U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-20-2011, 12:08 PM

2 posts, read 1,734 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am moving to the twin cities temporarily for work and need some help in finding a good neighborhood. I am a 25 year old male looking for a single bedroom place in a more lively neighborhood. I will be working in Eagan, right by the 494/35E junction. I am trying to keep my commute under a half hour and since I will only be here for 9 months (mostly through the winter) I am looking for a place that is convenient for parking/snow. Mostly I am looking for an area where I can walk to get a good beer and maybe hear some live music, not necessarily the college scene as I'm a little over that at this point. I am unsure if Minneapolis would be the place to live, I have read a lot about Uptown being a nice area, or if somewhere in Saint Paul would be just as interesting and maybe a little more affordable. Please help. Any suggestions or information would be much appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 12:27 PM

10,511 posts, read 8,501,536 times
I think Uptown might involve a little more in the way of a winter commute then you may want to deal with. You might check into Highland Park in St Paul which is a nice neighborhood and relatively close to Eagan.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:46 PM

37 posts, read 27,805 times
Uptown SUCKS for parking in the winter. I also think Highland would be a good area.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:15 PM

276 posts, read 395,982 times
Downtown St. Paul is nice. There are a lot of cool pubs like Mcgoverns and The Liffey for a beer and if you like hockey you'll be in luck. I had lots of fun nights in that area when I was your age. Another area in St. Paul would be Grand Avenue. There are nice bars and restaurants you can frequent plus it is walkable in the snow. Highland park to me has more of a college scene with St. Kate's, St. Johns, and Macalaster. Uptown would not be as convenient for driving as St. Paul.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 1,734 times
Thank you all for the help, I will definitely look into the Highland area. Danielle, I am a huge hockey fan so thank you for that little insight.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:48 PM

12 posts, read 13,770 times
All things being equal Uptown in the spot for you, but the commute to Eagan will be rough. The Selby-Dale of St. Paul area has a lot of what you are looking for, especially if you are south of Selby and closer to Grand.This was once the worst part of St. Paul, but those days are long gone. Still sketchy spots within a 1 mile radius, but for every scummy block in that radius, there is a block with a $1 million entry point, so it all balances out. And yes, there's some mid-range rentals in the area.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:28 PM

10,154 posts, read 14,954,876 times
I would skip Uptown. Too long of a commute in the winter. I agree with the suggestions to focus on St. Paul. What with Macalester, St. Thomas, St. Kate's, etc. in the same general area, you'll find lots of good places for beer and music; those areas have plenty of non-college students living in them, too. Live around the corner from O'Gara's or somewhere and you'll be set. (not sure what neighborhood that is; think it's Merriam Park)

Old 09-20-2011, 08:08 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,052,382 times
From a previous rant that I did about St. Paul on a Mpls. Vs Charlotte thread:

Off topic, but I actually like St. Paul better than Minneapolis. I think St. Paul is really underrated and by itself is better than Charlotte. Nothing beats the west side of St. Paul (one of the best group of neighborhoods in the USA imo)- the great schools, private universities (Concordia, St. Thomas, St. Kates, Hamlin, Mcalester) , friendliness, nice homes, stores, between Downtown Mpls. and St. Paul, close to the international airport etc. - the Mississippi River, Grand Ave, Summit Ave, Highland Park! It feels more down to earth and has generations of families holding down their neighborhood whether they be German, Irish (catholic), Jewish, Hmong etc. Its like a nicer version of Milwaukee right next to Minneapolis. If you get board you can just drive a few miles into Mpls. for the (bigger city experience), and soon, you'll be able to take the light rail to Mpls from St. Paul!
Let's hear it for St. Paul, weeeeeee!

Old 09-21-2011, 12:35 AM

4,933 posts, read 8,710,865 times
I'd look in St. Paul. There are a ton of neighborhood bars off of streets like Grand Ave and West 7th St. The neighborhoods around the 35E/Randolph exit are very decent. If you lived there you could just hop on the freeway and be to work in minutes (going opposite traffic too).

Old 09-22-2011, 03:08 PM

174 posts, read 285,118 times
Selby/Dale in St Paul - I walk to about 6 bars and a bunch more restaurants (not clubs type spots, good beer bars), can walk to the excel and downtown st paul. We love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul