U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-18-2011, 08:23 AM
 
10,630 posts, read 23,824,092 times
Reputation: 6710

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Northsider View Post
Camden, also when people say "the reason Brookdale failed was because of limited stores, outdated, 1 level, Arbor Lakes, etc..." and also D/T minneapolis, i.e. Block E failing,,, "Just doesn't have the right kind of shops/places" is really code for ???????????????????
I think there's a lot of truth to the fact that many people do say "LOCATION X isn't very nice" means "lots of minorities live there," although I don't think it's universally true; I also don't think it's accurate in the case of downtown Minneapolis (can't speak to the other places, as I don't do my shopping out there). I think it's tough to look at a place like Block E and call it successful by any measurement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-18-2011, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Home in NOMI
1,635 posts, read 2,215,422 times
Reputation: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Or it could be "code" for crime is increasing ...
Which itself is code for "I don't know (or care to update my prejudices on) what I'm talking about".

GG, the crime statistics I've seen displayed here and elsewhere show the crime levels in Minneapolis on a continuing decrease since the 1990's. Where is your evidence to the contrary?

Of course you may prefer to live in a pretty little town like St. Joseph, where crime supposedly doesn't exist; where people don't need to lock their doors; where nobody ever gets kidnapped and murdered by strangers, and appear on the sides of milk cartons forever afterwards ... but crime happens there too, to everybody's dismay. (I met Patty Wetterling the other day, so am rather sensitive on this subject.)

Last edited by audadvnc; 03-18-2011 at 09:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2011, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Cleveland bound with MPLS in the rear-view
5,530 posts, read 10,357,714 times
Reputation: 2400
Using American Fact Finder, wouldn't you take out the Hispanic population from the "white" population to find the total white/non-hispanic count? That would make a place like Brooklyn Center 39.5% white/non-hispanic. Since Hispanic can be of any race, but for the purposes of determining diversity, wouldn't that be more accurate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2011, 10:49 AM
 
20,793 posts, read 54,942,669 times
Reputation: 10565
Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
Which itself is code for "I don't know (or care to update my prejudices on) what I'm talking about".

GG, the crime statistics I've seen displayed here and elsewhere show the crime levels in Minneapolis on a continuing decrease since the 1990's. Where is your evidence to the contrary?

Of course you may prefer to live in a pretty little town like St. Joseph, where crime supposedly doesn't exist; where people don't need to lock their doors; where nobody ever gets kidnapped and murdered by strangers, and appear on the sides of milk cartons forever afterwards ... but crime happens there too, to everybody's dismay. (I met Patty Wetterling the other day, so am rather sensitive on this subject.)
The point is--people are jumping to conclusions as to why people are moving from one area to another and often that conclusion is "racial" which I say is NOT true and crime in some areas IS increasing. Some people just don't feel comfortable having to have 6 deadbolts on their door and there is NOTHING wrong with that. You, are fine with that, great, more power to you, I chose NOT to live like that. I will also contend that increased crime has less to do with race and more to do with income status-but I am sure someone will twist my words there too. Also, people were talking about the Brooklyns and Burnsville, not Minneapolis specifically.

Yes, crime happens everywhere, but having do deal with it on a daily basis is far different then a random crime that happed once in 30+ years and by all reports, the officials have a good idea who took Jacob-just not proof to that effect. This person is someone known to the family. I went to college in St. Joseph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2011, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Chicago
409 posts, read 1,107,043 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Some people just don't feel comfortable having to have 6 deadbolts on their door and there is NOTHING wrong with that. You, are fine with that, great, more power to you, I chose NOT to live like that.

Yes, crime happens everywhere, but having do deal with it on a daily basis is far different then a random crime that happed once in 30+ years
golfgal, I completely agree with the above, bu the thing is that there is nowhere in Minnesota where people have to deal with crime on a daily basis. Unless you or your family is a criminal, crime just doesn't come to you "on a daily basis" regardless of where you live, at least not in this state.

And six deadbolts? I know we're not supposed to feed the trolls, but you're a moderator. You can't be serious, can you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2011, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Home in NOMI
1,635 posts, read 2,215,422 times
Reputation: 740
I have, between my front and back doors, let's see ... 4 deadbolts and 2 (oops, 3!) standard keyed locks. As GG says, I'm fine with them. So far I haven't seen any break in attempts here.

Crime in MoMi? I pass by occasional drug deals, I don't interfere, I don't even mind as long as they're peaceful about it. City violence happens but I've never seen a violent confrontation here. As for that truly awful random crime that can happen anywhere, once in a generation? It's no big deal, unless you're the victim's family. Assuming you're safe because you've escaped the city is foolishness.

Last edited by audadvnc; 03-18-2011 at 11:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2011, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
7,472 posts, read 13,126,811 times
Reputation: 3436
Yeah, six deadbolts and dealing with abduction-type crimes on a daily basis? Are we talking about the favelas in Rio De Janeiro or Ciudad Juarez in Mexico? Where is this place you're referring to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2011, 11:23 AM
 
20,793 posts, read 54,942,669 times
Reputation: 10565
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPerpKazoo View Post
golfgal, I completely agree with the above, bu the thing is that there is nowhere in Minnesota where people have to deal with crime on a daily basis. Unless you or your family is a criminal, crime just doesn't come to you "on a daily basis" regardless of where you live, at least not in this state.

And six deadbolts? I know we're not supposed to feed the trolls, but you're a moderator. You can't be serious, can you?
See below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
I have, between my front and back doors, let's see ... 4 deadbolts and 2 standard keyed locks. As GG says, I'm fine with them. So far I haven't seen any break in attempts here.

Crime in MoMi? I pass by occasional drug deals, I don't interfere, I don't even mind as long as they're peaceful about it. City violence happens but I've never seen a violent confrontation here. As for that truly awful random crime that can happen anywhere, once in a generation? It's no big deal, unless you're the victim's family. Assuming you're safe because you've escaped the city is foolishness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2011, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Chicago
409 posts, read 1,107,043 times
Reputation: 262
You say "door" not "doors". There is no reason to have six deadbolts on the door of a home in Minnesota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2011, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Home in NOMI
1,635 posts, read 2,215,422 times
Reputation: 740
Quote:
...6 deadbolts on their door...
Both my front and back entrances are porches. So yes, I have 4 doors in front (storm, main, inside porch and breezeway/foyer) and 3 doors in back. Between those 7 doors I have 7 locks (unless you count the storm door locks which I never use - that's 9!!! talk about paranoia ). But it's nice to have porches!

Last edited by audadvnc; 03-18-2011 at 11:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:29 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top