Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 04:59 PM

268 posts, read 390,700 times

Advertisements

Minnisota has a high economic ranking compared to much of the rest of the country. I hear the lakes are beautiful.
I’m looking for a good place to raise a family. Is there such a place? We moved from the CA. Central Coast to Austin, TX. in 07 because I was impressed with the jobs statistics. The problem is most of the jobs are low paying, part time with no bennies. My wife has a BA with teaching credentials. She makes $9.50 an hour as a teachers aid and will not have a job next year. I am a highly skilled and starving Carpenter. It sucks here! We were just considering S. Dakota which looks nice. Low unemployment BUT. I keep reading how terribly low the wages are.

So…any successful transplant stories to share? What part of Minnesota to look at? We love the out doors. I know the winters would be a big change. The good and bad; Lets hear it. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 06:09 PM

106 posts, read 238,216 times
I was just thinking about why I love it here so much and it comes down to quality of life. You can really make a nice living for yourself and a family here. The education and carpentry fields could be either or here. You both could find jobs or be constantly looking for work. It might depend on a little on luck, at least in the Twin Cities. But for quality life you can't beat it here. IMO.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City eYes View Post
I was just thinking about why I love it here so much and it comes down to quality of life. You can really make a nice living for yourself and a family here. The education and carpentry fields could be either or here. You both could find jobs or be constantly looking for work. It might depend on a little on luck, at least in the Twin Cities. But for quality life you can't beat it here. IMO.

I suppose you could say that about any place. It sounds like TC has a lot going for it. I’m not sure how well I would adjust to the winters there. It sounds even more extreme than S.D. Although I have an aunt who moved to Minnesota from S. CA. and is doing well. I would have to store my beloved Harley Davidson for half the year. Its not about me though; Its about what is best for my family. I am more than willing to trade warm weather for a decent job at this point.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:26 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,359,579 times
The winters here aren't really that bad. The hardcore cold weather months are December, January and February. You'll get some nice days in November, March and April. It's consistently warm from May -- October.

Besides the Twin Cities, Minnesota also has Rochester, Moorhead, Mankato, St. Cloud and Marshall. All are smaller cities with pretty good job markets, so consider these places instead of Minneapolis-St. Paul if you don't like city living.

Duluth is a really nice small city on Lake Superior, but the job market is pretty poor right now and the winters are a lot more severe than in the southern half of the state.

Another area to look at is Rock County in the far southwestern corner of the state. It's basically an exurb of Sioux Falls, SD, and you'd be able to buy a nice, newer house for cheap in a small town like Luverne or Beaver Creek; and have like a 20-30 minute drive to work in Sioux Falls. There's a lot of suburban-style development going up in Luverne, and the town is offering incentives for people to buy there (as of April 2011). Beaver Creek is a really small town, but it's closer to Sioux Falls. Of course, if you choose to live in that area, you'd have to deal with South Dakota's low wages, so I'd consider Rock County as a last option. You could also drive to Worthington, MN for work, which is about 30 minutes east of Luverne, but most jobs in Worthington are low-wage, entry-level type positions.

Last edited by northstar22; 04-10-2011 at 07:37 PM..

Old 04-10-2011, 07:35 PM

Here are some websites on the cities I mentioned in my first post:

Luverne, Minnesota
Rock County
City of Marshall, MN - Welcome to Marshall, Minnesota
Official City of St. Cloud Web Site (http://www.ci.stcloud.mn.us/Default.aspx - broken link)
City of Rochester, Minnesota : Welcome
City of Moorhead
The City of Mankato, Minnesota

Here are some job postings in those areas:
Sioux Falls Jobs
Monster Jobs » The Free Press, Mankato, MN
Jobs, Employment in Saint Cloud, MN | Indeed.com
Postbulletin.com: Rochester, MN
http://www.simplyhired.com/a/local-j...l-Moorhead,+MN

Old 04-10-2011, 07:51 PM

Also, here are some websites for newspapers from the cities I mentioned. No one really reads newspapers for news anymore, but these should help you get a little bit of the feel for the cities:

Home - Rock County Star-Herald.com
MarshallIndependent.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community Info. - Marshall Independent
Homepage » The Free Press, Mankato, MN
Fargo Moorhead news, sports and weather | INFORUM | Fargo, ND
St. Cloud TIMES | Saint Cloud news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Saint Cloud, Minnesota | sctimes.com
PostBulletin.com: Rochester, MN

And here's the papers for the Twin Cities area -- there are two:
StarTribune.com: News, weather, sports from Minneapolis, St. Paul and Minnesota
Home: St. Paul Pioneer Press - TwinCities.com

Old 04-10-2011, 07:57 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,827,304 times
As far as income paying jobs and high-skilled demand, that's all GRAVY here. This would be the place to go if you want a CAREER, not just a job. 20 Fortune 500 companies and TONS of analyst, accounting, marketing, underwriting, etc. etc. etc. jobs for all levels. If you want a career job, this is a great place for that.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
As far as income paying jobs and high-skilled demand, that's all GRAVY here. This would be the place to go if you want a CAREER, not just a job. 20 Fortune 500 companies and TONS of analyst, accounting, marketing, underwriting, etc. etc. etc. jobs for all levels. If you want a career job, this is a great place for that.
Well, where do all of these "Career people" put all of their things? The fruits of their labor. They must need houses? Cabinets to store their things right? Someone has to get their hands dirty. That is where people like me come in. You see, the "Career people" need us "Job" people! They just don’t like to admit it.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:17 PM

5,833 posts, read 7,662,237 times
This place is fabulous! Seriously!

Old 04-10-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
This place is fabulous! Seriously!

Could you expand on that ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul