Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 11:03 PM

628 posts, read 1,429,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalSasha View Post
I recommend avoiding North Minneapolis, Brooklyn Park and Brooklyn Center. The mall was closed up there because of urban blight and there have been about 50 murders so far in 2010, so it's almost as bad as going to the middle east or the Mexican border towns.
Please ignore this jargon. Everything above is a complete lie probably from someone who doesn't even live in the Twin Cities, and if they do they probably stay in a very large, well furnished home in Edina or some other metro fantasy land.

If you have common sense and street smarts, you have nothing to worry about ANYWHERE in Minneapolis AND the quiet suburbs of Brooklyn Park and Brooklyn Center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 12:30 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,633,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
Please ignore this jargon. Everything above is a complete lie probably from someone who doesn't even live in the Twin Cities, and if they do they probably stay in a very large, well furnished home in Edina or some other metro fantasy land.

If you have common sense and street smarts, you have nothing to worry about ANYWHERE in Minneapolis AND the quiet suburbs of Brooklyn Park and Brooklyn Center.

I really hope the OP wasn't serious.

Most of the crime in these places are people who know each other, have gruges. Rarely is a crime committed out of total randomness. My father works in N. Minneapolis and has for 18 years, everday and has never been intimidated or threatened. He has seen his fair share of problems, but nothing to be scared of. We used to live in Brooklyn Park. Nothing bad there, just a typical suburb.

Minnesotans and their scandanavian family culuture are just worry warts and assume places like Brooklyn Center and Brooklyn Park are 'Bad'

Old 03-05-2010, 08:58 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,039,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
I really hope the OP wasn't serious.

Most of the crime in these places are people who know each other, have gruges. Rarely is a crime committed out of total randomness. My father works in N. Minneapolis and has for 18 years, everday and has never been intimidated or threatened. He has seen his fair share of problems, but nothing to be scared of. We used to live in Brooklyn Park. Nothing bad there, just a typical suburb.

Minnesotans and their scandanavian family culuture are just worry warts and assume places like Brooklyn Center and Brooklyn Park are 'Bad'
I know way to many people in st. cloud that acts like if you walk in minneapolis or anywhere in the twin cities you're going to be slaughtered, its ridiculous

Old 03-06-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
I know way to many people in st. cloud that acts like if you walk in minneapolis or anywhere in the twin cities you're going to be slaughtered, its ridiculous

You should see it here in Duluth. People act like 'Central Hillside' and "West Duluth' are bad. Since when does low-income, blue collar, turn of the century homes mean crime ridden and bad neighborhoods? Ignorance I guess....

I have lived in Central Hillside in Duluth for nearly 2 years, and have never locked my door to my house... Never have I felt scared. Minneapolis to me is the same, I would go downtown as soon as I got my license. We would park in a ramp, chug some beers and walk around downtown for 6 hours. Juvenile, i know, but as a 16 yr old I never felt scared... I had a friend who lived on 56th and Emerson and we would go there almost everyday in the summer, and never had any problems....

To some people, if its not neat lawns and picket fences, or ALL WHITE PEOPLE it's a bad place

Old 03-06-2010, 12:06 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,288,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
That mentality exists in most smaller towns near a large city in my experience. Just to throw out a few examples I was studying abroad in a small town in Costa Rica called Bagaces and all the locals would tell me that San Jose was extremely dangerous and I shouldn't go there with any visible jewelry or I'd be assaulted. When I was studying in Granada, Nicaragua the locals would say the same thing about the capital city, Managua. People the the smaller cities and towns in the south central part of Mexico will all say that about Mexico City. Everybody will tell you that Tepito is extremely dangerous and you'll inevitably be assaulted and robbed if you set foot in there. Well, I've been to all those places and I was a gringo who stuck out like a sore thumb...and guess what? Nothing bad ever happened to me.

Minneapolis and St. Paul are no exception to this rule in my own personal experiences.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:32 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,039,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
That mentality exists in most smaller towns near a large city in my experience. Just to throw out a few examples I was studying abroad in a small town in Costa Rica called Bagaces and all the locals would tell me that San Jose was extremely dangerous and I shouldn't go there with any visible jewelry or I'd be assaulted. When I was studying in Granada, Nicaragua the locals would say the same thing about the capital city, Managua. People the the smaller cities and towns in the south central part of Mexico will all say that about Mexico City. Everybody will tell you that Tepito is extremely dangerous and you'll inevitably be assaulted and robbed if you set foot in there. Well, I've been to all those places and I was a gringo who stuck out like a sore thumb...and guess what? Nothing bad ever happened to me.

Minneapolis and St. Paul are no exception to this rule in my own personal experiences.
I was just visiting some relatives near redwood falls, mn today actually, and since redwood falls and marshall are like the biggest cities in that area and the other towns are extremely small and usually have a population under 1000, they always think st. cloud as being ridiculously dangerous and they ask us how we can safely live there.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:14 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,826,490 times
I hope you guys know that you are walking marks for some of the locals in these neighborhoods you taut as being completely safe as long as your not rolling with a gang or its rivals. Bad things can and DO happen in bad neighborhoods and MPLS and STP are no exception, although they are not nearly as rough and Chicago, Detroit, Philly, etc., but don't be so naive as to think that your positive attitude and smiles and sunshine will change a crack head's perspective on who to attack to get money, or to prove their "cred" to a gang they want to join. I've seen it plenty myself, and I know people who do it. It's NOT always safe and it's very unwise to put yourself in harm's way. This is not to say all neighborhoods/cities in question fall into this category, but I've heard too many times on these message boards how stupid white suburbanites are deathly afraid of the city and that they just don't know what they are talking about. They may not, but based on some of your reactions it's clear that neither do you!

Old 03-08-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I hope you guys know that you are walking marks for some of the locals in these neighborhoods you taut as being completely safe as long as your not rolling with a gang or its rivals. Bad things can and DO happen in bad neighborhoods and MPLS and STP are no exception, although they are not nearly as rough and Chicago, Detroit, Philly, etc., but don't be so naive as to think that your positive attitude and smiles and sunshine will change a crack head's perspective on who to attack to get money, or to prove their "cred" to a gang they want to join. I've seen it plenty myself, and I know people who do it. It's NOT always safe and it's very unwise to put yourself in harm's way. This is not to say all neighborhoods/cities in question fall into this category, but I've heard too many times on these message boards how stupid white suburbanites are deathly afraid of the city and that they just don't know what they are talking about. They may not, but based on some of your reactions it's clear that neither do you!

Hey, I am in no way, shape or form saying you should take a stroll down Broadway in N. Minneapolis by yourself past dark. I also wouldnt reccomend it near downtown, dinkytown, or Uptown. I wouldnt reccomend walking alone through bad neighborhoods in St. Cloud or Duluth, but with crime, sometimes you need common sense... Think about it, all you have to do is outsmart a thug.

I was jumped in St. Cloud on 6th Avenue, 1 block from SCSU. 3 people pushed me over, tried grabbing for a wallet (didnt have one) and they kicked me and ran away. Do I think St. Cloud is the most horrible place on earth? Is it dangerous? No, and no. But, I was stupid, and was walking by myself in the dark, at 2 am. I hate to say it, but my stupidity deserved me getting pushed over.

My cousin got jumped on Lake Street in Uptown at 2 am, even with people around. he was by his self though, and he doesnt act like MPLS is the most dangerous city in the world.

If you live in a sketchy neighborhood, lock your doors, lock your windows and mind your business, and use common sense. my buddy here in Duluth had a 36 inch flatscreen taken right from his house on 21st avenue East (a major street). Why? Well probably beacuse they left and NEVER locked their doors, and the TV was clearly visible from the street. duh.

I'm not saying that crime doesn't exist and that MPLS and STP are the safest cities ever, but use some discretion and common sense, and crime will probably avoid you.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:56 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,826,490 times
^That's encouraging to hear, because I was getting the impression that some people felt that these things just don't happen to good/random people. For instance, I have friends who feel that way.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
^That's encouraging to hear, because I was getting the impression that some people felt that these things just don't happen to good/random people. For instance, I have friends who feel that way.
Yeah, I don't mean to downplay crime and unfortunate events, but I feel like people shouldn't and don't need to walk around on eggshells because they might be a victim of crime....

Similar to driving. yes everytime you drive you COULD die or get hurt, but be safe, use common sense and for the most part you'll be fine, but freak accidents do happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul