Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 09:48 AM

6 posts, read 10,412 times

Advertisements

Hi All! My family and I are considering a move to the Twin Cities from Omaha and I've been reading all the great information on this blog and I have not seen any discussions about the new neighborhoods in the Metro area.

Does anyone have any insight on new construction neighborhoods that are in the southwest area? I keep hearing that school district 196 is really good. ?? That will most likely be the closest to my husband's office so I'm leaning in that direction. We really like the older homes around the lakes but they are very pricey and with older homes comes more repairs so I'm thinking the newer the better. I just don't want a house that is so close to my next door neighbor that I can see what they are eating for dinner.

I'm open to any area of Minneapolis with good public schools and new homes.

Thank you very much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 09:58 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
Just to clarify, when you say "any area of Minneapolis," do you mean within the city itself, or anywhere in the metro area?

Assuming you want newer construction near ISD 196/194, Lakeville and south apple valley are good places to start. Lakeville has lake Marion which is a decent sized lake that is surprisingly not overdeveloped

Old 06-07-2011, 10:08 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
The Evermoor development in Rosemount. There are several phases of this development. You can find homes ranging from $300-1,000,000 or so around this area. Many of them are built within the Craftsman style so that is nice.

Cobblestone in Apple Valley is an option but the houses are about 5 feet apart, no yards, similar style of homes to Evermoor, similar pricing.

There are also several newer developments north of Rosemount that are in the 196 schools but are in Inver Grove Heights and Eagan (although Eagan is 196 too). These are around the Red Pine Elementary school (off Red Pine Rd and Highway 3) or off Cliff Ave and Highway 3.

What is your price range??

Old 06-07-2011, 10:13 AM

Wow you are fast! Love it! :-)

Yes, anywhere in the Metro is fine for me, thought I've only visited the southwest area, but I am open to any areas that are nice and good for families.

Budget is $400 - $500k. I'll look into Evermoor, sounds great! Thanks so much!!!

Old 06-07-2011, 10:15 AM

Oh and I forgot to ask, are property taxes as high as I've heard? I know it's relative to the cost, but I've lived in Florida where the taxes aren't so bad and Omaha is AWFUL!!

And are there personal property taxes that you pay on your car every year? It costs me $600 to renew my tag here on a 2010 Ford F150. In Florida it would be $40. Not that I would change my mind, just curious. Thanks again!

Old 06-07-2011, 10:57 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkersmom View Post
Oh and I forgot to ask, are property taxes as high as I've heard? I know it's relative to the cost, but I've lived in Florida where the taxes aren't so bad and Omaha is AWFUL!!

And are there personal property taxes that you pay on your car every year? It costs me $600 to renew my tag here on a 2010 Ford F150. In Florida it would be $40. Not that I would change my mind, just curious. Thanks again!
No personal property tax here. MN is one of the higher taxed states in the Nation, but then again, you get great schools and services for that. Without knowing what your current property taxes are it's hard to say if they are high or not but a $400K-500K home is going to run about 1% of the home value-so $4000-5000/annually, approximately. It will vary from town to town.

In your price range you should easily be able to find something in the 196 schools.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:10 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
Chadwick farms in lakeville is also a good choice. It's close to lake Marion and I35, and it's got a brand new high school and ISD 194 schools

Old 06-07-2011, 01:44 PM

459 posts, read 2,227,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkersmom View Post

Property taxes (when considered as a percentage of market value) in Minneapolis area are going to be significantly lower than what you are paying in Omaha. Someone already estimated 1% for property taxes in Minneapolis area (probably a good estimate) - In Omaha, you are paying well over 2%.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:26 AM

Default Tax issue

That's great news!!! Omaha is over 2%. 1% I can handle. Yippee!!!

Have a great day!!!

Old 06-10-2011, 11:19 AM

356 posts, read 605,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
No personal property tax here. MN is one of the higher taxed states in the Nation, but then again, you get great schools and services for that. Without knowing what your current property taxes are it's hard to say if they are high or not but a $400K-500K home is going to run about 1% of the home value-so $4000-5000/annually, approximately. It will vary from town to town.

In your price range you should easily be able to find something in the 196 schools.
Our property taxes in Rosemount are more than 1% of taxable value. Luckily, our taxable assessement has gone down the last few years and so have our taxes. I think it's closer to 1.5% based on what we have paid.

So, for a house in Evermoor or off of Conamera (is that Evermoor near the water tower?) for a $500K house, you'd be looking at about $6-7K at least for property taxes. I just so happen to be seeing a friend of mine tonight who lives there. I will ask him and report back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul