Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 07:29 PM

157 posts, read 714,128 times

Advertisements

Major bridge collapse here right at rush hour. 35W Bridge collapsed over the Mississippi River by the University of Minnesota at 6:15 this evening, August 1st. TV here had great coverage, especially Channel 4. Had a zoom lens that got right into the wreckage at the bottom. One truck was set afire. Kids in a schoolbus evacuated ok.

No firm casualty count. People injured.

Workmen were working on the bridge nearer shore.

No terrorism or other sabotage reported at this time. I recall some 15 years ago that the Lake Street bridge across the Mississippi River from Mpls to St. Paul had a partial collapse.

Expect some legal action, obviously.

Nothing at all from the Mpls mayor or the governor. That's odd. Lawyers probably told them to shut up TFN,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 07:35 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,333,855 times
I was so glad to see there is already a thread started.

I have a co-worker who is trying to get a hold of his children who live over there. He's contacted all of them but one at this time.

To the people of Minnesota~just know that your neighbors in South Dakota are thinking about you and praying for you.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:20 PM

987 posts, read 3,804,605 times
Oh crap. It's probably too optimistic to hope that nobody lost any loved ones tonight.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:03 PM

558 posts, read 1,316,442 times
The news channels here in the cities are saying 1 dead but CNN is saying 3 dead. I hope the cities channels are right and they found no more fatalities. This is a truly sad and frightning event for the Twin Cities.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:24 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,342,894 times
Now the mayor says that 6 are dead. Makes you wonder how many other bridges are at risk of collapsing around this country...very very scary indeed.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:24 PM

3,090 posts, read 3,952,225 times
I've been watching the news. I'm so sorry this happened. It could happen in any city that has a bridge like this. Many prayers going out to your city and people from here in Orlando.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:34 PM

157 posts, read 714,128 times
Jamie, etal. One dead is what local news said.

This is a major screwup that WILL be investigated. Running through my mind is that with all the bridges we have and the extremes of temperature, this is the only Miss Bridge to have a mishap in 15 years or more. As I said, the Lake St Mpls to St. Paul bridge buckled at least that long ago.

Next big thing is getting the bridge inspectors on that bugger like STAT, even before the smoke clears. Sabotage comes to my mind right away with the whacky Iraquis destined for more war. Ohmygadzillion$$$$$ just got okay. China wisely wants real cash like now.

This bridge going down just didn't go down "from the heat," baby. And the heat IS on! Shoe-fly-pie and apple pan-dowdy!

Gov Pawlenty finally is coming on via phone. That was at 9pm. I'm been working upstairs since then.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:58 PM

49 posts, read 214,806 times
Death toll over seven with several cars still unsearched, crushed under concrete and under water! FOX news reporting over 50 cars in the river!

Old 08-01-2007, 10:10 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,342,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffs View Post
Death toll over seven with several cars still unsearched, crushed under concrete and under water! FOX news reporting over 50 cars in the river!
Kinda makes me shiver about what it would be like if the Poplar Street Bridge in Downtown St. Louis collapsed into the river...we could be talking about to 100 deaths or more because the river's current is so strong here.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:29 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,333,855 times
We've seen a few pics of it on the internet. The highway that runs underneath a bit of the bridge~did the bridge fall on top of that, too? Also, it appears that a train was traveling underneath it and part of it was crushed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul