U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-09-2011, 11:24 AM

910 posts, read 1,079,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
30 and snowy is winter to me too, but in March and April it can be 30 and snowy or 80 and sunny.....so I call that Spring.
If it hits 80/sunny in March, I'll go away forever. Unfortionately, I think you have another 4 - 6 weeks to go before you hit temps in the 80s.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 11:36 AM

3,738 posts, read 4,594,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
Yeah, when it was close to 80 degrees late last March and I was being eaten alive by bugs I was thinking, when will this winter end?
I remember lying on the beach on the shores of Lake Superior and got sunburnt on March 28th last year. I guess it was winter though...

Old 03-09-2011, 11:50 AM

440 posts, read 273,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
I remember lying on the beach on the shores of Lake Superior and got sunburnt on March 28th last year. I guess it was winter though...
Dude, the RECORD HIGH (ever!) in Minneapolis in March is 83. The average high is 40.

I'm just trying to inject some perspective. Some of you Minnesotans apparently don't realize that an average high of 40 is winter weather to most of America. Just because it got above 80 once at the end of March does not mean that March in Minnesota is some sunny wonderland.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
You can get sunburnt in the winter.

According to last year's weather in Minneapolis, it was a high of 52 degrees and a low of 33 degrees on March 28th. Must have been chilly on the shores...

Also, last year wasn't typical. Mpls didn't have snowfall in March, which set a record.

Lastly, I remember in mid-April being at Target field, wearing gloves and a winter hat because it was in the upper 30s... in mid-April!

Old 03-09-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
Dude, the RECORD HIGH (ever!) in Minneapolis in March is 83. The average high is 40.

I'm just trying to inject some perspective. Some of you Minnesotans apparently don't realize that an average high of 40 is winter weather to most of America. Just because it got above 80 once at the end of March does not mean that March in Minnesota is some sunny wonderland.
+1!

Southernsmoke - you're my new best friend! That is all I was trying to say.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post

...and...

who's arguing that?

Some of you southerners apparently don't realize there is a thing called weather acclimation, and after 3 months of cold cold temps, 40 feels great.

Just because the average high is 40 doesn't mean that March in Minnesota is some frozen 'tundra' like your pal alluded to.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
...and...

who's arguing that?

Some of you southerners apparently don't realize there is a thing called weather acclimation, and after 3 months of cold cold temps, 40 feels great.

Just because the average high is 40 doesn't mean that March in Minnesota is some frozen 'tundra' like your pal alluded to.
Hey, "frozen tundra" was obviously an exaggeration. I know a lot of people who live in MN who call it a frozen trundra - just because it's one of the coldest spots in the country.

knke - you take a lot of things too seriously. Just chill man. If you enjoy the climate up there, than live it up.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:44 PM

440 posts, read 273,598 times
Quote:
...and...

who's arguing that?

Haha hold up a second. I never mentioned "tundra," and I don't intend to let it be attributed to me in any way, shape, or form. I know how weather acclimation works--I have lived in the Midwest, and even down south, we get weather acclimation. I didn't say 40 was tundra, just that March temps in Minneapolis are, on average, colder than the heart of winter where I currently live. Therefore, if March in Minneapolis is not winter, then I have never really experienced winter at all... try telling that to people around here!

Old 03-09-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
You can get sunburnt in the winter.

According to last year's weather in Minneapolis, it was a high of 52 degrees and a low of 33 degrees on March 28th. Must have been chilly on the shores...

Also, last year wasn't typical. Mpls didn't have snowfall in March, which set a record.

Lastly, I remember in mid-April being at Target field, wearing gloves and a winter hat because it was in the upper 30s... in mid-April!
Minneapolis isn't on the shores of Lake Superior, I was in Duluth. It must have been March 31st then, maybe I was confused.

National Weather Service - Climate Data

high of 76... that's for MSP though, it was probably the same in Duluth

Old 03-09-2011, 12:56 PM

1,609 posts, read 2,397,703 times
hey, could be worse you know. Weve had tornadoes twice this year already.
Louisiana and Mississippi have been hit hard and its only early March.

Also, the humid cold down here is a lot different. you really cant "acclimate" to it. Its bone-chilling cold that seeps through all layers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul