Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 08:30 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,768 times

Advertisements

Try Trulia - Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Sold Properties, Apartments for Rent . Not trying to shill for their site, but their map of the neighborhoods/search feature is pretty solid imo. Just type in Mpls and hit search, then the neighborhood map will pop up and you run your cursdor over them to see their names & you can highlight whichever ones you're interested in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 06:23 AM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
These are, I believe, typical NRP projects from the later phases. Early on, I think some money was granted to homeowners for residential improvements but, at least where I live, no NRP money was spent on that in the later years.
There is a non-negotiable requirement that 60% of all NRP funds to a neighborhood had to be spent on housing-related projects/activities/improvements- this could take a number of forms, however, e.g. home improvement loans, staffing, residential development, etc. If your neighborhood wasn't spending money on housing-related activities in recent years, it could have meant that Phase I/II were already spent to the 60% requirement (probably not too likely), the N.O. didn't publicize their housing-related activities well, or they hadn't contracted some of their (likely Phase II) monies for housing projects. Of note, it sounds like the state legislature will be reversing the recent freeze/raid performed by the City Council on remaining/uncontracted NRP funds.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:21 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
There is a non-negotiable requirement that 60% of all NRP funds to a neighborhood had to be spent on housing-related projects/activities/improvements- this could take a number of forms, however, e.g. home improvement loans, staffing, residential development, etc. If your neighborhood wasn't spending money on housing-related activities in recent years, it could have meant that Phase I/II were already spent to the 60% requirement (probably not too likely), the N.O. didn't publicize their housing-related activities well, or they hadn't contracted some of their (likely Phase II) monies for housing projects. Of note, it sounds like the state legislature will be reversing the recent freeze/raid performed by the City Council on remaining/uncontracted NRP funds.
More likely, I wasn't paying attention to the KFNA newsletter. Thanks for the clarification, Camden Northsider.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:45 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Glenfield, it's my impression that Kingfield may be a bit different than many of the other local neighborhoods; not about the percentage of money they have to spend on housing, but on their attention to details like businesses. I could well be wrong or overstating the matter (and I haven't lived there myself), but it's my understanding that Kingfield essentially had a complete overhaul of neighborhood organization members back in the '90s, as the old guard wasn't doing much and was deemed anti-business, or at least anti-new neighborhood-friendly business, and newer residents who wanted things like cafes and neighborhood gathering places got themselves elected, set about creating a real sense of community, and from all appearances, have been extremely successful at doing so. In any case, it sounded like from the start they've been more focused and deliberate when it comes to some of those larger issues (and more business-friendly) than have some of the other southwest/calhoun neighborhoods. Most of that I picked up from the introduction in Jay Walljaspar's neighborhood book (which I haven't read for awhile), but I found it interesting stuff, especially since Kingfield really is, I think, one of the most successful examples of neighborhood organizations in the city. (along with adjacent Lyndale Neighborhood).

To the OP: hope we're not completely confusing you! The ways in which different neighborhoods define themselves, and how they operate, can vary tremendously even within the city.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:05 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
I agree with your impression that the KFNA has really seen the revitalization of its businesses to be a key issue, and they've been very successful at it. Business nodes like 38th and Nicollet were getting kind of dicey and are starting to turn around. There have been some neat projects here like the Wall Dogs murals project and the graphic on those big boxes that control the traffic lights. I'm going to have to get a copy of Jay Walljaspar's neighborhood book. I've never read it. Thanks, U_U!

Old 05-10-2011, 08:17 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I agree with your impression that the KFNA has really seen the revitalization of its businesses to be a key issue, and they've been very successful at it. Business nodes like 38th and Nicollet were getting kind of dicey and are starting to turn around. There have been some neat projects here like the Wall Dogs murals project and the graphic on those big boxes that control the traffic lights. I'm going to have to get a copy of Jay Walljaspar's neighborhood book. I've never read it. Thanks, U_U!
He has a new book out, too, about public commons -- haven't read it yet, but that reminds me that I should get myself a copy soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul