Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2007, 05:07 PM

55 posts, read 208,818 times

Advertisements

Hi!1We are new to the Minneapolis area and are thinking of buying a condo. We ruled out downtown just because there seems to be a glut of apartments and we might have trouble re-selling. We are thinking of the LOOP CALHOUN which is by Lake Calhoun - anybody who has bought there?or what do you think of paying 400-500k for a 2 bed 2 bath condo in that area?

Last edited by becky609; 08-19-2007 at 05:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 06:10 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,561,493 times
I remember those being on the west side of the lake, right? A safe bet as there aren't as many condos in the area. The area isn't as desirable as say the Mosaic thats going up (Mosaic is more expensive??), but they look like well built condos that will certainly retain their value. I'd go for it. Also, those are near Pizza Nea on Market St. Do a lunch there.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:59 PM

Dear Minnehahapolitan -Thank you for your response. Will definetly go to Pizza Nea - am going for a second visit to the condos this week. As for Mozaic - loved the model unit but the area around there doesn't have much - a planned parenthood, rainbow , couple of restaurants...although that would change with the retail spaces also being planned but then they are not going to come up for another 3-4 years.
The loop condo is next to Barnes&Noble, Walgreens, dry-cleaners, nails, etc...across the street from the lakes and whole foods, etc..is 2 blocks away. Are there any other similar areas that we could look for as far as condos are concerned?

Old 08-19-2007, 11:02 PM

Hi again,,
The actual Uptown area is centered on Lake and Hennepin. Mosaic is closer to that. There are more restaurants,a library, specialty shops (magers and Quinn is a much better bookseller than B&N, IMO), nightlife. The loop is in more 'suburban Uptown". Both locations are great. I don't know how far along some of these developments are, but i remember a place called Track29on about 29th and Aldrich. The area isn't technically Uptown. There are also the 2626 West Lake condos (basically at the end of Lake). They are more expensive and I believe they are sold as shells that you do the interior work on. I like the Edina Realty site for Real Estate (no conncetion).
As for other neighborhoods, there aren't too many. Loring Park may be something to look into. Northeast Minneapolis has some development around Hennepin and Central. Hope I was of some help and that I didn't make too much word soup, kinda tired.
---Minnehahapolitan

Old 08-20-2007, 09:18 AM

Thanks for ur late night ramblings ...glad to know somebodyelse can't sleep as well
We are now looking at Maple Grove - today - my heart bleeds as I write this - but I am wondering if the extra 100k is worth living around Lake Calhoun!Plus everybody I know who has kids says "they just loooove the yard" so I don't know if I am really missing something here. I feel like the park is just as good enough as the yard....Will write in the evening once I am back from Maple Grove.Thanks for listening......

Old 08-20-2007, 10:47 AM

Kids can survive without a yard. A kid raised in Maple Grove will have alot of kids their age, but IMO will be much more naive. A kid raised in the city will have social contact with a diverse group of people. There will still be kids, but not a dozen on the block. Also remember, kids grow up fast. I get the sense that alot of older kids don't make as much use of their back yard. If your heart bleeds as you write this, that should tell you something, If you feel comfortable in the suburbs, Maple Grove is one of the better ones. Look into other factors in your move also. Do you work downtown or in the suburbs? If you work in the CBD, the price of a car over the next 18 years prob. is getting close to 100,000. If you work in the suburbs, that will be different. No one can really help you to make a definate decision here.
----Minnehahapolitan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul