Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 06:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,038 times

Advertisements

Well I moved to Minnesota from Houston, TX in May, 2013, and I have to say that the commute from 35W southbound, to 694 westbound, to 100 southbound into St. Louis Park (and the reverse during the PM commute) is absolutely the worst commute I've ever had. I used to think Houston's traffic was awful, but this route is, ultimately, the worst. Even when there's not snow or ice on the highway, it's still 2 to 5 miles an hour, stop and go, the whole way once I get onto 694. It takes me sometimes over an hour just to go that last 15 miles into work. I don't understand why it's that bad, but because of that, I am moving to another part of town just to be closer to the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 11:29 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,476,786 times
MNDOT has realtime traffic maps. You could pick out your route and look at those maps at the time of day when you'd travel. To me, working in Rosemount and living in downtown spells HUGE gas bills!

Mn/DOT Traveler Information

Old 02-27-2014, 04:32 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
MNDOT has realtime traffic maps. You could pick out your route and look at those maps at the time of day when you'd travel. To me, working in Rosemount and living in downtown spells HUGE gas bills!

Mn/DOT Traveler Information
Not really....you use more gas sitting in a gridlock or putzing along at 20 mph stopping at every intersection for 30 minutes then you do driving at a steady 60-70 mph for 30 minutes....or you just take the bus....

Old 02-27-2014, 12:27 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Not really....you use more gas sitting in a gridlock or putzing along at 20 mph stopping at every intersection for 30 minutes then you do driving at a steady 60-70 mph for 30 minutes....or you just take the bus....
If you're putzing on city streets for 30+ minutes, you either live in an incredibly inconvenient location or you aren't smart enough to use the highways. Living in the city does not mean all slow streets and no highway cruising.

That said, I'd rather deal with Hennepin Avenue at rush hour over 494 at the same time any day of the week, especially with the retimed lights.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:03 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,476,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
With the damage done to Minnesota roads, you can pretty much count on gridlock. But how do you "just take the bus" to Rosemount? Me, I'd totally live near Rosemount. I'd never reverse commute. To me, living downtown PLUS commuting is sucking too much from my income. And if you lived 5 miles from Rosemount, I'll bet all the costs would be way lower. Downtown Minneapolis is WAY overhyped as a "happening place". Can't believe it has gained such a reputation. The Downtown Council is brewing some really toxic Koolaid these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul