U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2007, 11:42 PM

4 posts, read 10,232 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I am waffling between a smallish apartment in Uptown (right by the transit hub and YWCA and Lyndale on the right) and a bigger house in Kenwood (couple blocks from the lakes and a few more blocks to the Walker. Any opinions on the area? Is there anything to do in Kenwood? What's the general scene? are these neighborhoods safe? Any vibrancy?
I'm a 20something East Coaster who hates cars (i.e. no driving), and loves streetlife, music, museums, and running around, and will be a grad student at the U.
uptown seemed kind of yuppie/college-age, but Kenwood seemed a bit dead. Are these correct observations? Anyone lived in either?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 11:31 AM

102 posts, read 424,778 times
You are correct you'd be happier in Uptown. Besides BIG beautiful homes in Kenwood there isn't much else.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:32 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,611,958 times
Yeah, Kenwood is the urban Gold Coast, but it is an older demographic and there isn't much commercial activity there. Unless you live a couple blocks off Hennepin, you'll prob. want a car there. If you want more vibrancy, commercial activity, transportation options, go with Uptown. They aren't far apart, but the differences are huge. If you like the yuppity atmosphere, Uptown is good. If you want an Uptown like neighborhood that isn't yuppified, look into Whittier and Northeast. Oh, and all these neighborhoods are safe. Whittier may seem a little sketchy to some, but I find it acceptable.

Old 08-24-2007, 03:31 PM

15 posts, read 48,826 times
Gaucho, go with Whittier for vibrancy (er, that's Minneapolis vibrancy, which is a whole lot different than the NYC kind!). You're close to all the lakes but also to cool cafes, bars and bike shops and artists' studios. (The more crime-ridden part is on the eastern end near Interstate 35W. . . not on the part around Lyndale, Harriet avenues.) Incidentally, I am buying a duplex there right off the popular greenway (Mpls has 2nd highest % biking commuters in U.S. after Portland) because a) I dislike cars and like the Whittier personality and b) I want to rent to hipster cool artsy and not too yuppified folks and there are tons of them in Whittier. It's young (i'm in my late 30s and feel a little older than the average) but not obnoxious college young. Oh, Whittier has the awesome organic French Meadow Bakery cafe, too. Good luck!

Old 08-25-2007, 11:14 PM

1,195 posts, read 2,121,645 times
I say go with Uptown - I only recently moved from there & miss it terribly. I've lived practically everywhere in the Mpls area & nothing beats uptown. I have friends who moved from NYC & love the Uptown area because it is similar to NYC, in that you have nearly everything in walking distance. I didn't own a car while living there & made out just fine. In fact, I lived just around the corner from the YWCA & just 2 blocks from Lake of the Isles.

Whittier does not compare - not even in the running - IMHO... neither would NE be comparable. Kenwood just doesn't sound like what you are after - but a great area nonetheless.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:41 AM

39 posts, read 220,723 times
I vote for uptown too! Especially since you have no car--I lived in Uptown for four years while in grad school, and I didn't get a car until my last year. I was able to get everywhere because the bus system is great in Uptown (many connections going to downtown, the university, Southdale, St. Louis Park, etc.), and it is a really lovely area to walk around...plenty of entertainment and restaurants and shopping within walking distance as well (depending on where you live, obviously).

Old 08-30-2007, 02:17 PM

8,185 posts, read 21,737,838 times
Let me get something clear-you are debating between a small apartment, or a whole house!?! Are you leaving out some information, or just insane!

Kenwood is a really desireable place to live, and even more yuppie then Uptown (personally, I believe that most of the yuppies that hang out in Uptown live somewhere else-most likely Edina or SLP).

Whittier is cool, but there are some shady parts, namely between 28th st. and Lake St. on 1st, 2nd, and Stevens Aves. 35th and Grand is shady as well and I had three friends who where robbed on 36th and Harriet and one on Harriet and 35th. I used to live on 25th and 1st ave, and had to deal with hookers using our hallway to do whatever and there used to be alot of Mexican drug dealers, but that has been cleaned up a few years ago. Anything near Franklin is hit or miss, but I would generally avoid it and the closer to 35W the shadier as well as almost the entire stretch of Lake st between 35W and Lyndale.

Personally, I think that the area around the Wedge is better, but it is all a matter of opinion.

I lived in Uptown as well and thought that it was pretty cool. No hassles what so ever, lots of shopping and entertainment that are easy to walk to or ride a bike plus lots of bus lines to take you further.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:10 AM

4 posts, read 10,232 times
Thanks for everyone's input. The house was a whole big floor with 2 roommates, and the small apartment has a roommate too. The apartment is kind of crappy (maintained but no character), but I think I'll go with that for at least my first year...and then we'll see how it goes. I'm coming from NYC so I'm hoping to lessen the transition a bit. I feel insane passing up a nice house, but as they say in real estate-location, location, location. Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul