Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Washington DC: Minnesota, transplants, downtown, college, meet singles.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:20 PM

21 posts, read 77,796 times

Advertisements

I'm a 24 year old female from Minneapolis who relocated to the Washington DC area about 6 months ago for a federal government job (the next paragraph is some background info, my specific question for you all is in the last paragraph).

Since then, I've found it really hard to meet people or make friends here--I haven't made a single friend since I got here, or even been able to be in situations where I might be able to make some. I've tried attending various events held by young professionals organizations (Pros In The City, Things To Do In DC, Etc.), but it's like a revolving door of people at each new event, you never run into the same person twice, let alone enough times to get to know them. It's getting to the point where I am starting to feel really lonely and somewhat depressed, I hate leaving work at night because I know all I have to look forward to is another night at a dinner table for one...and weekends are even worse, because while I might be surrounded by people if I go out and about, none of them want to talk to me or interact with me. Making friends through work isn't really an option for me, I've tried it and have discovered I'm pretty much the only person under 25--or even under 30--in my entire organization.

I've asked over in the Washington DC forum for suggestions to local clubs and places where I might be able to make friends in general, but I thought I would ask here for a more specific issue--I would also love to find a place/club/etc. to hand out with my fellow Minnesotans occasionally, especially as recent events have made me realize all too jarringly that the events and issues I care about and have real connections to are no more than random front page news to most other people in DC. I realize it's a huge long shot, but do any of you know of groups/clubs/etc. of other Minnesota-to-DC transplants that I might be able to hook up with?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 11:54 PM

343 posts, read 552,595 times
Hey, I'm from MN but live in AZ for the past 11 years. My company is headquartered in DC and I have to go for training for a week later this month. I'll stay near the capitol and was wondering is there anything cool to do at night within walking distance? I know it's DC and I did the mall walk enough the last time. How far is the ball park the Nationals play in? Maybe a cab ride would be fun to take in a ballgame. Hang in there, its been 6 months. Save your money and get into fitness, another good way to meet people. Ciao!

Old 08-09-2007, 07:10 AM

6 posts, read 22,289 times
Hi Kalysta,

I understand what you're going through. I've been lurking in this forum as I'm thinking of a move to the Cities in the next 8 months. I'm originally from Wisconsin and am now living in Rhode Island. I too am in my20's and moved for a job. Aside from the people I work with, it has been really hard to make friends here. I think it's just something that shifts as we get older....that and to be honest I just don't find east coast folks as friendly. One of the things that's worked for me is picking a few things I really like to do, and trying to get to know the people there. I take a weekly dance class, as well as try to get to the same poetry night every week. If the event is the same, it's easier to also get to know the regulars. I don't know if that helps at all, but I just wanted to let you know I understand! Good luck!

Old 08-11-2007, 09:20 AM

21 posts, read 77,796 times
Quote:
Hey, I'm from MN but live in AZ for the past 11 years. My company is headquartered in DC and I have to go for training for a week later this month. I'll stay near the capitol and was wondering is there anything cool to do at night within walking distance? I know it's DC and I did the mall walk enough the last time. How far is the ball park the Nationals play in? Maybe a cab ride would be fun to take in a ballgame. Hang in there, its been 6 months. Save your money and get into fitness, another good way to meet people. Ciao!
The fitness thing would be hard for me, sadly....I was front seat passenger in an auto accident a few years ago and have suffered from back/neck problems, etc., ever since, so most physical activities (ie, lifting, bending, twisting, etc.) are out, although walking is fine for me, as is swimming.

In terms of good things to do in DC...It would depend on what area of Capitol Hill you'll be staying in, it's a fairly large area, when you start talking about walking distance. If you could tell me what metro stop you'll be staying near (or any other landmark), I should be able to come up with a few things for you.

Quote:
I understand what you're going through. I've been lurking in this forum as I'm thinking of a move to the Cities in the next 8 months. I'm originally from Wisconsin and am now living in Rhode Island. I too am in my20's and moved for a job. Aside from the people I work with, it has been really hard to make friends here. I think it's just something that shifts as we get older....that and to be honest I just don't find east coast folks as friendly. One of the things that's worked for me is picking a few things I really like to do, and trying to get to know the people there. I take a weekly dance class, as well as try to get to the same poetry night every week. If the event is the same, it's easier to also get to know the regulars. I don't know if that helps at all, but I just wanted to let you know I understand! Good luck!
Thanks....

Yeah, in the past I've usually made all my friends through school (which I suppose is the college kid version of work LOL), but as I said, that's not really an option when every work colleague you have has children older than you are. People talk about the "aging federal workforce" sometimes....And wow, are they correct. I have looked for clubs/groups related to things I like, but I have yet to find any...It's almost as if no such things exist in the DC area, or the very least, like you can't ever find anything unless you already know where to find it and have an inside connection......

Old 08-11-2007, 02:11 PM

42 posts, read 241,674 times
I dont really have any advice but i do sympathize with you. I am in the same boat, moved to a new city 5 months ago and havent met anybody. I do put myself out there and go to shows and things im interested in but havent met anybody. so i know where your coming from! Hang in there!

Old 08-23-2007, 08:41 PM

3 posts, read 5,149 times
Hi-
I don't know what your religious beliefs are, but I'd highly recommend connecting in a church/synogague/etc - that is how we met all of our friends in most of the new places we've moved, and we have lived in 4 cities in 10 years and had to make new friends each time.... it is challenging sometimes and does take some time, but like other posters have said, it is helpful to keep going back to something you enjoy/are familiar with and once you can connect to a few people, those friendships will start to develop.

I hope this helps - it is very hard and especially in the 20s (at least in my experience). The 20s are such a fun social time, and when you move to a new city, especially if you're single, it is almost like you're all alone if you don't have your core set of friends you can hang out with - so, just keep on trying - there will be some that will develop! I have had to learn patience.... I'm 29, so I'm just getting out of the 20s, and I still struggle with patience.

Good luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul