Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like the humidity?
Love it, and was raised in MN 8 14.29%
Love it, and was raised in a humid climate 2 3.57%
Love it, and was raised in a dry climate 2 3.57%
Hate it, and was raised in a humid climate 33 58.93%
Hate it, and was raised in a dry climate 7 12.50%
Huh? 4 7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 10:17 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times

Advertisements

I loved what little humidity existed in MN, but Minnesota isn't that humid compared to many other parts of the country, and it generally wasn't hot and humid at the same time.

Even though Atlanta is at approx 1000 feet ASL and not as humid as parts further south, it's still more humid than the Twin Cities, and you will see a lot of steam here after a rain shower during the day. I absolutely love that, and I don't remember seeing it very often up there.

(Example: it's 86F right now with a dewpoint of 76F. Heat Index 97F. I like this weather, but I don't think that's very common in Minneapolis, and it's pretty humid for here also).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 01:29 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
It is all relative. The OP is from CA, so MN would seem humid. But compared to other Midwestern and Northeastern cities, it is at the low end of the humidity scale. I live in S FL growing up where dew points are consistently above 60 for about 9 months of the year. I've hated the humid days we've had this summer, but we have so few compared to the South and even the rest of the Midwest and NE. MN feels like heaven to me!

Old 07-11-2011, 02:12 PM

865 posts, read 2,500,919 times
Let me get this straight, the OP is operating on the assumption that there are people out there that actually enjoy humidity?

One of my worst humidity experiences was staying at a college buddies apartment in St Paul during a particularly bad summer. 95 degrees and what I think was about 90% humidity. No AC - all you could do was lay on the floor in front of a fan!

Old 07-11-2011, 04:30 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
Let me get this straight, the OP is operating on the assumption that there are people out there that actually enjoy humidity?
People buy saunas for a reason.

For me, it makes a difference whether I'm going to be working outside or sitting in a chair drinking tea. In the former case, humidity sucks. In the latter, I'm rather fond of it. Then again, I also wear shorts down here even when it's well below freezing, so some might think I'm a little on the unstable side.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:42 PM

302 posts, read 726,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieGeek View Post
I am from California where humidity is not really present, so I am not accustomed to it. Mostly everyone I know who has been to a humid climate can't stand humidity, so I was very surprised in moving here to find it is something that people can actually like- I had always thought it was like the cold winters and just something people put up with.
I'm from CA too and I agree! I don't think I'll ever get used to it! I was in Vegas last month and it was 110 and dry. I was FINE with it because it wasn't humid! My MN coworkers just kept complaining about how hot it was. I much prefer 110 and dry than 80 and humid!

I think that my friends here that like humidity either 1) are accustomed to it and just seem able to ignore it OR 2) like that it plumps their skin (wrinkles).

Old 07-11-2011, 08:48 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,268,041 times
I actually prefer some humidity to dry heat. I hate when it gets dry and dusty because then my allergies begin to kick in.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:06 PM

256 posts, read 664,236 times
I HATE humidity. I don't mind hot weather, as I've vacationed summers in Arizona. It's the humidity. But I decided that after the winter that we had out here this year, I'm not complaining. Happy to have AC though.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:48 AM
l12

160 posts, read 317,128 times
Interesting topic!

I've been wondering about this myself, trying to explain to myself how it can possibly be good to have humid summers, interesting to see that in fact we humidity haters are the vast majority apparently.

(I was hoping I could defend Minnesota on this point by saying that, unlike most places, it can appeal to people of every different weather preference at SOME point of the year, creating perhaps a more diverse society.)

I can definitely affirm that a lot of people do love it, I'm from Florida, and we have days equal to the WORST hot and humid summer day here, EVERY SINGLE DAY for at least half of the year in North FL, almost all year in South Florida. With perhaps the only difference that there are torrential thunderstorms almost everyday randomly for 15 minutes-a few hours which cools things off briefly (cool meaning, 80 and still super humid rather than 95). But those are quite scary also.

I hated it, and I hate it here in Minneapolis but at least it's only about 20 days per year it seems.

My wife is from Chile which has California weather and she hates it a lot more, it even gives her persistent ear infections!

We actually like the winters, big deal, put on a jacket and gloves, and the snow is pretty, but this humidity sucks the life and spirit from us.

I do think that dry heat sucks too though. It is easier to cool off in the shade but it's still hot and miserable to me if you actually have to go out of AC and do stuff. And also many places with very mild dry summers like California and Chile do not have much AC.

Nothing can be worse though than living in a place like NYC where many things are without AC, underground, crowded, AND you have to walk everywhere. After a summer living there and sweltering waiting for and riding subways I swore I wouldn't move back unless I could afford to take taxis all summer. At least in Minnesota we can choose to stay mostly indoors and still have plenty to do.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:49 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
People buy saunas for a reason.

For me, it makes a difference whether I'm going to be working outside or sitting in a chair drinking tea. In the former case, humidity sucks. In the latter, I'm rather fond of it. Then again, I also wear shorts down here even when it's well below freezing, so some might think I'm a little on the unstable side.
Yesterday the temp was 89 and the dewpoint was ~70. I decided to sit out on the screened porch in the shade and pay bills. Started sweating just sitting there! Back into the AC after about 20 minutes!

Old 07-12-2011, 01:08 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,658,251 times
The humidity is supposed to be good for the skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul