U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 03:43 PM

278 posts, read 592,990 times

Advertisements

Right across the Mendota Bridge (MN Highway 55) from MSP International Airport, literally right across the bridge are a good number of suburbs with plenty of green spaces, homes with large lot sizes, reasonable real estate prices, decent rentals, and very little traffic meaning easy commute via either Minnesota Highway 55 or Minnesota Highway 110. Also the river crossing is quite beautiful!

These suburbs are: Mendota Heights (zip code 55120); Mendota; Inver Grove Heights (zip code 55077)and I do like the earlier suggestions of Eagan, Apple Valley (zip code 55124)and Rosemount.

Sunfish Lake is also very nice, but also very pricey.

There is far less traffic living and commuting east from the Airport than it is commuting and living west of the Intl Airport. Also, the suburbs I just mentioned have far more open space, and you are not living on top of each other like in Richfield, Bloomington or in the city of Minneapolis proper.

A lot of people who work near the airport which is in a Minneapolis suburb fail to consider the country feel which lies just across the river a few miles from the airport because they are St. Paul suburbs. I guess crossing the river is a psychological thing. LOL!

Two suburbs close to the airport which have much of the shopping, dinning and related services you need all along South Robert Street are the suburban communities of West Saint Paul (zip code 55118) and South Saint Paul where the homes are even less expensive than the suburbs I previously mentioned have a number of descent rental townhomes and apartments along with starter homes in good condition. There is greater poulation density in West St. Paul and South St. Paul, but nothing like it would be in Hopkins or Richfield and Bloomington.

If you are willing to drive a little further out but certainly in your desired 20-25 minute commute range and closer than Hopkins are the Washington County suburbs of Woodbury (zip code 55125)and Cottage Grove (zip code 55016).

I do really like Hopkins however commuting to and from the airport west on I-494 or the Crosstown Freeway on MN Hwy 62 are unbearable along with US Highway 169 as well are extremely rough.

I should also remind you that the Hiawatha Light Rail line which is Metro Transit Route #55 picks right up at both Terminal #1 ( Lindberg)and Terminal #2 (Humphrey) on its way north towards downtown Minneapolis and south towards Mall of America. Right across the Mendota Bridge is the Fort Snelling light rail stop with a large free Park-and Ride lot for those taking the light rail.

There are really no suburbs like Richmond, BC which is where I usually stay when in Vancouver, in my opinion the most beautiful major city in North America!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 04:29 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,626,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn55110 View Post
There is far less traffic living and commuting east from the Airport than it is commuting and living west of the Intl Airport. Also, the suburbs I just mentioned have far more open space, and you are not living on top of each other like in Richfield, Bloomington or in the city of Minneapolis proper.

I should also remind you that the Hiawatha Light Rail line which is Metro Transit Route #55 picks right up at both Terminal #1 ( Lindberg)and Terminal #2 (Humphrey) on its way north towards downtown Minneapolis and south towards Mall of America. Right across the Mendota Bridge is the Fort Snelling light rail stop with a large free Park-and Ride lot for those taking the light rail.
I don't know why you single out Richfield, Bloomington, and Minneapolis as cities where you "live on top of each other". I don't know if you've seen those cities (including a large swath of Minneapolis where the OP would probably be looking if searching in the city proper), but they're pretty much single family homes with moderate-sized lots. They certainly have as much lawn space as some of the other suburbs you mentioned, and with a less all-beige-development feel!

On your second paragraph I quoted, I'm mostly just curious why anyone would drive across the river to the park and ride to get on the light rail for one stop? It seems a bit silly (unless the OP plans on leaving their car there for a long time, though I'm guessing the park-and-rides discourage this, though I can't comment as I haven't had a need for one). It would probably take more time and cost more money.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:53 PM

20,793 posts, read 54,914,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
I don't know why you single out Richfield, Bloomington, and Minneapolis as cities where you "live on top of each other". I don't know if you've seen those cities (including a large swath of Minneapolis where the OP would probably be looking if searching in the city proper), but they're pretty much single family homes with moderate-sized lots. They certainly have as much lawn space as some of the other suburbs you mentioned, and with a less all-beige-development feel!

On your second paragraph I quoted, I'm mostly just curious why anyone would drive across the river to the park and ride to get on the light rail for one stop? It seems a bit silly (unless the OP plans on leaving their car there for a long time, though I'm guessing the park-and-rides discourage this, though I can't comment as I haven't had a need for one). It would probably take more time and cost more money.
Because the OP wanted to be by the countryside and you just don't see a lot of farms in Richfield or Bloomington any more....

Besides, most of South Minneapolis has postage sized lots, hardly "moderate".

Old 08-10-2011, 05:35 PM

455 posts, read 552,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Agree with this. I would consider the vast majority of South Minneapolis lots to be small.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:31 PM

7,466 posts, read 13,116,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
Agree with this. I would consider the vast majority of South Minneapolis lots to be small.
Yep, I love my small South Minneapolis yard. It's probably still more yard than I'll ever want or need.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:25 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,213,700 times
Of course, if your idea of fun is spending all afternoon in the hot sun driving a noisy riding mower back and forth, you'll have to go to one of those places that provides such entertainment.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:08 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,843,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
Of course, if your idea of fun is spending all afternoon in the hot sun driving a noisy riding mower back and forth, you'll have to go to one of those places that provides such entertainment.
Large yards don't have to be hard to mow. Our house here in a faraway land lives on just over 4/10ths an of acre, but I'd guess 75% of the area is occupied by a combination of nice shady woods, hedges/shrubs, the house, or the driveway. That leaves a decent patch of grass in front to mow plus a small strip on the far side of the driveway, and the hill behind the driveway is only mowed occasionally. It's a lot less grass than my Dad's .25 acre yard in Minnetonka. But also a lot more privacy.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:31 PM

687 posts, read 1,080,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
I do kind of enjoy getting out with our mower. It is a reel mower however.

The riding mowers do look kind of fun to drive. It would be complete overkill for our yard. Plus, I like the exercise and not having to worry about maintaining an engine. Oh, and I'm too cheap.

If mowing a lawn was a real concern, you could pay someone to do it.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:54 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,626,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Because the OP wanted to be by the countryside and you just don't see a lot of farms in Richfield or Bloomington any more....

Clearly you didn't read anything I said except that I didn't insult Minneapolis and the inner 'burbs, because you clearly missed the point.

I wasn't suggesting Minneapolis, Richfield, or Bloomington for the OP at all. Indeed, if they want a country feel, they should look further out. But some of the suggestions of the person I was quoting are hardly country feel, either. They're beige suburbs with typical cul-de-sac and big-box developments.

I suppose it depends on how you define "moderate" and "postage-sized", but I've seen plenty of moderate-sized yards in south Minneapolis. And by that, I do mean large enough that kids would have enough space to play games and such. Regardless, living on top of each other indicates more dense, apartment-style living: even the so-called postage-sized lots you are convinced everyone in Minneapolis, Richfield, and Bloomington has are still single-family homes where the only people living on top of you are...family members!

Old 08-12-2011, 09:58 AM

7,466 posts, read 13,116,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
I suppose it depends on how you define "moderate" and "postage-sized", but I've seen plenty of moderate-sized yards in south Minneapolis. And by that, I do mean large enough that kids would have enough space to play games and such. Regardless, living on top of each other indicates more dense, apartment-style living: even the so-called postage-sized lots you are convinced everyone in Minneapolis, Richfield, and Bloomington has are still single-family homes where the only people living on top of you are...family members!
For me the yard is fairly obsolete for kids playing, etc. when there are great parks and other public places nearby for people to gather, play and enjoy. Where we are located there are two fantastic parks within a short walking distance that fullfills this need. Thus, the private yard for the most part is just something else that requires regular maintenance. I would probably be almost equally happy with zero yard where we're at currently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul