U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-12-2011, 10:56 PM

1,777 posts, read 3,429,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talktobrent View Post
Wilf must not get much sleep at night because he's probably too busy laughing at the fools we are making of ourselves: Minneapolis is competition to get stadium with Arden Hills? So now we're actually competing to fund a billionaire in his overly lavish, unsustainable business plan? Wake up. Let them leave town if this is the kind of respect they have for their fans and our populace.
Haven't you heard? It's now the public's job to pick up the tab for extremely wealthy owners of private companies. Unlike all of those greedy people living in poverty trying to get on public assistance, large corporate entities are truly deserving of welfare benefits from the public, because hey, those corporate welfare benefits might potentially trickle down to job creation! A couple of good rules of thumb: if the public/corporate welfare even remotely sounds like a universal healthcare system (or anything related to basic human needs, etc.), that's wrong!!! And if a wealthy corporation pays workers so little that they have to apply for public benefits (e.g., a stadium worker job!), those workers are irresponsible and trying to take advantage of the system!!! Just think of it as "the corporation is always right" (and deserving of more rights than human beings) when it comes to tax dollars....

I did wonder if the whole Arden Hills proposal was just a rouse to try and get the core cities to want to compete in shelling out increasing amounts of cash/taxpayer dollars. I think it's perfectly OK for govt entities to 'partner' on endeavors like building of new stadiums, and provide some subsidies, but I agree that forking over hundreds of millions in upfront cash, especially in this economy, is pretty outrageous. If tax $ are going to fund a stadium, however, I stick by my previous argument that not locating it in a core city is wrong, off-base, and completely frivolous.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 07:56 AM

1,635 posts, read 827,691 times
Sounds like CN just woke up from viewing that Ayn Rand movie... As somebody mentioned on another thread, the pendulum of history has swung way over in favor of the fat cats - this week. Come back in 10 years, and the situation may be quite different. Heads on spikes, anyone?

Old 05-13-2011, 08:27 AM

9,942 posts, read 7,654,920 times
So this...

Stadium deal still needs the state

1.057B (excluding road work of $80 - 250 mil depending on who's telling this story).

completed June 2015

$407M - 38.5% - Vikings
$350M - 33.1% - Ramsey Co
$300M - 28.4% - State

"Publicly" owned and overseen by 5 member Stadium Authority appointed by the Governor, Ramsey Co and Arden Hills.

Stadium Authority has the right to charge seat license fees to offset public costs. Not sure if the 150 suites are part of this or included in the 65,000 capacity figure but at $2,000/seat, this would result in $130M or 20% of the County/State expenditure.

Vikings run day to day operations and pay operating expenses as well as security, traffic control and fire protection. Vikings retain stadium signage and parking revenues.

Vikings keep naming rights, certainly not likely to approach the $23M annual fee reported for LA's Farmers Field agreement but the following recent reported fees from the following cities...
$7M - Carolina
$6.7M - Denver
$3M - Pittsburgh
$2.65M - St Louis
$1M - Detroit

Vikings keep first $41M of any construction savings with anything after that split 50/50 with the County.

I believe the county has said they are willing to bond (loan) $100M of the road work, which presumably they need the state to service the interest on.

I anticipate the Vikings proposing to build a "roof ready" design in order for them to take on the needed infrastructure costs.

Last edited by Ghengis; 05-13-2011 at 09:06 AM..

Old 05-15-2011, 01:57 PM

260 posts, read 228,778 times
I can see the desire to keep the stadium in Minneapolis just for the other events that it would hold when the Metrodome is torn down. But couldn't most of these events be held in the Convention Center, buildings at the State Fair, or River Center? The Metrodome is too big for most of these extra events anyway. The tractor pulls and monster truck shows can stay in the new Vikes stadium. But the other events that require a more central location can go into any number of new places. Heck, open up the Armory again for events.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:24 AM

Fairmont moron senator can't seem to find her butt with two hands to pull her head out.

"I don't know right now," Rosen said. "Do you put two bills in, or do you just put one bill? I don't know. That's what we're trying to figure out."

Minneapolis stadium might be back in the mix, legislator says - TwinCities.com

Appears Minneapolis-centric legislature will continue to angle for the dome site.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:15 AM

A Bill has been introduced to fund the Vikings and Saints stadiums (undesignated locations) with Racino profits at Canterbury and Running Aces.

Bill ties racino to Vikings stadium | StarTribune.com

Old 05-20-2011, 09:33 AM

1,669 posts, read 3,747,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Honestly, I think the public's reception to Arden Hills is primarily the ability to tailgate, so if that's the case just make tailgating easier downtown!
All attempts at that so far have been failures. I believe tailgating had to be stopped at one "tailgating approved" lot downtown because of the nearby condo owners complaining.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:39 PM

11,500 posts, read 6,675,301 times
Too many stadium threads

Old 05-19-2012, 09:08 PM

5,148 posts, read 2,834,795 times
Arden Hills wasn't a ruse. But it made way too much sense to ever have a chance in this legislature. We always could count on them approving one of the stupidest suggestions. "It's what they do".

Old 05-20-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Too many stadium threads
so why did you reopen one that was a year old and set to die anyways?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul