Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 02:25 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,423,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Those are good points. I don't think by any means that all young people will choose or want to live in or near the city, but the trend is towards a larger percentage of people in those demographics choosing that lifestyle than in years past. And as certain suburbs become less desirable or are unable to keep up the times they will become cheaper, and that will appeal to larger families who will prioritize space. I think the northern suburbs could really benefit from the Northstar line; a light rail or commuter line connection is a real asset. It's those suburbs who can really create a full package -- "urban" in some ways, even if not in the city, are presumably going to the ones most likely to thrive in a changing world. I think people will continue to place less value in official municipal boundaries and more on location and whether or not the specific neighborhood works for them. It's just that I think the McMansion subdivision suburbs are holding less and less appeal for younger people (as a generalization), or at least people will be looking at other issues besides square footage and acreage when they compile their priority list, especially as gas prices go up and commute times worsen. But yes, you're right -- people are generally going to get more space for their money way out in the exurbs, and that will always appeal to some people, regardless of their age.

I certainly don't disagree with anything you say here. I said the commuter line wouldn't make or break our choice to live out in the suburbs; however, it is making a difference in which suburbs we are looking. Similarly, we are more interested in suburbs that have a bit of the small-town downtown feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 02:44 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Brooklyn Park isn't going to do it unless the 610 extension really brings people in. I think Woodbury will probably hit 100K first. Its location is fantastic and it's not even 50% developed. Maple Grove could be right on its heels, but I think there is less developable land in MG b/c of the lakes, parks, etc. I see no reason why any suburb with 30+ sq. miles can't be well over 100K, considering that's hardly 3000 ppsm density. If trends continue AND demand picks UP some, I'd say Shakopee could reach 100K, and if not, it could have one of the higher densities for an exurb IFF it develops smart.

Nice, I forgot about Shakopee. Shakopee has TONS of open land.

I think that you're right on with Maple Grove too. I think the new census has it up to around 65,000 or so.... There are LARGE amounts of open area in Maple Grove, and if there is another housing boom I could see that happening by 2025 easily.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:51 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,655,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Shakopee has TONS of open land.
... which is mostly under water right now from the MN River floods...

Old 04-06-2011, 03:55 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
This has gotten entertaining since I last looked in.

I'll be a bit of a fence-straddler...while I don't agree with all of golfgal's generalizations, I also think some of you purport a little to strongly to know that all young people today want the city-life. golfgal is right that the suburbs will continue to have appeal to young families and it has nothing to do with status-symbols or trying to look neo-retro (my favorite phrase I've made up today). Its simple finances...if you think you'll have 2-4 kids, and you can buy a 4 bedroom house in a suburb for the same price as a 2 bedroom house in the city, many people will opt for 4 bedroom, especially once you throw in a garage to park both of your cars inside.
I think the main point here is that not that many people are having 3 and 4 kids these days (and don't see a need for space on the level of many homes in the outer suburbs)- of the 30-somethings I know, having more than 2 kids is more of an exception to the norm than "the norm" (and most of our couple friends with kids have just one, but we're in our very early 30s which might skew things a bit).

I don't think anyone's saying that outer suburbs are going to die off, or rapidly turn to areas considered widely undesirable, only that the trend of massive growth in all suburban areas has already hit its peak and is coming downwards, or to a halt, and is likely going to trend that way for some time. I did appreciate your thoughtful analysis posted just after your above post, though, and would have repped if I could.

GG- can you quote an population estimate for outer-tier suburbs only? I mean, that is what we have been arguing about, so your 4.5M figure is way inflated. Also, regarding the "door-to-door" transit in Rosemount- can you tell us what it says on the sides of these vans/buses the next time you see them as I'd be curious to find out? I can concur with Uptown that the "dial-a-ride" and other similar programs have experienced some big funding losses (and have always been on a VERY limited basis and availability)- what used to be "Dial-A-Ride" is now being called "Transit-Link" (some info can be found here), although I really think the website greatly overstates what services they actually have resources to provide in most suburban areas based on my experiences with them in the past (which were, 'sorry, we can't provide ANY service to you'). Although it's possible Transit-Link was the recipient of a big stimulus grant or something that upped their service, you might also be seeing Metro Mobility vans (for people with disabilities), or possibly a van from a nonprofit that serves senior citizens?

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 04-06-2011 at 04:03 PM..

Old 04-06-2011, 05:08 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
As to the point about suburbs with a small-town feel, particularly those with commuter rail: I think that very much goes along with the broader Gen X/Gen Y preference trends. I've lived in a suburb like that -- it felt like a slightly bigger Linden Hills, but with a light rail station right in the center. It was wonderful. It was also very popular, and I'm sure will continue to retain its appeal in the future. I think the Twin Cities suburbs that have downtowns (or potential) should be working to build on them, and to make them true centers of the community. Throw in a stop on a commuter line and it's probably a recipe for success. Those areas still may be "suburban," but the form itself is still more "urban", and that's what more and more young people are looking for in a community. (and "urban" doesn't mean Midtown Manhattan; small towns with active downtowns are equally "urban" in form.)

Old 04-06-2011, 05:45 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
... which is mostly under water right now from the MN River floods...
Nobody develops on the flood plain anymore. Shakopee is less than 33% developed and the population is still around 35K-40K, so it can happen if they wanted Shakopee to be a "smarter" suburb/exurb.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:52 AM

160 posts, read 454,541 times
Wink 2011 Hispanic Census in the Twin Cities (MN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
The 2010 Census results for Minnesota are here.

Population: 5,303,925

I like well-rounded numbers like that.

Race

White: 85.3% (Non-Hispanic Whites: 83.1%)

Black or African American: 5.2%

American Indian and Alaska Native: 1.1%

Asian: 4.0%

Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander: 0.0% (They only number a few thousand, so their population isn't big enough to represent even one-tenth of one percent of the population.)

Some Other Race: 1.9% (There are exactly 103,000 of them! Well-rounded numbers FTW!)

Two or More Races: 2.4%

Hispanic or Latino (of any race): 4.7%

Housing

Total Housing Units: 2,347,201

Occupancy

Occupied Housing Units: 88.9%

Vacant Housing Units: 11.1%

More details are in the source.

Discuss!
May I get an update on the 2011 Census of hispanic population in the Twin Cities (MN)? I just started working a brand new job and this would be very valuable to know. I'm promoting a spanish radio station. Please help!
signed......una gringa!

Old 06-11-2011, 07:54 AM

160 posts, read 454,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llratke View Post
May I get an update on the 2011 Census of hispanic population in the Twin Cities (MN)? I just started working a brand new job and this would be very valuable to know. I'm promoting a spanish radio station. Please help!
signed......una gringa!

Update, I know we're in the middle of 2011 so you may not be able to fulfill my request. I'm not looking for a percentage but the most accurate number. I'm guessing about 212,000?

Old 06-11-2011, 08:33 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
What about reaching out to a leader in the Hispanic community? These organizations always seem to know the TRUE figures. E.g. Somali leaders always state that the population in MN is 2 or 3 times what is stated.....I don't know why...

Old 06-11-2011, 08:48 AM

687 posts, read 1,255,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
Public Transportation: I'm looking forward to using the Northstar line to get to work. It will probably take a bit longer to get to work, but it should be cheaper per day than driving and we shouldn't need to buy a second car. At the end of the day, though, I think we'd still be looking at the same place even if I had to drive in.
Not sure if this is too late for you, but you might look at the express buses also. From about Coon Rapids south, the buses are more frequent, faster, and cheaper than the Northstar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul