U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 03:19 PM

166 posts, read 319,563 times

Advertisements

Hello my fellow Minneaplitans

Name change to lake Calhoun being considered....what are you thoughts? Why the motion to name change? apparently Calhoun (Vice president from the past) is said to be "proponent of slavery."

I'm black (albeit 1st gen immigrant black)... don't think it's necessary to go through all the trouble to make the change for an insignificant racist from the past.

Your thoughts.....

oh yeah here's the link
Lake Calhoun getting a name change? | kare11.com

ps what's with the weather this spring? it's can't be any crappier that this

Why doesn't Startribune has a section for venting grievances? like Atl constitutional journal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 03:27 PM

10,630 posts, read 21,681,842 times
I saw that. What a dumb idea. Granted, I wouldn't advocate naming a lake after him today, but the lake was named long ago, long before the Civil War, and at a time when, unfortunately, many of our national figures were supportive of slavery (not to mention plenty of other things that would meet with massive disapproval today). This basically one man's pointless quest. It also unearths a can of worms: are we going to go through all of our city's street names and other references to historical figures and vet them to make sure they meet our modern standards? I don't think so, at least I hope not.

They actually debated about changing the name long ago, back in a time when there were still Union vets around who presumably were no fans of John C. Calhoun and his pro-slavery and pro-Confederacy views. It was decided then to leave the name as-is. I think they made the right decision then, and I think it would be stupid to change it now. The name does not in itself suggest that Minneapolis or the parks in any way support the views of Calhoun the man.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:37 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,110,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I saw that. What a dumb idea. Granted, I wouldn't advocate naming a lake after him today, but the lake was named long ago, long before the Civil War, and at a time when, unfortunately, many of our national figures were supportive of slavery (not to mention plenty of other things that would meet with massive disapproval today). This basically one man's pointless quest. It also unearths a can of worms: are we going to go through all of our city's street names and other references to historical figures and vet them to make sure they meet our modern standards? I don't think so, at least I hope not.

They actually debated about changing the name long ago, back in a time when there were still Union vets around who presumably were no fans of John C. Calhoun and his pro-slavery and pro-Confederacy views. It was decided then to leave the name as-is. I think they made the right decision then, and I think it would be stupid to change it now. The name does not in itself suggest that Minneapolis or the parks in any way support the views of Calhoun the man.
You make a worthy point -- the name is well-established. Also, the naming of the lake "Calhoun" did have some relevance -- Secretary of War Calhoun was a key figure in the establishment of Fort Snelling and the surveying of the surrounding area, and the surveyors named a lake after him.

On the other hand, it is a boring name from a minor historical figure. As a comparison, "Denali" is a much more pleasing name for the highest mountain in the United States than "McKinley", at least to me. And a lot of Alaskans seem to agree. That said, the name remains "McKinley".

On the other other hand, that's the highest mountain in all of North America, whereas the lake in question is a comparatively minor lake in Minnesota.

I wonder what is being proposed as an alternate name?

I wonder why this is news? I would guess that someone, somewhere is frequently calling on a state or city or county to rename this or that...

Old 05-20-2011, 04:32 PM

5,531 posts, read 9,232,443 times
Yeah,....keep the name as a reminder of our darker past, but don't change the name. Calhoun to me is synonymous with fun, families, sunshine, and prosperity, not a slave owner from S. Carolina.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:53 PM

5,554 posts, read 11,661,719 times
Even Abraham Lincoln made comments and gave speeches with language that today would be considered racist. My point is I don't think we should start changing established place names, etc. just because things in our past are interpreted as not politically correct today...because we'd end up in an endless and tedious process of evaluating historic information and making determinations based on today's ideologies. I have a similar view on sports team names that some people find offensive, like the NDSU Fighting Sioux or the Washington Bullets. Please, just leave it how it is.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:55 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,740,854 times
I want everything named Jefferson and Washington in the US renamed for the same reason.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:56 AM

481 posts, read 1,551,338 times
I wouldn't mind seeing a name change although as stated above there's a valid context for it being Calhoun (and Southerners did used to vacation there until the Dread Scott case came up) ... once the economy gets back to the point where spending the money on it would be more defensible (or maybe public funds could be raised for it, and if the amount falls short - don't rename and use the money for something real like emergency assistance payments or a free medical clinic).

I don't want it named Humphrey, though, because with our current politics we'd end up having to rename Lake Harriet to Lake Reagan or Lake Pawlenty. How about the original Indian name? Is there another pseudo-Indian name from Longfellow? Or how about undoing the slavery legacy by renaming it Lake Sherman? ;-)

OK, I guess I'm ambivalent, although its always bugged me it was named after that old bugger.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:16 AM
Status: "those denying the robot threat are probably robots too" (set 28 days ago)

18,515 posts, read 17,952,089 times
There definitely needs to be a name change on this and many of the other lakes in Minnesota as well. This should only be done through a voter referendum though as the bureaucrats will fail once again with their name selection. I would like to start by suggesting that Lake Calhoun be changed to Calhoun Lake. I'll look at the others and get back to you on those.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:22 AM

20,793 posts, read 49,646,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
I want everything named Jefferson and Washington in the US renamed for the same reason.
They both had slaves too.

Can we stop with the overly politically correctness now?? Calhoun lived in a different era, being a proponent of slaves really wasn't a huge issue back then. Keep in mind that back them women were not allowed to vote or own land either. Time have changed, we don't need a name change.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:04 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,894,259 times
The whole report looks like an example of Dog-whistle politics, also known as the use of code words; a term for a type of political campaigning or speechmaking which employs coded language that appears to mean one thing to the general population but has a different or more specific meaning for a targeted subgroup of the audience.

Fox News does this all the time, but the practice is becoming more common across the whole spectrum of media outlets.

Don't fall for this tripe, it's part of the hatemonger's plan to sew dissension in the population and divide us against each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul