Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2011, 12:23 PM

174 posts, read 470,041 times

Advertisements

Hey,

What parts of Nokomis are bad for airport noise (intersection level of detail would be appreciated). Specifically, how is it to the immediate west of the Hiawatha golf course. How about immediately east of lakes hiawatha and nokomis? Any help appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 01:00 PM

927 posts, read 2,465,885 times
I lived around Nokomis from 1991 - 2010. In the 90s, airplane noise was horrible. However, enough of the community complained and the airport changed 2 major factors in the early 00s:

First, MAC installed sound proof windows and doors in all houses within a 5 mile radius of the airport. I think Minnehaha Pkwy might have been the cut off, so I'm not sure if the homes near Hiawatha received the construction.

Second, Northwest (aka Delta) changed their flight patterns, and tried to fly over more parks and businesses and less residential homes.

So, to answer your question, the airplane noise and quality of living in the neighborhood has greatly increased in the past 10 years. If you’re new to the neighborhood, you’ll quickly adapt to a airplane flying over once in a while and will soon be able to tune it out pretty easily.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:12 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Airport noise is hit or miss from block to block. You really need to be at the house, inside and out, to get a feel for how bad the noise it. While the inside of many homes have been brought up to MAC standards, if you enjoy being outside, you will still have issues in areas where the noise is bad.

MAC Flight Tracker

This map gives flight path specifics to give you an idea how close a path is to where you are looking to move.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:49 PM

988 posts, read 1,827,413 times
Kind of a neat tool...at least give you some idea where the noise might be worse - especially if you zoom in on the map.

It is a good point to consider that even if your house has noise insulation you may have issues when outside.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:59 PM

116 posts, read 343,500 times
I live near the corner of E 47th st and 14th ave s in Shenandoah/Northrop...while there is some significant airport noise, it isn't too bad. After several months of living in the area, I have become used to it, and am even oblivious to it most of the time. I sleep during the day, and don't wake up due to the airport noise. BTW, I love this neighborhood.

Last edited by Minneapolitan; 09-07-2011 at 02:40 PM..

Old 09-07-2011, 03:25 PM

91 posts, read 268,865 times
We used to live in Morris Park near 43rd Ave and 55th. The airplane noise was annoying but not overwhelming (to me). It also was only during certain times of the day for the most part, early morning and late evening. It really does depend on the block. I thought it was worse when we were walking at the lakes, but it might just have been since I was outside.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:38 AM

12 posts, read 28,878 times
The are West of Hiawatha GC will get airport noise, but it is a bit north of the hot zone where it's really really bad. And the farther north you are, the better, by the time you get to 43rd I think it's a minor annoyance.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:43 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,655,638 times
Much of South and Southwest Mpls is in the flight path, so there's not much you can do except wait for the plane to go over before you start talking again.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:31 AM

679 posts, read 1,802,072 times
West of the golf course should be pretty good. The take-offs are fairly spread out and very few landings come in there. East of Nokomis depends how far south you are. That southeast corner of Nokomis is HORRIBLE. Take-offs, landings, wheels in your face, that constant low rumble of ground noise. East of Hiawatha should be fine.

We actually moved away from Nokomis, we were on the west side of the lake, we hated the airport noise so much. I was embarrassed to have friends over, I hated being outside. If you're really concerned, I would go sit out in front of the house and see what it's like. Make sure you observe landings and take-offs. They change direction depending on wind direction. It's just a fabulous neighborhood, really a shame the airport reduces the quality of life so drastically.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:17 AM

174 posts, read 470,041 times
I seem to notice it a lot at both lake Harriet and Nokomis....so I'm wonering if it's worse between the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul