Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 07:27 PM

334 posts, read 486,863 times

Advertisements

I hear it closed. I don't live in minny no more...but why would this happen? CPK is a great place, and you do not let a place like this close down. Many cities would love to have a CPK and the one you have closed. What a waste....now the plaza in rosedale is just panera/chipotle and the sub place (what was name of that?). ridiculous..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 07:44 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,695,327 times
It was bad pizza, I'm sorry to say. And with the advent of inexpensive, fast, neopolitan style pizza to the metro, there was no longer a need to fight for parking and overpay for a rubbery pizza. They further diluted their brand by having a frozen pizza with their name on it in every grocery store. When i went to one in chicago circa 1990, pizza with odd toppoings was a novelty. Unfortunalty, the option for odd toppings is almost eveyrwhere now, and they started to lose their relevance in the market. I hate to be a downer, but I can't wait till Flame goes under too, they were less than impressive. A great location deserves a better establishment.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:34 AM

687 posts, read 1,255,619 times
There also was a Z (sp?) Pizza that went in up the road next to Byerly's. I'd guess they have a similar market.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the plaza thing at Rosedale. It seems like a hassle to get to. And then there's parking and navigating a large parking lot. I can deal with that stuff, but I'd prefer not to. Of course, most of the shopping and restraurants in Roseville feel at least somewhat congested when I think about it...

Old 07-28-2011, 08:08 AM

988 posts, read 1,827,620 times
Yes, CPK closed down probably 3-4 months ago. IMO, too much competition in the restaurant market there for the available market - there's only so many dollars and customers to spread around.

I actually used to work a 2nd job PT at the Macaroni Grill there and when the Plaza started opening all the restaurants it definitely had an impact on the business level at Mac Shack. I'm not sure if that has turned around as I hear corporate management insists on business practices for their restaurants that don't seem particularly guest-friendly (but again only my opinion).

Flame is an okay restaurant, though I'm not sure if there's a compelling reason to go out of your way to go there. I personally no longer do because they unexplicably fired a favorite bartender there.

Do keep in mind - however in addition to the fast food options of Potbelly, Chipotle, and Panera on the other side of the Plaza itself - there's still Flame, Macaroni Grill and Big Bowl just inside the door, and Granite City. Additionally, if you want to walk some there is also Green Mill and Ruby Tuesday's in the mall.

I agree Rosedale is a pain to get into and out, especially on that side of the mall. You have to do the huge loop around the mall one-way and there's too often a million cars to fight with in that area with the movie theater. It now takes special desire to get me there - and I don't live far away at all.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:20 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,366,293 times
We ate there once. I would guess it closed due to low volume because as I recall it was pretty empty when we dined there. We were disappointed with the small portions and food quality despite the moderately high prices, which is why we never went back.

I think CPK is an interesting concept but it just didn't deliver. In my opinion there are plenty of better pizza options in the Twin Cities. It looks like there are still CPK's in Maple Grove, Edina and St. Paul.

We actually just went to Rosedale last weekend to check out the Borders Books liquidation. I agree that mall access is a pain. Personally, I have a strong preference for the Mall of America, for access as well as content.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 07-28-2011 at 08:29 AM..

Old 07-28-2011, 08:31 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,695,327 times
And not that I would never go to a sit down for pizza, but generally speaking I get pizza for takeout or delivery on casual nights. So the thought of paying higher prices to eat a supposedly gourmet pizza and pay a tip and fight for parking and all that kind of ruins the casualness of eating pizza for me. It'd be like paying $10 to buy a gourmet sub sandwich at a hard to get to sit down restaurant......not saying you shouldn't do it, but why not go to Jimmy johns, potbelly, etc. Let's not ruin the essence of a fast casual food here

Old 07-28-2011, 08:48 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,366,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
And not that I would never go to a sit down for pizza, but generally speaking I get pizza for takeout or delivery on casual nights. So the thought of paying higher prices to eat a supposedly gourmet pizza and pay a tip and fight for parking and all that kind of ruins the casualness of eating pizza for me. It'd be like paying $10 to buy a gourmet sub sandwich at a hard to get to sit down restaurant......not saying you shouldn't do it, but why not go to Jimmy johns, potbelly, etc. Let's not ruin the essence of a fast casual food here
Sit-down pizza can be done right though. Try Carbones, Pizza Luce, The Leaning Tower of Pizza, Jakeeno's, Piccolo's (located in Eagan in your neck of the woods), Green Mill, etc.

I heard Punch is really good too but I still haven't made it out to one.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:33 AM

988 posts, read 1,827,620 times
My guess is CPK was betting on being near the movie theater and, of course, catching the shoppers themselves. In other words, not necessarily being a destination in and of itself but catching people going there for other events and deciding to eat while there. Again, with too many restaurant options for the number of people there, probably among other reasons, hard to make a convincing sale.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:41 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,673,910 times
Maybe because CPK pizza is garbage. Why would anyone put themselves through that rat race just to get a mediocre pizza?

Good, go out of business. Stupid corporate generic pizza. Let the ma and pa's take over.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:41 PM

334 posts, read 486,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Sit-down pizza can be done right though. Try Carbones, Pizza Luce, The Leaning Tower of Pizza, Jakeeno's, Piccolo's (located in Eagan in your neck of the woods), Green Mill, etc.

I heard Punch is really good too but I still haven't made it out to one.
they should bring in a punch...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul