Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 11:34 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGolly View Post
Thank you for the info., everyone.
WJ, good luck with your move.
We are thinking that a neighborhood around one of the colleges will serve our needs/preferences best. I know that we're really going to miss the T (subway system). I have read that a light rail project is in the works along one thoroughfare in St. Paul. I'm assuming that we will need to make use of the bus system because I can't see that it's going to branch throughout the city. Am I right? We have just one car -- rarely used in the city -- because we can get everywhere we need to go via the T here.
One other question -- does St. Paul have a good community education program? We're looking for ways to get to know people with common interests.
St Catherine, St Thomas, Macalester, Hamline, Concordia & William Mitchell Law School all being in roughly the same area gives you a lot of options for being around colleges.

The lower end neighborhoods of the areas like Hamline-Midway, Merriam/Union Park & Summit-University/Summit-U all border University Ave where the new light rail line is currently being installed. In a few years, those areas will have immediate light rail access and be more in-demand.

St Paul has the same MTC bus system as Mpls, that is to say excellent. It also has an excellent bike path system (Not as good as Mpls's, but who's is?) & that would be an easy bike commute to work 3/4 of the year.

Community education? Not sure exactly, but....St Paul schools/neighborhoods/parks/churches are always looking for volunteers & new members so that's a great way for new residents to get to know people in the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 08:30 AM

345 posts, read 833,448 times
Highland Park or Macalester-Groveland will feel the most close to home feel and will be maybe a 15 minute drive to downtown St. Paul.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:26 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
I'm worried that no place in the Twin Cities will meet your expectations.....the TC are NOT Boston, in the urban context anyways.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:07 AM

13 posts, read 18,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I'm worried that no place in the Twin Cities will meet your expectations.....the TC are NOT Boston, in the urban context anyways.
I think we will do okay with the move. I'm sure that some of those things that we have to leave behind will be made up for by other things that are unique to this area. It can't be too difficult to figure out the bus system in St. Paul, can it?

Old 07-30-2011, 11:36 AM

134 posts, read 338,786 times
You can find all the transit information at www.metrotransit.org.
If you're heading towards downtown St Paul, look for lines along Grand Ave, St. Claire or Randolph.

It sounds like you will have plenty of time to explore neighborhoods, while housesitting, which is great. There are some wonderful neighborhoods around Grand Avenue/ Summit area- with shopping on Grand. MacGroveland has a lot of good solid housing stock is also a great option. I live in Highland Park and there is a lot of shopping/services/library/park etc here.The paths for biking and running are fantastic as well. You can get on the path by the river and go to the U of Mn without getting off the path, or having to cross an intersection. It's also easy to get to downtown on a bikepath along the river going the other direction. Heading across the river, you're in Minneapolis and have access to Fort Snelling and all their paths. Minneapolis & St Paul (in fact the whole metro) has made great advances in becoming more bike friendly in the last decade, so many people are now able to commute by bike. If that's an option for you, make sure you check out bike routes,as well as transit routes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul