Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 07:21 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times

Advertisements

If you need to get all over the state I would consider looking in some areas around St. Cloud. It is pretty much the middle of the state, easy access to major highways, more affordable than the immediate Twin Cities area. We have friends that live in Albany and LOVE it there. For such a small town there is quite a bit to do and the schools are very good. There are a lot of professors from local colleges that live in that district, which helps. It is a town where you will know everyone, it's right of 94 which pretty much will take you right to Lake St. when you need to go.

St. Joseph would be another town I would consider but it is somewhat more expensive than Albany.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 11:13 PM

5 posts, read 8,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Do you have favorite suburbs in the various cities you've lived in? That might help people get a feel for what you're looking for; I'm familiar with the DC area (lived in Virginia and in DC) and some of the Philly area, and I know we have some Chicago locals on here, too. That might be a place to start.

How long of a commute are you willing to take on for your trip to the Minneapolis store? (perhaps both your ideal commute time, plus the absolute maximum, time-wise) That would probably be a good place to start, too, since you'll be doing that one once a week.

In Philly I am thinking of an area like Lansdale/Sellersville/Perkasie. In D.C.- Gaithersburg or Greenbelt. In the Quad Cities- Geneseo or the immediate area as a few examples.

My max commute would be about 90 minutes (to my home store). I am also flexible in the times I can go in. So I wouldn't have to be in there at 9 AM, I could go at 11 or 5 AM if I wanted. Ideally I would like to find something in the 30-45 minute time range.

I was incorrect in my original post. It will be 24 stores in MN. I am also considering a position in WI which is less. Essentially I will be all over the state, with a concentration on the Twin Cities....

Thanks for the help!

Old 03-23-2011, 07:40 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Maybe somewhere like Elk River? That would put you within commuting distance of the main office (although probably not 30-45 minute range, but your budget is very low for closer in; not sure if you can do it in Elk River, but your odds are better out there), still within the outer Twin Cities, it's more rural up that direction (there are horses and stables out that way), and it's pretty affordable for this area. It would also be fairly central so you'd be able to have an easier commute if heading north.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:32 PM

356 posts, read 606,025 times
There are horse stables in Rosemount and Inver Grove Heights.

If your office is on Lake Street (and it depends where), even though you are driving throughout the state, living in a far outer city would be a huge commute - Hugo, Forest Lake, St. Cloud - all very far. It would probably be more prudent to find a nice rental in an inner ring and then find the stables as an after thought by living more centrally.

Your rent budget is low. Very low. I don't think you will find a house for that amount and you won't find it in the type of neighbourhood you desire for your son.

If you are open to townhouses, you may be lucky that way, but even then, I don't think you can get a one bedroom for that price range.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:01 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeneya View Post
In Philly I am thinking of an area like Lansdale/Sellersville/Perkasie. In D.C.- Gaithersburg or Greenbelt. In the Quad Cities- Geneseo or the immediate area as a few examples.

My max commute would be about 90 minutes (to my home store). I am also flexible in the times I can go in. So I wouldn't have to be in there at 9 AM, I could go at 11 or 5 AM if I wanted. Ideally I would like to find something in the 30-45 minute time range.

I was incorrect in my original post. It will be 24 stores in MN. I am also considering a position in WI which is less. Essentially I will be all over the state, with a concentration on the Twin Cities....

Thanks for the help!
Where are your stores? I'd find a place that was on the side of town in the direction you'd be spending most of your time at. If you are serious about riding I'd suggest to be close to your barn. Will you be leasing or eventually boarding your own horse? Are you interested in showing or trail riding? Are you looking for a training facility as well?

Old 03-28-2011, 05:40 PM

5 posts, read 8,182 times
Thank you for all of the suggestions. I truly appreciate the input and will research all of the areas mentioned.

I am serious about riding (AQHA) and showing, so close to my barn would be ideal. I trained professionally for years, so wouldn't need a "trainer", but a facility with at least an indoor would be ideal. I will be boarding my 3 show horses when I move.

It looks as if I would be getting the WI District, so chances are good I won't be going to MN. Things are still up in the air, though.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul