U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Would you vote yes to build a new Vikings Stadium?
Yes, it is worth the 0.5% tax increase, we need to keep the Vikings in MN 28 42.42%
No, I shouldn't have to pay money for a stadium to be built, let them leave 38 57.58%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 01:50 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,586,690 times
Default Poll: Would you vote yes or no to a Vikings Stadium

This is given that Ramsey has a 0.5% tax increase and/or the State of MN tax increase as well to pay for the stadium as the current proposal stands. Do you want the Vikings to stay in MN or would you rather keep the tax money and see them move to another market?

Please explain why you chose your answer.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:08 PM

752 posts, read 1,094,563 times
Yes.

While I am awfully sick of hearing them whine about paying for the stadium and then seeing the massive contracts I feel like building a stadium now is the best option. If they leave at some point we will get another football team and build them a stadium and that will cost us more. We may as well build the thing now and get the tax revenue from those over the top salaries.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:46 PM

1,027 posts, read 970,606 times
No.

Is it a 0.5% increase? I was thinking it was more than that, but I'm not up-to-date on the details. Its more than the twins one, wasn't it?

I would probably vote against it. The biggest thing to me is that the proposed location is really out in the middle of nowhere. The shear amount of infastructure that will have to be developed out there is pretty daunting and it would be decades before things are built up enough to make a trip to a Vikings game a 'tourist destination'. Furthermore, I think city money should be used on true multi-use facilities that can be used most of the year, which I don't think will be the case here. Finally, NFL teams have been increasingly raising the prices so high that they don't fill their own stadiums because no one can afford to go. Why should the city support that?

In all reality, if the proposal was to tear down the MetroDome and build a newer, more modern facility there, I might be able to buy into that.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:06 PM

11,132 posts, read 6,066,907 times
Yes: To keeping the Vikings in Minnesota

I could care less for the Location in Arden Hills though it is nice that its off 694 and 35W its still unfair to fans in the South Metro. It should be more centrally located like its current location in Downtown East.

I honestly would want to see it in Downtown Saint Paul

Old 09-21-2011, 06:28 PM

20,804 posts, read 29,259,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Yes: To keeping the Vikings in Minnesota

I could care less for the Location in Arden Hills though it is nice that its off 694 and 35W its still unfair to fans in the South Metro. It should be more centrally located like its current location in Downtown East.

I honestly would want to see it in Downtown Saint Paul
I would rather drive to Arden Hills then downtown Minneapolis...

Old 09-21-2011, 06:38 PM

223 posts, read 232,153 times
Yes for purely selfish reasons. Our family loves professional sports and would like our son to have the opportunity to attend games nearby. We would drive up to an hour +/- away to see them.

Last edited by ceeb4; 09-21-2011 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 09-21-2011, 06:53 PM

11,132 posts, read 6,066,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I would rather drive to Arden Hills then downtown Minneapolis...
Well thats your opinion. If i lived in Bloomington in my opinion its much easier to drive 10 miles to the Metrodome than 20 miles to Arden Hills.

All you have to do is take the 3rd street exit off 35W and theres small parking lots all around the place. Its not like driving through Downtown West

Old 09-21-2011, 07:39 PM

2,580 posts, read 1,683,647 times
We now know that Zygi wants to develop a multi use facility in Arden Hills that would compete with the taxpayer owned and operated convention facilities in Minneapolis and St. Paul. I don't have any objection to him having a go at that, but I sure don't think the taxpayers should be subsidizing his efforts.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:57 AM

1,836 posts, read 2,489,980 times
I dunno, I guess it's cheaper to build one for the Vikings instead of them having them leave and then getting a new football team in the future and building them a stadium.
Though I don't know about it being in Arden Hills. I think downtown St. Paul would be awesome like someone said earlier. It could perk up downtown St. Paul a little, maybe, which some people may like, and others wouldn't.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:39 AM

1,517 posts, read 1,886,293 times
Those aren't the only two options.

I think it's highly unlikely that they're actually making alternate plans to move at this time.

I'm also opposed to any further increases in sales tax because sales taxes are inherently regressive. I was opposed to the Hennepin county sales tax for Target Field as well.

A new stadium is going to happen sooner or later, and it will (OK, definitely should) be downtown Minneapolis. But there will be no return on taxpayer investment with the kind of numbers they've been talking about. Ziggy needs to kick in more, and the poor shouldn't need to kick in a penny (as they would with a sales tax).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul