where Houston doesn't dip below 95.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN
333 posts, read 384,635 times
Reputation: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
......when you can have summers like this, who would choose to live in TX?
Most people, apparently.

Map: Where Americans Are Moving - Forbes.com

Map: Where Americans Are Moving - Forbes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 02:41 PM
 
1,038 posts, read 1,106,261 times
Reputation: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMagurt View Post

That is a very cool map, fun to play with!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Cleveland bound with MPLS in the rear-view
5,531 posts, read 5,967,721 times
Reputation: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
But you are looking at daily "highs" for measuring both "above 95" and "below 15." There may be only 40 days in Minnesota where the high is not above 15 (don't know if that's accurate--just accepting your numbers), but if you are going to say Houston is miserable because it gets above 95 for 100+ days, then you have to look at how many days Minneapolis gets below 15, not how many days Minnesota "doesn't get above 15." The equivalent would be saying that there are zero days where Houston doesn't dip below 95.
I see what you're saying, then: below (5, not 15) for a LOW and above 95 for a HIGH. I like to use high temps though because they occur during the daytime hours and especially the hours of the day when I'm most likely to be outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Cleveland bound with MPLS in the rear-view
5,531 posts, read 5,967,721 times
Reputation: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMagurt View Post
It's just pointing out that argument can be spun both ways. While in fact there is not a majority of people who prefer Texas OR Minnesota, but yes, Texas is much more popular (right now).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 05:05 PM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
5,992 posts, read 7,105,856 times
Reputation: 2941
A lot of people like warm to hot weather. It's just personal preference. I prefer four distinct seasons, snowy winters and cool falls, but some people like wearing shorts in January. To each is own.

Plus, parts of Texas get quite cold. Snow is not uncommon in the Amarillo / Panhandle area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top