Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 06:45 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluydgrl View Post
I don't hate it there.I just don't really hear that good about MN.I do love Stillwater alot.I haven't been any place around to even try to enjoy it.I have only gone there to look at home and still to no avail.
If you're moving, why not just keep an open mind? I think most people can find something to like about almost any place. That doesn't mean you'll love Minneapolis, but certainly plenty of people DO love it here; presumably you, too, can find something that you can at least appreciate. If you're set on hating it in Minneapolis and don't want to even give it a chance, perhaps it's a sign that you shouldn't be moving. In that case, it's more about your situation than it is about location itself. All that said, I would very strongly recommend that you rent, don't buy! If you hate it here you can always move on to a plan B, and that's a lot easier if you don't own. (and give you time to leisurely learn your way around in case you do decide that you want to stick around here long-term, or at least long enough to make it worthwhile to buy something.) Also remember that specific location WITHIN the Twin Cities (or Denver, for that matter) can make a big difference to your overall happiness; the right location can make a HUGE difference to your quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 05:25 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluydgrl View Post
I'm 44 and love my job,house,friends,and most of all Denver.It's such a beautiful state with awesome weather.....
Life is full of trade-offs. It seems that either you have to leave the city and job that you love or the person that you love.

Personally, I have wanted to leave MN for many years exclusively because of the winters. People always talk of the cold and snow. Yes. Winters can get very long and drawn out. But my biggest beef is it's so darn cloudy in January, February, March and April. There are times that we see gray skis for 6 out of 7 days. I know because I count them and comment out loud when I see the sun (it drives her nuts). For me, the lack of the sun is depressing. So when you see 34 degrees in January, realize it's cloudy that day. When you see a high of 5 degrees then it's sunny (YEA). You see, the clouds blanket the atmosphere so the heat cannot escape as easily so cloudy usually means warmer. As you know Denver is SUNNY! You cannot put a price on that.

But I refused to move because I didn't think it was fair to my wife and Kids to uproot them from their family and friends. So the question that you need to answer before you consider moving is why did your partner value her career more than you?? You said that she also loved Denver. You have obviously had dozens of conversations about not wanting to go.

So the way I see it is do you want to risk going backwards with your quality of life (friends, income, weather, weeks of vacation) to re-start all over?? Straight Talk: Don't you get the feeling that your partner is a little selfish leaving a spot she also loved?

The quality of life here in MN really cannot be beat. I found this C-D site because I was looking for a "better" year round spot than MN. What I learned after pouring in hundreds of hours reading and visiting all kinds of places is that there IS A REASON why MN finishes in "best places to live". BUT. Denver is no slouch. If I had to pick a YEAR ROUND spot to live (and not uprooting my family) I would pick Denver over MN.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:03 AM

70 posts, read 113,267 times
People who move here have a hard time making friends fitting in, it's like a big high school here, people have their own cliques. People from here seem to move away but come back instantaneously. I'd stay in Denver, better weather, better scenery.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:46 AM

356 posts, read 605,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
If you're moving, why not just keep an open mind? I think most people can find something to like about almost any place. That doesn't mean you'll love Minneapolis, but certainly plenty of people DO love it here; presumably you, too, can find something that you can at least appreciate. If you're set on hating it in Minneapolis and don't want to even give it a chance, perhaps it's a sign that you shouldn't be moving. In that case, it's more about your situation than it is about location itself. All that said, I would very strongly recommend that you rent, don't buy! If you hate it here you can always move on to a plan B, and that's a lot easier if you don't own. (and give you time to leisurely learn your way around in case you do decide that you want to stick around here long-term, or at least long enough to make it worthwhile to buy something.) Also remember that specific location WITHIN the Twin Cities (or Denver, for that matter) can make a big difference to your overall happiness; the right location can make a HUGE difference to your quality of life.
I did just that - came here with an open mind, even after reading about the plight of transplants. I was actually looking forward to coming here for a myriad of reasons because I heard so many good things about the place.

But you're right, if you come with a negative attitude, you're going to have a negative experience.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:21 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
Technically, November is the cloudiest month and July (~70% sunny days) is the sunniest month. Jan, Feb and even Mar aren't nearly as cloudy as November (~35% sunny days).

Old 06-17-2011, 04:03 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Technically, November is the cloudiest month and July (~70% sunny days) is the sunniest month. Jan, Feb and even March aren't nearly as cloudy as November (~35% sunny days).
You are right. Thanks for looking that up. So it's clougy 65% of the days in November. I suppose by Jan-March (coupled with the cold) I'm starting to go nuts.

Go look at Denver's sunny days. Overall, it's sunny 67% the entire year.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:25 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
Denver is actually TOO sunny, for me personally. There is such a thing. I have this theory that some people in parts of the country, but especially places like LA, are sort of nuts because they've had too much exposure to the sun. I get sick of the sun after several sunny days on end, ESPECIALLY if it's blisteringly hot outside and the sun is straight overhead. In other words, I don't like the extremes:

too sunny, no clouds/rain
too cloudy, no sunshine or warmth

Old 06-17-2011, 06:30 PM

61 posts, read 111,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Life is full of trade-offs. It seems that either you have to leave the city and job that you love or the person that you love.

Personally, I have wanted to leave MN for many years exclusively because of the winters. People always talk of the cold and snow. Yes. Winters can get very long and drawn out. But my biggest beef is it's so darn cloudy in January, February, March and April. There are times that we see gray skis for 6 out of 7 days. I know because I count them and comment out loud when I see the sun (it drives her nuts). For me, the lack of the sun is depressing. So when you see 34 degrees in January, realize it's cloudy that day. When you see a high of 5 degrees then it's sunny (YEA). You see, the clouds blanket the atmosphere so the heat cannot escape as easily so cloudy usually means warmer. As you know Denver is SUNNY! You cannot put a price on that.

But I refused to move because I didn't think it was fair to my wife and Kids to uproot them from their family and friends. So the question that you need to answer before you consider moving is why did your partner value her career more than you?? You said that she also loved Denver. You have obviously had dozens of conversations about not wanting to go.

So the way I see it is do you want to risk going backwards with your quality of life (friends, income, weather, weeks of vacation) to re-start all over?? Straight Talk: Don't you get the feeling that your partner is a little selfish leaving a spot she also loved?

The quality of life here in MN really cannot be beat. I found this C-D site because I was looking for a "better" year round spot than MN. What I learned after pouring in hundreds of hours reading and visiting all kinds of places is that there IS A REASON why MN finishes in "best places to live". BUT. Denver is no slouch. If I had to pick a YEAR ROUND spot to live (and not uprooting my family) I would pick Denver over MN.
We chose MN together for the money she would be making.She was offered a job here as a DM for a company but it didn't pay half as much as the job offer she got in MN.
I know if we both could do it over she would be back here.We realized happiness out weighs money by far NOW

Old 06-17-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
You are right. Thanks for looking that up. So it's clougy 65% of the days in November. I suppose by Jan-March (coupled with the cold) I'm starting to go nuts.

Go look at Denver's sunny days. Overall, it's sunny 67% the entire year.

Thank you...Yes it is.The cold here isn't anything compared to MN.I don't think cold is cold..I think there are all types of cold.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Denver is actually TOO sunny, for me personally. There is such a thing. I have this theory that some people in parts of the country, but especially places like LA, are sort of nuts because they've had too much exposure to the sun. I get sick of the sun after several sunny days on end, ESPECIALLY if it's blisteringly hot outside and the sun is straight overhead. In other words, I don't like the extremes:

too sunny, no clouds/rain
too cloudy, no sunshine or warmth
Well...Denver isn't the extremes at all.It's sunny..Then cloudy...Then it rains(like today).Alot of the time when its sunny and hot.The clouds cover the sun so it's not so hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul