Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 11:35 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,201,454 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,

Quick question. I plan on buying a home in Eden Prairie or a SW suburb and was wondering if anyone put in a lot of money to make their backyard more entertaining. I was thinking of doing a pool, as well as one of those projector screen TV's to sit outside at night and watch Twins games for next summer. Anyone do anything like this? Is it really worth it?

Plus, How many months can you really sit outside and not get too cold? May till middle of September?

Thanks so much
Jake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 05:33 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,176,685 times
Well, if you dress for it you can sit outside all year . In a normal year, you can usually be out April through mid-November. Sure there will be a day or two in there that will be chilly, etc. but not all of them.

Pools here are eh. It isn't going to really increase the value of your home but it's a bonus for someone that wants one.

We have done movies in the backyard with the kids' friends. We just hang a sheet off our deck and that works fine. I don't know that I would want anything permanent. They sell inflatable movie screens, that might be an option too.

We have a fire pit that gets used frequently as do many of our neighbors.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:36 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,320,266 times
If it's what you want to do to entertain your friends and enjoy yourself in the summer events I say go for it. If you get alot of enjoyment out of it, then it's definitely worth it. If you're only doing it because you think that one day it will make your home more marketable when you're trying to sell it, forget it.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:39 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,418,116 times
Most articles I've read about home upgrades gives pools bad marks, as they will turn off many buyers who don't want to deal with the maintenance and such. If you're into it and can afford it, by all means jump in, just have your eyes wide open about expecting a monetary return.

Around here though, maybe a large nice hot-tub is a better idea? Sitting in the hot-tub watching the Vikes on your projector TV in October sounds pretty appealing (well, depends on the Vikings, I guess). Work in a nice big grill and an outdoor fridge to keep the beer/soda/lemonade close to hand and I think I'll just invite myself over

Old 08-16-2011, 11:38 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,201,454 times
Thanks guys for the advice......Esp 1st pontiac as I like the way you think...

Old 08-20-2011, 11:47 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,675,035 times
On the hot tub issue: make sure to investigate all the maintenance costs (both in time and money) before you make your final decision. Some relatives of mine just bought a house with hot tub, and I think they said it will cost something like $5-6/day to run it during the winter, and it takes a fair amount of time to keep it maintained, even when not actively using it. They're going to give it a shot this year and see how it goes, and to decide whether or not they use it enough to make it worth all that time and money. It was not a selling point for the house, and in fact I think it was seen more as a liability. So don't go into it thinking you'll recoup your money. But if YOU like it and can afford it, then by all means go for it. I'd probably start small, though; I think you will want to get to know the landscape before you invest in serious hardscape. Maybe talk to a landscape architect or garden designer or someone, too, especially if you're thinking of doing something very expensive and permanent.

Fire pits or the like will extend your fall season well into October, and if lucky, beyond.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:09 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,048,966 times
A pool would be awesome... that is if you didn't have all the maintenance and the other things that go along with owning a pool...
If you like it and are willing to do it, then go for it.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:55 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,647,749 times
I've never owned an outdoor pool in Minnesota, but would expect that the maintenance involved would make it more trouble than it's worth, especially an in-ground pool. The ice damage from spring and fall frosts would make me shy away, and the potential for tragedy also (my hotel had a pool drowning recenty - it was terrible for the family and our staff; the ops manager had to jump in and drag the dying victim off the bottom of the pool).

Old 08-22-2011, 01:53 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,048,966 times
At one of my previous apartment complexes, I knew one of the caretakers there for a while on a personal level, and they'd tell me how much work it is. They told me they wish it could of been an indoor pool. They were out there several times a week doing maintenance.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:15 PM

5,833 posts, read 7,679,582 times
Just figure the cost of a pool guy into the equation. If it's still affordable, you can have your pool and avoid the maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul