U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 05:25 PM

2,784 posts, read 2,056,767 times

Advertisements

Then streets and avenues thing is not at all confusing. Avenues run north/south and streets run east west. Many are numbered. Avenues are labeled east or west based on their location to Nicolett. Many avenues in soutwest Minneapolis are in alphabetical order. Streets are north or south. Addressed correspond. Downtown is at an angle but that's really not a big deal. Some areas, like Northeast and south Minneapolis deviate from this, but these are the general rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 05:48 PM

396 posts, read 504,210 times
Minneapolis is easy. Nice easy numbers so you know exactly how far north or south you are.

St. Paul on the other hand. I always feel sorta lucky when i reach my destination there.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
Minneapolis is easy. Nice easy numbers so you know exactly how far north or south you are.

St. Paul on the other hand. I always feel sorta lucky when i reach my destination there.
I agree. I think that's what's kept people from Minneapolis from venturing over to St. Paul for so many years.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:54 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,201,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsub View Post
I do think the streets and avenues can be confusing. In south Minneapolis, streets run north/south and avenues run east/west. In north and northeast Minneapolis streets run east/west and avenues run north/south. In downtown the streets run northwest/southeast and avenues run northeast/southwest (they're at a 45 degree angle to the rest of the city). To add to the confusion main named roads sometimes don't obey the street/avenue conventions (Central Ave, University Ave in the north, Franklin Ave, Washington Ave, etc.). Another confusing part is that in a few places not all ramps exist. For instance you can't get from 94 west to 35W north (at least not directly). Overall, I don't find the roads confusing though.
There seems to be some confusion about the streets/avenues thing. That is everybody seems to know that streets run one direction and avenues run the other direction, but nobody seems to know which is which.

It's actually pretty simple: in North Minneapolis and NE Minneapolis, you *only* have avenues, with few (if any) exceptions. Any numbered Avenue is an E-W, any avenue with a name is N-S. The N-S Avenues are sometimes organized into groups that makes things (hypothetically) even easier: the 'alphabet' avenues, for instance (Aldrich-Zenith). Aldrich is the furthest avenue east, and Zenith the furthest avenue west, and they go alphabetically in between. So, if you are on 18th Avenue and Aldrich, and want to go to 19th and Byant, you need to go two blocks (one north, one west).

In South Minneapolis, some of the N-S Avenues are numbered, as well. So, to avoid confusion (again, hypothetically), everything that runs E-W in South Minneapolis is a street. So, you could be at 24th Street and 24th Avenue. If you want to go east or west, take the street; north or south, take the avenue.

Every street/avenue in the city is labeled East, West, North, South, Northeast or Southeast (as in West Lake Street, or South Emerson Avenue, or 32nd Avenue NE). But, the NE and SE roads typically *do not* run NE or SE-- roads really only run in those directions very close to the river. The direction merely refers t what part of Minneapolis you are in. On the Northside, everything is labeled N for 'North'. On the Northeast Side, everything is labeled 'NE', and on the very small Southeast Side, everything is labeled SE. In South Minneapolis (geographicaly, the largest part) every N-S Avenue is labeled S (South) to indicate thatyou are on the Southside, and every street running east-west is labeled W or E, depending on whether you are on th west or east side of 1st Avenue S. This is because many roads (such as Lyndale Avenue or Lowry Avenue) run from one edge of the city all the way through it to the other side of the city. So, if you see the directionals on streetsigns, that's just to let you know what side of the city you are on (which direction you are from downtown).

Actually, I guess that long explenation might look confusing. But take it apart part by part and compare it to a map: it actually makes a reasonable amount of sense...

...unlike St. Paul....

Old 09-13-2011, 11:03 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,201,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I agree. I think that's what's kept people from Minneapolis from venturing over to St. Paul for so many years.
My big thing with St. Paul was just to learn all of the big roads in order so that you would always know what you're parallel to and which two you are in between.

For instance, from west to east, the big N-S streets are Cretin, Cleveland, Prior (maybe), Fairview, Snelling, Hamline, Lexington, Victoria, Dale, Western, and Rice. If you were lost on an east-west between those two, you just kept going until you hit one, because those were the big ones that took you through most of the city.

As you might have guessed, I never really learned (and still don't know) the Greater Eastside

Old 09-14-2011, 06:02 AM

561 posts, read 486,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
It's actually pretty simple: in North Minneapolis and NE Minneapolis, you *only* have avenues, with few (if any) exceptions. Any numbered Avenue is an E-W, any avenue with a name is N-S. The N-S Avenues are sometimes organized into groups that makes things (hypothetically) even easier: the 'alphabet' avenues, for instance (Aldrich-Zenith). Aldrich is the furthest avenue east, and Zenith the furthest avenue west, and they go alphabetically in between. So, if you are on 18th Avenue and Aldrich, and want to go to 19th and Byant, you need to go two blocks (one north, one west).
You are correct about North Minneapolis being all Avenues (I had this wrong before). But, in Northeast Minneapolis it is Streets north/south and Avenues east/west. In South Minneapolis it is Streets east/west and Avenues north/south. And downtown and some of the areas near the U are at an angle to everything else and so the roads don't even run north/south or east/west. How could that possibly be confusing?

Old 09-14-2011, 07:03 AM

20,797 posts, read 32,438,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
My big thing with St. Paul was just to learn all of the big roads in order so that you would always know what you're parallel to and which two you are in between.

For instance, from west to east, the big N-S streets are Cretin, Cleveland, Prior (maybe), Fairview, Snelling, Hamline, Lexington, Victoria, Dale, Western, and Rice. If you were lost on an east-west between those two, you just kept going until you hit one, because those were the big ones that took you through most of the city.

As you might have guessed, I never really learned (and still don't know) the Greater Eastside
I agree, St. Paul is much easier to drive around then Minneapolis.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:10 AM

1,635 posts, read 922,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Then streets and avenues thing is not at all confusing. Avenues run north/south and streets run east west.
Wrong, GF. It's a lot more confusing than that: it changes between parts of the city:

S Mpls: Streets E/W, Avenues N/S (Except Franklin Ave, E/W)
NE Mpls: Streets N/S (Main thru 7th St NE, then President streets through Hoover), Avenues E/W (Except Central and University Ave, N/S)
Downtown and Old St Anthony: Streets run parallel to the river, avenues perpendicular (except Washington and University Ave, parallel to river)
N Mpls: Just about everything is an Avenue (except 2nd-6th St N): Numbered E/W, Named alphabetical N/S (Except for Lowry, Plymouth, Dowling, E/W)

It's partly because the city fathers of the 19th Century had to deal with the annexation of several settlements and towns which had existing street naming conventions.

Hey SouthernSmoke, care to weigh in on this crucial issue? We know you've got an opinion - you always have one ... maybe you can tell us the American Enterprise Institute's position on Alexandria VA street naming conventions? (We already know their one traffic rule: when at any intersection - turn right.)

Last edited by audadvnc; 09-14-2011 at 08:36 AM..

Old 09-14-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
Wrong, GF. It's a lot more confusing than that: it changes between parts of the city:

Hey SouthernSmoke, care to weigh in on this crucial issue? We know you've got an opinion - you always have one ... maybe you can tell us the American Enterprise Institute's position on Alexandria VA street naming conventions? (We already know their one traffic rule: when at any intersection - turn right.)
I guess that I didn't make it clear enough that I was only referring to south Minneapolis. I did say that NE and SE were different than what I described. My bad.

But why do you always have to introduce politics into everything? Can't you have a civil exchange with people who don't see eye to eye with you on every little thing? And I'll bet that you consider yourself to be "tolerant," don't you?

Old 09-14-2011, 02:38 PM

757 posts, read 1,192,887 times
I'm backward. I know St. Paul has no logic but I can go there and find what I want without a map and I don't know it any better than Minneapolis.

Downtown Minneapolis gives me a headache. I should take my own advice and just start driving it but since I have no need to be there I'll put it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul